PDA

View Full Version : Military Logo, can't find

Jim Creech
12-23-2009, 11:47 AM
check out http://images.military.com/UserImages/11489
If that don't do it maybe these folks can help you out!

Scott Shepherd
12-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Jim, that one is about 1/4 the size of the one I posted unless I did something wrong.

Scott Shepherd
12-23-2009, 11:59 AM
I'm looking for the "Fury from the Sky" layout for the 508th Infantry regiment.

The only images I can find are so small and poor quality, I can't seem to recreate it. Any good jpeg would be fine. I don't mind drawing it, I just need something with enough detail to work.

Attached is all I have found so far.

Frank Corker
12-23-2009, 4:26 PM
Steve I think you will find this is going to be one of those logos that not even the members have - try breezing through some of the pdf files here: http://www.red-devils.org/_newsletter/_pdf/index.shtml you might find one on there that you can import.

The passant lion on the image is actually the French Leopard. The shield and the ribboning shouldn't be too hard for you to achieve. I have included the attached which is the french leopard on the blue and white shield to kick you off in the right direction.

Scott Shepherd
12-23-2009, 8:25 PM
Thanks Frank, I've spent some time looking through those newsletters and I can't find it, so it looks like I'll take your file and work on it from there. Thanks for taking the time to look into it. I appreciate it.

It's going to Afghanistan, so hopefully I can make it look good.

Thanks!

Ray Mighells
12-24-2009, 2:49 AM
I'm thinking there should be an "Airborne" designation in there somewhere. During WWII it was 508 Parachute Infantry Regiment, then it became 508 Airborne Infantry Regiment, 508 Airborne Brigade, 508 Airborne Battle Group, 508 Airborne Infantry Battalion, 1st Bn 508 Airborne Inf etc, lots of reorganizations and redesignations, but all with Airborne in the title. I think during Vietnam they were the 508 Airborne Regimental Combat Team. There are some interesting crests and unit patches associated with 508 Airborne on ebay. Might be wise to check out the giftee to see how GungHo he/she is.

Scott Shepherd
12-24-2009, 8:01 AM
Thanks Ray, I saw an email from the soldier last night. It's not my customer, but rather a piece I'm working on for a craftsman that's supplying them with a finished product. I also found in looking through the sites, there are many very poor versions of that lion. I have seen some where the lion is fairly clear, as in the one I posted, and then, on their own website, I can find versions used as a background and the lion looks more like a blob with no features or detail. The history shows it's origins, yet, it looks like as it gets recreated, it's getting recreated by some talentless hacks that are destroying the detail.

I think it's time to fix it right :)

Before I burn it, I'll touch base with the soldier and see if that's the correct version.

Dave Russell Smith
12-24-2009, 9:43 AM
This is the official place to go Scott for approval on any military Crest,
http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/

Scott Shepherd
12-24-2009, 9:57 AM
Thanks Dave, that's the place that has the cruddy jpeg version :)

I'm emailed the Soldier and asked him to clarify which is currently used by his unit.

This one is from their own website. Looks horrible to me. They have 3 versions on their website and this one is the clearest, but looks about a million miles away from what I think it's supposed to be.