PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a Gloat

Roy Hill
12-23-2009, 2:10 PM
Hey folks,

I asked for help a few weeks ago with the purchase of my first lathe. All who responded were very helpful and I considered all suggestions. However, I didn't jump in immediately and purchase a machine.

Well, patience paid off.:D

Today, I picked up a JWL-1014, about 1 year old, with a Talon chuck (with extra jaws), drill chuck, and face plate. Found the lathe on a Craigslist post.

Also included were two boxes of exotic wood turnings, 15 chisels, about 20 pen kits, a One Way chisel sharpening jig, everything to make and assemble pens and a few more goodies. All for $550.

I know, no pics, didn't happen.:D

Well, here are a few pictures (at least I think I figured out how to attach photos).

Roy Hill

Mauricio Ulloa
12-23-2009, 2:24 PM
Looks like you are all set....!!!!! Enjoy your turning!!!!! :)

Bill Bolen
12-23-2009, 2:33 PM
What a great score!! The accessories alone are worth the price. Enjoy your Christmas gloat. It goes downhill fast from here. With all that good stuff to use I feel an upgrade coming. Don't fight it,,,you will never win...Bill...

paul ashman
12-23-2009, 3:40 PM
Welcome to the Vortex. I think that Dante' said it best all those many years ago, "abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Merry Christmas from the Redneck Riviera!

Kyle Iwamoto
12-23-2009, 4:04 PM
Awesome score! Sorby gouge? That is a sweet little lathe. I have one. I don't have a Oneway chuck though...

Greg Wittler
12-23-2009, 4:10 PM
Definately Gloat-worthy. i must have spent a couple thousand for maybe half of what you have there.

ROY DICK
12-23-2009, 4:10 PM
Glad you were able to find all of this for the small price you paid.
Do you feel guilty? :D

Roy

Roy Hill
12-23-2009, 4:21 PM
I don't know what I will turn. Maybe some pens. If I don't turn pens my son does and he can use all of the pen stuff.

I think I said it was a JWL-1014, wrong, it's a JML-1014, but what does a newbie know?:confused:

I am looking forward to turning something. I love woodworking and it doesn't matter much what I'm doing with the wood, turning, sawing, routing, etc.

I figure this lathe will do me for a long while but, from listening to you guys the fever only gets worse.

Thanks and have a blessed Christmas.:)

Roy

Roy Hill
12-23-2009, 4:23 PM
Roy,

Yes a little bit, but I didn't try to get him to come down on his asking price, so that should count for something.:D

Roy Hill

Steve Schlumpf
12-23-2009, 4:41 PM
Well Merry Christmas to you! Great gloat! Looks like you have everything to get started turning! Have fun with it all!

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2009, 7:08 PM
Wow and a Merry Christmas to you Roy. You hit the motherload with that outfit. You did well.

gary Zimmel
12-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Congrats on your great score Roy.
To me $550 was a steal...

Dan Forman
12-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Good things come to those who wait!

I guess that ought to keep you out of trouble for a while.

Dan

Joe Adams
12-24-2009, 12:15 AM
You done good!

John Keeton
12-24-2009, 7:29 AM
Roy, that is an unbelievable deal! I went thru the pics a couple of times - Wolverine jig, Vari-grind, pen blanks of all species, finishing materials, chuck, Cole jaws, and on and on......

Like Bill said, the accessories alone were easily worth the price! You did great, and even if you do upgrade soon, most all of this can be used on another lathe. Great buy!!

Now, this evil bunch will be after you big time to sink deeper into the vortex! They are very adept at their sly and sneaky ways - tread carefully!

Have a great (already is!) Christmas!