PDA

View Full Version : Thanks & Merry Christmas Frank Corker!

David Fairfield
12-23-2009, 1:48 PM
Here's my suprise 80th Birthday + Christmas present to my Dad, who says bah humbug he doesn't want any presents. Its our family dog engraved on a 6oz glass.

Frank Corker drew the portrait months ago, and I've been looking forward to this ever since. Thanks Frank, Dad will be thrilled! :)

Dave

Dee Gallo
12-23-2009, 2:44 PM
That's a really nice dog portrait! Well done, both of you, he won't say humbug to that, I'm sure.

Merry Christmas! :) dee

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-23-2009, 2:48 PM
David, that's pretty special! Is that something you do normally (engrave on glasses)? was it tough?

David Fairfield
12-23-2009, 4:25 PM
Hey John

I do a lot of commercial glass engraving but its not my favorite thing to do. Some glasses, like these lightly tapered, relatively heavy, perfectly cylindrical ones work reliably. Other types might slip and wobble causing distortions in the graphic.

Anyway, a good graphic works wonders on glass. Frank's drawing was ideal because it was black pen on white, so it didn't break up into half tone dots, although half tone dots can look good, too. Plus Frank's work wasn't cluttered with a background that would need to be cropped out.

Dave

Frank Corker
12-23-2009, 4:30 PM
Nice engraving job Dave

Scott Shepherd
12-23-2009, 8:32 PM
I don't know if Frank wants to do this or not, so I'll speak out of turn, but if anyone has something really special they want done, you should contract Frank to do some art work for you. I've seen a number of art pieces he's done from a photograph, ready to engrave by anyone, and they are stunning. In fact, I have one or two of them sitting on my display rack.

If I had something really special for a family member, I'd be getting in touch with Frank and getting him to work his magic. He's got a process down that's just stunning when engraved and it has nothing to do with the gold method, it's an artistic touch he's able to put on real photos that turn them into art.

Hope you don't mind me saying that Frank, and I hope someone takes me up on that and gets you to do some work for them. It's insane stuff!

David Fairfield
12-23-2009, 9:16 PM
I'll second what Scott said, Frank's pen-and-ink art is tops and ideal for lasering. All the character of our dog came through in Frank's work, even after it was miniaturized and engraved on glass.

The glass was a hit! My Dad was very pleased said it was the best present he's gotten in many years, he's especially impressed that the image is clearly our dog, not a generic dog. Thanks again to Frank from everyone here. :)

Dave

Scott Shepherd
12-24-2009, 8:05 AM
Great David, glad your Dad liked it! Yes, that's the deal, that pen and ink work he does is incredible.

In reading my post again, I see there might be room for confusion in what I said about contracting Frank. When I say "Contracting" Frank, I mean pay him for what he does :)

For all he's done for so many here, it's the least we can do to use his services and pay him for it.

Bill Cunningham
12-26-2009, 7:53 PM
And I'm sure he will accept money 'by the pound':rolleyes:
I have an artistic 'mind', but unfortunately, unlike Frank's, it's not connected to any other part of my body:(