PDA

View Full Version : What to do with crooked dog holes

Anthony Whitesell
12-23-2009, 8:53 AM
As you may have read, I found drilling the dog holes to be easier said than done. With the template I made, the series of holes along the front edge ended up on a 0.1" per hole slope towards the center of the bench top. I have figured out a way to make a template using the front edge of the workbench that would have corrected for that issue, but it's too late now...or is it. I figure I have a couple of options. I could leave them and use them as is. I could plug them and re-drill, but I haven't found spruce dowels locally so I would have to use yellow poplar. Or cut of the front 10" and glue on new pieces and re-drill them. What would you do?

Paul Atkins
12-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Do they work? That might be the first question I'd have. If you drilled and plugged them, what would keep this from happening again, either with the overbored holes or the re bored holes? You could have plugs made on the lathe. That's all I got.

Bill White
12-23-2009, 12:32 PM
BUY A CROOKED DOG!!!:D
Merry Christmas to all.
Bill

Lee Schierer
12-23-2009, 2:33 PM
You can make your own dowels with a router table and round over bit of the needed radius. It only takes four passes to get any length dowel you need. You could also make a cross grain dowel if you wanted to.

glenn bradley
12-23-2009, 3:39 PM
Depends, will you only run one row? If so, I see no issue. If you run double rows this will rack you vise to a degree but so does rough lumber if you use that. I run three rows so I would plug and re-drill. As I have used my bench more and more the plug matching becomes less important to me. I do understand the 'new' bench syndrome and your desire to match; BTDT. I am afraid you will have to make that decision on your own but, I have gotten past having my bench be a floor model. YMMV ;-)

Jeff Nolan
12-23-2009, 9:09 PM
Crooked dogs get bought all the time... that's why they run for public office.

BUY A CROOKED DOG!!!:D
Merry Christmas to all.
Bill