PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy adhesive sandpaper for sharpening?

Chris S Anderson
12-23-2009, 2:55 PM
I could not find any at the big box stores, and amazon only has larger grits. I found a few sites that sell 10 yards or more, but I really don't need that much for sharpening my irons. I guess I would settle for 200 400 and 600, but would like to go higher.

Thanks

Chris

john bateman
12-23-2009, 3:00 PM
If you're attaching the paper to a flat surface, such as granite or glass, you can just spritz some water on it, then lay regular wet/dry paper down. It will "stick" until the water evaporates.

Jim Koepke
12-23-2009, 3:03 PM
Chris,

I have bought PSA rolls from Supergrit dot com. They also have PSA sheets.

They have regular stock and they also sell close outs from other dealers.

They may have what you want.

I have no affiliation with them, just a happy customer.

jim

glenn bradley
12-23-2009, 3:20 PM
Lowe's carries 3M Super 77 spray adhesive for about $11. I have been on the same can for about 3 years. I use it for scary sharp, scroll patterns and even material stacking for gang sawing.

On my scary sharp I run the coarse grits on marble tile and 400 grit through .3 micron on glass. When it is time to change paper on either of these surfaces, just peel a corner and give a slow steady pull. Residue cleans off easily with naphtha (lighter fluid).

On porous surfaces this adhesive will become pretty permanent after several hours so for gang sawing, stick it, do your cuts and pull it apart. On tile and glass, I have pulled paper off after 6 months with no issue. If you need something with less grip, 3M Blue 72 is "re-positionable".

If you prefer PSA (5 micron is about 2500 grit):

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=ST-MAF.XX&Category_Code=&Search=micro%20abrasive

They have non-PSA as well. Lee Valley is another common source; other sources are as near as Google.

Greg Lucas
12-23-2009, 3:21 PM
I've purchased from HERE (http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/mirka-autokut-psa-sandpaper-rolls-p-12052.aspx) a few times and keep a supply on hand for some large sanding blocks I use. I was using them for sharpening also but got tired of cleaning off the adhesive every time plus you can' find PSA in 2000 grit and I wouldn't use it if I could as the adhesive would create an uneven surface.

Jim Koepke
12-23-2009, 3:39 PM
I've purchased from HERE (http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/mirka-autokut-psa-sandpaper-rolls-p-12052.aspx) a few times and keep a supply on hand for some large sanding blocks I use. I was using them for sharpening also but got tired of cleaning off the adhesive every time plus you can' find PSA in 2000 grit and I wouldn't use it if I could as the adhesive would create an uneven surface.

I know Lee Valley sells a 9 micron PSA for their Mk.II Power Sharpening System. It is likely that Worksharp has a similar paper for their sharpening system.

I think the evenness of the adhesive is something that is determined by the quality of the manufacturer. The Lee Valley abrasive PSA sheets do fine. I find it is more important to avoid air bubbles under the sheet than any problems caused by the adhesive.

jim

Chris S Anderson
12-23-2009, 3:46 PM
Thanks, I just ordered from Tools For Working Wood. They had a nice package for scary sharp sharpening.

Randy Klein
12-23-2009, 4:14 PM
Thanks, I just ordered from Tools For Working Wood. They had a nice package for scary sharp sharpening.

That's where I get mine.

Greg Lucas
12-23-2009, 4:40 PM
I know Lee Valley sells a 9 micron PSA for their Mk.II Power Sharpening System. It is likely that Worksharp has a similar paper for their sharpening system.

I think the evenness of the adhesive is something that is determined by the quality of the manufacturer. The Lee Valley abrasive PSA sheets do fine. I find it is more important to avoid air bubbles under the sheet than any problems caused by the adhesive.

jim

I hadn't seen anything PSA in that fine a grit. I'm ordering a few 10 packs from TWW myself right now. Hoping the adhesive is applies in a even coat to keep it flat. The adhesive on the auto toolbody paper is a bit bumpy but at those grits it doesn't matter.

Matt Benton
12-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Surprised no one's mentioned Industrial Abrasives yet...

http://www.industrialabrasives.com/

Jim Kountz
12-24-2009, 5:05 AM
I use spray adhesive and make my own, even for my Worksharp 3000. See no need to buy "special" paper when its so easy to DIY.

Kent A Bathurst
12-24-2009, 9:12 AM
FWIW -

I use a 4" x 12" x 1/2" thick plate glass. I have 150 PSA stuck to it. I tear the standard wet-or-dry sheets (9" x 11") in half, and just lay them on the 150g. They don't move - except for very coarse grits like 220 - 320, which will move on the "push" stroke, but not on the "Pull" stroke. YMMV.

Since I only use the coarse grits for the first pass on a new blade/chisel to "grind" the bevel angle (if needed), for that I'll just use a series of pull strokes. Or, I just run them across the 150 grit that is adhered to the glass.

When I started with Scarysharp, I went the PSA route as well, but learned over time that I didn't need to attach them.

Don Naples
12-24-2009, 12:07 PM
The Japan Woodworker carries a selection of very fine sharpening film abrasives.

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&dept_id=13514