PDA

View Full Version : Jacobs Power Collet

Ron Taylor
03-28-2003, 10:32 AM
I just received the WoodRat system that I ordered Monday. The first thing I did was scan through the books, then view the video. The Jacobs Power Collet is mentioned in the written material and shown in use in the video. I've never seen or heard of a Jacobs Power Collet, but it certainly looked convenient.

The only place I can find this device listed is Amazon.com and they say it is "Out of stock or discontinued". The Jacobs web-site doesn't answer.

I did find a few reviews on the collet. Some liked it, some didn't. The majority said they'd buy it.

Does anyone here own this device? Is it really as convenient as it looks in the vid? Where can one be obtained?

Dave Richards
03-28-2003, 1:49 PM
I just got one last week for my DW625 from Grainger. Grainger tiem number 4PY22 and $47 or so, if memory serves. I called them up because their website says it's subject to on hand quantities (duh, since it's a long discontinued product). The first one they shipped was mispackaged and didn't fit the DW625. They found a second one and had it shipped to my local store and I made the swap.

When I was on the phone getting the second one tracked down, the guy said there are still a number of them around the country. At least for the DeWalt. I don't know about others.

By the way, the blue wrench shown in the video is something Martin made. He was starting talks with Jacobs regarding distribution of the PowerCollet (it is written that way) when they discontinued it.

Here's a quote from Henry Godfrey, the marketing guy for WoodRat.

"The blue wrench was Martin's idea. We were looking into selling the collets and were trying out some improvements. Then Jacobs dicontinued the product line. A shame really as routers are far more fiddly then they could be."

I haven't used it much but the PowerCollet sure does make for quick bit changes.

Enjoy your Rat, too. I love mine.

Ed Falis
03-28-2003, 2:39 PM
Dave,

Do you know whether the power collet came in a version for the Bosch 1613? If so, have you got Grainger's number so I can give them a call?

Thanks,

- Ed

Dave Richards
03-28-2003, 2:52 PM
I did a search at grainger.com. I plugged in 4PY23 just for kicks. They say it is for Bosch 1615. Also discontinued.

4PY21 Porter Cable 690 series.
4PY24 Makita 3612
That appears to be the extent of it.

Grainger's number 800-570-7471

good luck.

Ed Falis
03-28-2003, 6:55 PM
Thanks, Dave

John Lucas
03-28-2003, 7:24 PM
I have followed the Jacobs Power Collet for some time. When it was first introduced, I tried to get a sample from the product manager that I had met at a national show. She said they were discontinuing the product...and wouldn't say why. When I contacted her office later on, it was no longer and the called was transferred to Customer Service down soulrh somewhere. I got a very polite and knowledgeable rep who said that it was sold to a different company. I called that number and play telephone tag for days. Finally I got an answer "discontinued but there might be some pieces in the distribtuion."
I know that the Woodrat people love it...as would I if it worked. Fortunately or unfortunately, there is none available for my Hitachi M12V. Fact is, I would have a hard time using any addition to a router where the manufacture isnt ready to stand behind their product. It's spinning at 22,000 rpm and extending the bit a good amount.

Garrett Lambert
03-28-2003, 7:43 PM
FWIW, two WW retailers in my city strongly advised me against buying one last year even though both had them in stock (Makita 3612). They each said that it didn't hold so well as the stock collett, and that customers had been returning them.

Caveat emptor.

Cheers, Garrett

Jim DeLaney
03-28-2003, 7:58 PM
When they first came out, I bought on (at Woodcraft) for my PC 690. I used it for about fifteen minutes, and maybe three bit changes, then returned it for a refund.

It was harder than advertised to use, and had a lot of runout, plus it added about an inch to the shaft length, thus increasing both runout and bearing side stress. I really didn't like it.

At the Woodcraft store, they let me open and try about three or four of them, and they were all pretty much the same - unsatisfactory.

<Center><FONT FACE="Comic Sans MS" COLOR="Blue">Of course, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong.

Jim D.</FONT></Center>

jack duren
03-28-2003, 8:09 PM
ive used the jacobs on the dw625 for about 3 years. ive really not had too many problems with it. so it stays on. no noticeable runout..

but i dont recommend its use if you use 1/4 shank bits. i used a straight bit to run some blind dadoes and the bit was dull(only bit i had that size) penetrated through the work piece and up about 2' in front of me and landed just behind the router table fence. could have been from the dull bit, but the 1/4 adapter insert was still attached in flight:eek: ...

if you intend on running raised panels for hours at a time(example) you do not want this adapter. it does not like continuious heat. will melt the top of the jacobs plastic opening. doesnt seem to hurt anything but it certainally doesnt help either..jack

Dave Richards
04-01-2003, 6:51 AM
Well, I finally used the PowerCollet a bit on the weekend and also last night. It worked just fine. I had no trouble with it at all. On the WoodRat you do have the advantage of closing the collet by pushing the router down against the plate. Opening it is pretty easy, too.

I cut some dovetails last night--the first ones actually--and they came out perfectly. I sure like the shape of the WoodRat bits better than the carbide ones I have.

Ron Taylor
04-01-2003, 8:43 AM
on the power collet. I'm not in that much of a hurry anyhow, and with split reviews, I'll let younger and braver folks do the pilgrim thing.

Haven't had a chance to use the Rat yet. Still waiting on the 625 from Amazon.

Dave Richards
04-01-2003, 9:14 AM
Did you order the Plunge Bar for the 625? That is the handiest attachment.

Ron Taylor
04-01-2003, 11:02 AM
I got the plunge bar, all of the HSS bit sets, raised panel bits, and collet extensions.

I did not order the carbide bits, but have a fairly good set of general purpose bits in 1/4" already.

As a "special", the unit came with the aluminum rails and miter box. Haven't looked yet, but if I understand the written material and vid, the miter box is cheaply made and I will probably make another out of quality materials once the Rat is up and working.

Dave Richards
04-01-2003, 11:41 AM
The mitre box appears to be made out of low density fiberboard (is there such a thing?) and the sheet packed with it suggests using one of them as a template and making your own. I haven't done any more with it than look at it yet.

The Alu rails are a nice addition to the Rat. You should take a look here (http://groups.msn.com/ukwoodworking/messages.msnw) if you haven't. Look through the photos. Several folks have made various stops and other things that work with the rails.

I assume you've been to theWoodRat Forum (http://www.communityzero.com/woodrat) as well.

Glen Smith
04-01-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Did you order the Plunge Bar for the 625? That is the handiest attachment.

What plunge bar are you talking about? Doing a search on Amazon, I see a fine depth adjuster that I already have. Is this plunge bar only for a wood rat system using a 625? :confused:

Glen

Dave Richards
04-01-2003, 12:44 PM
Glen, the PlungeBar is something invented by Martin Godfrey who also invented the WoodRat. Go to http://www.chipsfly.com to see what I'm referring to.

They make them for most plunge routers and it allows you to operate the plunge function with one hand. I've got one on both the 625 as well as the DW621. It makes the router easier to adjust when it is in the table as well as while hand holding it.http://www.woodrat.com/plungebar/626_Profiling.jpg http://www.woodrat.com/plungebar/M12V_RTable.jpg