PDA

View Full Version : Donut chuck - I was gonna wait, but......

John Keeton
12-23-2009, 5:57 PM
A case of - "it ain't big 'nuf, but it ain't small 'nuf either!"

For my second bowl attempt I wanted to try a more rounded shape (to see if I could undercut a bit without blowing it up), and do then do a lid (curly maple) with a finial (ebonized walnut.)

So, I did the bowl, and didn't destroy it (it was iffy a couple of times!) -
Then, I removed it and put my Cole jaws on the chuck, and did a quick measurement to set the bumpers - UH OH!!! The jaws won't go that small in expansion mode, and I can't grip this thing in contraction mode because of the shape!!:mad:
Well, I will just expand the 50mm jaws with some padding - NOPE!! Won't go that big!!:mad:

Right about here is where I realize that experience means everything!!:o One of you seasoned turners would have made this thing to fit your chuck rather than trying to make the chuck fit the piece.

Well, Sean Hughto, thanks for the recent pics!! I guess this bowl won't get finished until after Christmas, but at least I will own a donut chuck a little earlier than planned!:D;)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-23-2009, 5:59 PM
John,

Keep in mind, when you make your donut chuck. You can make several different donuts with different size holes to capture different size objects.

Alan Trout
12-23-2009, 6:01 PM
John you can always do a jamb chuck as well. That is what I use 98% of the time.

Alan

Sean Hughto
12-23-2009, 6:02 PM
John, assuming you have a bandsaw or jig saw, it will take you longer to go to the store and get the bolts and other sundries you might need, than to actually make the thing. Go for it!

John Keeton
12-23-2009, 6:06 PM
John,

Keep in mind, when you make your donut chuck. You can make several different donuts with different size holes to capture different size objects.Good plan!

John you can always do a jamb chuck as well. That is what I use 98% of the time.

AlanAlan, I am not sure I know what you are talking about? Do I have to use the tailstock with it? I really want to access the entire bottom, as I planned to use the medallion in the bottom of all the bowls.

Sean, I may email you and see if you can send me a few pics of yours if you don't mind?!?

Sean Hughto
12-23-2009, 6:34 PM
I don't mind at all. I can post a detailed description of what I did with some pics of the finished product from a couple angles right here in this thread. That way, if more advanced types want to chime in with advice that I don't know, we can all benefit. Sound good?

Walter Hickman
12-23-2009, 6:42 PM
Sean;

Sounds great - go for it - don't keep us waiting.:)

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2009, 6:44 PM
John I have a smaller donut chuck that will take from a 4" bowl to 9" and then a larger one that will take from 6" to 16" bowl. Each inch has it's own donut. So the small one has 6 rings and the big one has 11 rings.

Mike Lipke
12-23-2009, 6:44 PM
Go here:
http://www.woodturninglearn.net/

and scroll down to the 9th article called "Straka Chuck". It will download a wonderful how to article by Alan Lacer on how to make one. Lots of photos and tips. Great article.

Dan Forman
12-23-2009, 7:22 PM
John, I'm in the process of making one based on the Alan Lacer article. We seem to be in parallel universes here.

Dan

Rick Hutcheson
12-23-2009, 7:24 PM
I made the donut chuck to go on my cole jaws. That seems to be the best of both.
http://www.scrollsaws.com/images/Lathe/ColeDonutPics1.JPG
http://www.scrollsaws.com/images/Lathe/ColeDonutPics5.JPG
At the bottom of the page here are some more pictures of the setup.
http://www.scrollsaws.com/WoodLathe/woodlatheColeJaw.htm

Greg Just
12-23-2009, 7:47 PM
A donut chuck and a tool rack are on my list of things to make next week. Thanks for sharing the links to the various articles.

Alan Trout
12-23-2009, 7:47 PM
John, yes you do have to use the tailstock but it is still possible to cut for the medallion if you take it nice and easy. The nub left will have to be taken off with a sharp chisel or other means, but still possible.

Good Luck

Alan

Chris Stolicky
12-23-2009, 8:01 PM
Ah, just go ahead and build a vacuum system.... ;)

John Keeton
12-23-2009, 8:04 PM
I don't mind at all. I can post a detailed description of what I did with some pics of the finished product from a couple angles right here in this thread. That way, if more advanced types want to chime in with advice that I don't know, we can all benefit. Sound good?Sounds great, Sean!!

Anyone else that wants to chime in with some ideas - sounds like it is a popular topic, and at least Greg and I are ready to start one.

And, thanks for the other links, too! The more ideas, the better.

Sean Hughto
12-23-2009, 8:34 PM
Wow, with an Alan Lacer detailed article and the other posts showing fairly fancy fully adjustable versions, my newbie 2 pesos is probably wasted, but here goes. Mine does have the benefit of being pretty quick and dirty. ;-) I adhered closely to the kiss principle - keep it simple stupid.

{corresponding pics attached below}

MATERIALS:

1. I already had a spare faceplate - As I think Bill Grumbine suggests on one of his DVDs, I used the face plate that came with my lathe, because as he notes, they tend to be rather oversized and not one's go to plate anyway.

2. I also had scraps of ply around of the appropriate size and thickness (the back plate was around 3/4" and the front somewhere in the 1/2" range). For my planned needs - chucking bowls in the 11 to 14 inch range - I compassed out circles in the 15 1/2" range for my 1642 (I made sure to let the point dig in at the center so that I could find that center easily for later).

3. I went to the hardware store and bought some 6" carriage bolts (3/8ths) with washers and winguts; some thing foam shelf liner; spray adhesive' and some hose (see pictures).

BUILD IT

4. I cut the two circles on the band saw freehand. A circle cutting jig would have made them prettier, but that was not necessary.

5. I used my compass to mark the inner circle - I approximated this from the bowl I was working on, so I never even took a measurement. I drilled a hole big enough to fit my jig saw blade through and cut out the inner circle. I then used a rasp and some sand paper to clean things up and round the inner edge of the inner circle - nothing fancy - about 5 minutes work.

6. I marked two right angle diameter lines ont he back plate and then scribed a circle about 3/4 of an inch in from the edge with a compass. This showed me where to drill. I also marked a circle to fit and center the faceplate exactly centered.

7. I placed the two circles together and used blue tape around teh circumference to keeep them aligned while I went to the drill press to drill the holes thorugh both at the same time.

8. I used a chisel to quickly cut a shallow square recess for the carriage bolt head. This keep the bolt from turning while you tighten the wingnuts.

9. I sprayed adhesive on the face of the back plate and pressed a chunk of the foam onto it. After a minute, I used a razor knife to neated things up around the edge and holes.

10. I slit the hose with sissors and fit it to the interior of the inner hole onthe front plate. I cut it to length after it was most of the way in place to get a good fit.

11. Mount the faceplate with some screws and add the bolts and it is ready for service.

I use the tail stock to help with alignment and use it for all but he last clean up as well leaving only a nub to get rid of. It doesn't get int he way, and makes everything more solid. I don't think I'd use this at high rpms, but it didn't seem necessary just to remove a tenon and shape the bottom a bit.

Hope this was of use to someone. It ain't the be all end all donut, but it works, and is easy and quick to make.

Joshua Dinerstein
12-24-2009, 12:03 AM
I made the donut chuck to go on my cole jaws. That seems to be the best of both.
Wow. That is a truly amazing idea. I am going to have to make some for myself.

I love it here on the creek. I find amazing amounts of help, friendliness and fabulous ideas. I think the combination of the buttons on the cole jaws and the donut plate would make it centered and very secure.

Joshua