PDA

View Full Version : Finishing NE Bowls

Jon Finch
12-23-2009, 1:33 AM
Quick question... do you apply whatever your finish of choice is to the bark on a natural edge bowl? Or leave it "natural"?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-23-2009, 1:52 AM
Jon,

I treat the bark just like the rest of the bowl except I try to stay away from it when buffing.

ROY DICK
12-23-2009, 9:21 AM
I just use thin CA glue on the bark and then the finish of choice on the rest.

Roy

Bill Mitchel
12-23-2009, 10:41 AM
I seal the bark with with sanding sealer - Zinsser Bullseye SealCoat. I keep the finish off the bark because I dont want to build up coats.

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2009, 11:36 AM
I finish the bark the same as I do the bowl. I apply most times Antique Oil, let it soak and then wipe of the excess. I have did numerous NE bowls and not a problem.

Bill Bolen
12-23-2009, 11:41 AM
I finish the bark as well.I feel like it help keep the bark attached in use, but I can't prove it...Bill..

Mike Minto
12-23-2009, 11:55 AM
i'm with bill on this - i used thinned lacquer applied with a rag as finish on my two latest NE forms (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=127185), making sure to put a good amount on the bark to (hopefully) keep it intact (no hijack intended, joe).

Kyle Iwamoto
12-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Anyone try Minwax wood stabilizer? I tried it, and it seems to work. I don't know if it stabilizes the bark as well as CA. It does add a "finish", so I avoided putting oil on the bark.

Jon Finch
12-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Do you guys add finish to the bark for the appearance or do you feel that it also helps to keep it attached longterm?

Mark Levitski
12-23-2009, 8:42 PM
Ditto to the Zinsser sanding sealer. I feel it helps stabilize the bark. However, in some cases I do use a bit of thin CA where I can see that the bark might be poorly attached. I use it before the sealer being careful not to let it get below the bark edge into the wood where it will stain. I'm never confident that the CA will adhere as well after I flood sanding sealer in there, though applying it first would prevent the staining. Most times I do the whole piece w/ the sealer. It helps prevent the wood from darkening when applying oils. Also, I apply oil to the bark after the Zinsser. I've been using Mahoney's walnut oil with really good results.

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2009, 8:53 PM
Do you guys add finish to the bark for the appearance or do you feel that it also helps to keep it attached longterm?

I do it for both. I feel it makes the appearance look great and I do think it strengthens the bark.

Jon Finch
12-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Thanks guys!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Well Jon,

As you can see, you just proved you can ask 11 turners the same question and get 15 different answers.

Find a method that works for you and use it. Then don't be afraid to try something new periodically. You can teach old dogs new tricks.

Kyle Iwamoto
12-24-2009, 10:53 AM
[QUOTE=Ken Fitzgerald;1291611]Well Jon,

As you can see, you just proved you can ask 11 turners the same question and get 15 different answers.

QUOTE]

LOL:)

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Well Jon,

Find a method that works for you and use it. Then don't be afraid to try something new periodically. You can teach old dogs new tricks.

Hey Fitz who you calling a old dog?????:eek::D;):rolleyes::cool:

Mike Minto
12-24-2009, 1:34 PM
Hey Fitz who you calling a old dog?????:eek::D;):rolleyes::cool:

Woof!!!!!!

Jim Silva
12-24-2009, 1:36 PM
Anyone try Minwax wood stabilizer? I tried it, and it seems to work. I don't know if it stabilizes the bark as well as CA. It does add a "finish", so I avoided putting oil on the bark.

I've used Minwax wood stabilizer on NE bowl bark before but I've had better blending between bark and wood if I just use a sanding sealer that I thin out even more for several coats. I can do this at the same time I apply sanding sealer to the bowl itself just by dipping an acid brush in some mineral spirits and brushing it on the bark, then apply SS.

The wood stabilizer is something I swear by on punky wood but it's almost too much as a finish on the bark, kinda like a candy coating that I'm not fond of.