PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Disk for TS

Carroll Courtney
12-23-2009, 1:49 PM
Guys I am in need of a sanding disc that will fit a 10" table saw that the disc has alittle backbone to it.My table saw is an older Powermatic w/3hp motor so that should handle the disc and alittle load.Is there a certain brand that I should check into and which one's should I stay away from?I don't want to purchase one that you use it afew times then throw it away,so I would like to have one that will last and stay flat.Thanks for suggestions and advice-----Carroll

Daryl Henderson
12-23-2009, 2:08 PM
I use this one and it works great. I bought for a setup disk, but use it for both.

Freud CD010 10" CALIBRATION & SANDING DISK with 5/8" Arbor

Bill Huber
12-23-2009, 2:49 PM
I cut one out of 1/2 BB and it works just fine.
I use it with the dado insert.

Bill White
12-23-2009, 2:54 PM
I have one that's OLD, so no brand. And I can't remember where I got it.
Don't get too rowdy on the sideways pressure. It ain't good for the arbor bearings.;)
Bill

Scott Schwake
12-23-2009, 3:44 PM
I bought the Craftsman about a year ago, I don't use it that much but works just fine. Came with a different grit on each side, that was kind of nice.

Bruce Wrenn
12-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Take a 10" steel plywood cutting blade, and grind the teeth off of it. Then mount sanding disk to such. Be sure to NOT get a hollow ground blade, just the flat cheapie one type that comes in the PC set of three blades at Lowes

Wayne Cannon
12-24-2009, 3:37 AM
I highly recommend a beveled sanding disk.

There are several that have one flat side and one side beveled two or three degrees. By using the beveled side and tilting the arbor the two or three degrees so the surface is vertical, it's scratches will be parallel to the grain instead of swirled. They work great. Mine is an old Craftsman from the early '70s, but here's a link to a current one with drawings showing how it's used. ShopSmith calls theirs a "conical sanding disk" (P/N 555477).
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/fullpres.asp?partnum=95-430