PDA

View Full Version : Mini drawknife

Jeff Wittrock
12-23-2009, 3:09 PM
This is a small drawknife of sorts that I made today to work on some "faired" joints that need to be shaped on a small inside radius of ~1/2". A spokeshave would probably do a better job, but this was easy to make and so far has cost me only time.

Nothing very refined here. I salvaged the steel from a worthless harbor freight chisel. I attempted to harden the blade using a propane torch and a quench in used motor oil. I can't say for certain how successful I was, but the blade did take a good edge, and did not roll over like I thought it would.

Even though it is a bit crude, it is already serving its purpose. If nothing else, it has given me a bit of confidence to try making some other tools. I think I'll buy some O1 bar stock to and have a try at making a wooden body spokeshave.

-Jeff

Bill Houghton
12-23-2009, 8:18 PM
Making your own tools is really freeing - you realize how much you can do.

Bob Haverstock
12-23-2009, 8:46 PM
Jeff,

Ya did good. I make most of my edged tools. I'm thinking you are hooked on making tools too. I have a draw knife making demo to do in a couple of months.

Bob

Larry Marshall
12-23-2009, 10:10 PM
This looks like a tool worth owning. Thanks for the idea. You might want to temper the blade though. The heat/quench generates hardness but also brittleness. Tempering will help the blade hold an edge.

Cheers --- Larry