PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 drills, corded

Rick Moyer
12-23-2009, 2:07 PM
I have been using a 1/4 corded drill at the bench for misc drilling, especially for pilot holes while using the cordless for screws, etc. for assembly. anybody else like this method? Unfortunately the cord was very shot as the drill was very old (Black and Decker, all metal, probably 50 years old), and upon taking the drill apart to replace said cord, I discovered most of the interior wiring was also shot as well. There were other issues too, so, long story short, I have to replace the drill.

The nice part about this drill was it was small in body, but still very good quality. Any suggestions on a replacement? I would like to have another corded for the reliability and the fact it will be used near an outlet. I don't need a big drill but prefer something of quality. I am thinking about the Milwaukee but have another question about 1/4 drills: Why would one want a 4000 rpm over a 2800 rpm? price is about the same so I wonder which one would suit me better. I suspect the higher rpm would be for sanding or something; can anyone enlighten me?

Callan Campbell
12-23-2009, 2:30 PM
Sorry about your drill. My wife's family probably has the same drill you're talking about. I marvel at its long life too. Welcome to replacement drill quandry, as the manufs. don't seem to want to make anything that small of a total size package in a corded drill. They are however making some interesting new units in cordless tools right now , but only lower voltage cordless, like 4 to 12 volt range to match the battery size to the overall tool.
As for your new choices, I'd go with the 2800 RPM drill, as the 4000 max unit is too easy to cook lower grade steel bits or drill bits if you happen to own any. Plus, with hand held drilling, a lower RPM is easier to start a bit or drill on your cross marks, then speed it up a bit once you're sure you've got it all lined up. Even with a decent variable speed switch/trigger, it's probably harder if your drill gearing is ready to scream up to 4000 RPM at a moments notice if you hold the switch a bit too tight.:rolleyes:

Michael Schwartz
12-23-2009, 2:43 PM
Take a look around second hand/thrift stores, I saw a handful 1/4" drills as you describe at one for $2.00 each a few years ago. If they still had them I would pick one up for you.

Otherwise I would take a look at a small 9.6 volt LI cordless drill such as the bosch or makita.

Bill White
12-23-2009, 3:04 PM
My trusty DeWalt 3/8" VS has been a workhorse. I'd buy it again.
Bill

Victor Robinson
12-23-2009, 3:44 PM
I suspect Bill and I have the same drill - DeWalt DWD115K 3/8" VSR. About $65 on Amazon.

It is a workhorse...maybe a bit heavier-duty than you're looking for though.

Jacob Mac
12-23-2009, 4:10 PM
I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-D10VH-8-Inch-Drill-Keyless/dp/B0000EI97B/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1261602533&sr=8-3

it stays on my bench, and I use it frequently. In fact, I have abused the daylights out of this drill. And so far, it is still working like a champ. Might be worth a look.

Bill ThompsonNM
12-23-2009, 7:26 PM
+1 for the hitachi, I bought a refurbished one for my brother in law last year and I've regretted not picking up one for me ever since. ($34!)
Great drill , light, lots if torque, rock solid

Joe Wiliams
12-23-2009, 10:27 PM
$20.00... Is this legit?

http://www.reconditionedsales.com/products/74B3C543-900C-4093-86BC-67EE2C658922.aspx?source=email091211

Ken Burner
12-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Looks like it'll only cost you $20 to find out. Let us know. ;)

Ken

John Lohmann
12-25-2009, 4:18 PM
Very legit, they have pretty good deals. I have the same drill reconditioned & it works fine. Can't go wrong for $20.

Scott Vigder
12-25-2009, 9:29 PM
I bought the hitahi ros from this place and it is a great tool at an unbelievably cheap price. Heck, I can always use another corded drill around the shop...

kenneth kayser
12-26-2009, 1:48 AM
I have been using a 1/4 corded drill at the bench for misc drilling, especially for pilot holes while using the cordless for screws, etc. for assembly. anybody else like this method? Unfortunately the cord was very shot as the drill was very old (Black and Decker, all metal, probably 50 years old), and upon taking the drill apart to replace said cord, I discovered most of the interior wiring was also shot as well. There were other issues too, so, long story short, I have to replace the drill.

The nice part about this drill was it was small in body, but still very good quality. Any suggestions on a replacement? I would like to have another corded for the reliability and the fact it will be used near an outlet. I don't need a big drill but prefer something of quality. I am thinking about the Milwaukee but have another question about 1/4 drills: Why would one want a 4000 rpm over a 2800 rpm? price is about the same so I wonder which one would suit me better. I suspect the higher rpm would be for sanding or something; can anyone enlighten me?

I would go for the higher speed. With small drills I think you will get cleaner, rounder holes. When you need less speed just pull the trigger less. All other things being equal (they never are, of course) the slower drill will have more torque. Probably, the most important feature is how it feels in your hand and how easy it is to change bits.

Chuck Tringo
12-26-2009, 11:40 AM
The Ridgid 3/8 is down to 36 at Amazon, was 40 yesterday, if it drops any more I will have to give it a try. I think its 50-55 at Home Depot normally.

http://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-R7000-27228-8-Inch-Drill/dp/B00200LT30/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1261845388&sr=1-3