PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Plane - is it one of a kind?

James Taglienti
12-23-2009, 5:58 PM
Does anyone know if this is a manufactured piece or a craftsman made item? The casting is a "shell" into which a chunk of figured walnut was placed. I know that infill castings were available for a long time. I bought it at a barn sale here in the US- i have never seen an infill "in the wild" before. I cant determine if it is american or british made. It works pretty good for 12 bucks i guess. by the way jim if you see this, this is that cracked rabbet plane i was talking about. i can't decide if i should sell it or keep it!

Callan Campbell
12-23-2009, 7:54 PM
I vote you keep it. Find out more about it, but keep it for sure. That's one pretty plane.

Jim Koepke
12-23-2009, 8:34 PM
There are a few things that make me think it is a home made plane and not a production piece.

If it takes a good shaving, my vote would be to keep it or send it to me.

A skew rabbet is a handy plane to have.

jim

Richard Niemiec
12-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Its garbage, and dangerous. Send it to me for proper disposal.......

This looks very suckworthy to me, so YOU SUCK.....

george wilson
12-23-2009, 11:19 PM
It is not correctly made enough to be a professional plane.The wedge is too crude,as is the escapement. probably a one off casting. Also,the wood is too fancy to be a production plane. The wedge may be a replacement,but the escapement is still not well formed,just moderately well formed.

Definitely a keeper,though,as it is a one of a kind,and not as bad as I might be making it sound. Its just not quite professionally done in a few areas,enough so to tell that it was a one off.

Since the metal work detailing is the best part,I'd say the maker was a metal worker,possibly in a foundry where he could make a pattern and get it cast,then finish it up.

James Taglienti
12-24-2009, 10:28 AM
All good observations. The photos are more impressive than the actual plane for sure. They don't pick up the damage to the casting in a few places. When i had the plane apart i inspected the inside and there were no markings, foundry marks, anything. There was a funky little "fin" inside that was acting as a buttress- it went from the sidewall of the plane to the sole, just behind the throat. Which, coincidentally is where planes get a lot of stress. The infill is notched to fit over it.