PDA

View Full Version : Front Porch Column Completed

Kevin Swindle
10-11-2004, 9:07 AM
I finally completed the new column for our front porch. The column is made of cypress. This was also my first attempt at making cove molding on my table saw. I also included a photo of the porch how it looked before. You can see it was in great need of an upgrade. Thanks for looking.

PS. I made the screen door a few years ago as a Christmas present for my wife.

Tyler Howell
10-11-2004, 9:17 AM
Nice Kev. I love the Door too!:cool:

Pete Lamberty
10-11-2004, 9:27 AM
Hi Kevin, Really nice job on both the column and the door. While looking at the photo that shows the completed column and railing , I was wondering how it would look if you put another column against the brick wall. Then I thought that it would take up to much space. Then I thought that you could put up a column that is only half as wide. It might frame the door very nicely. Although with the column you would have to put another brace at the top. This might be a problem visually. All in all it looks great.

Kelly C. Hanna
10-11-2004, 9:29 AM
Looks good Kevin...I really like that screen door too!

Kevin Swindle
10-11-2004, 9:33 AM
Hi Kevin, Really nice job on both the column and the door. While looking at the photo that shows the completed column and railing , I was wondering how it would look if you put another column against the brick wall. Then I thought that it would take up to much space. Then I thought that you could put up a column that is only half as wide. It might frame the door very nicely. Although with the column you would have to put another brace at the top. This might be a problem visually. All in all it looks great.

Hi Pete, Thanks for your comments. I have thought about adding a half column to frame the door. I also thought that if I made another column and split it in half I could put one half at both sides of the porch opening with the one full column in the middle.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-11-2004, 9:50 AM
Kevin....I like both the column and the door! Great work!

Michael Stafford
10-11-2004, 9:53 AM
Kevin, your column is much nicer and really adds a decorative touch to the front entrance. Nice job!!!

Jim Becker
10-11-2004, 10:15 AM
Kevin, the "after" is much preferable. Your new column turned out great and really gives the space a richer look. Great job!