PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Tools Customer Service -- semi-long

Scot Ferraro
12-23-2009, 1:04 AM
Hi everyone,

I wanted to post about some great customer service I received from Laguna Tools. I have owned an LT18 Bandsaw since 2001. It is a great machine. I was tensioning a blade yesterday and I heard a loud "bang", similar in sound to what you hear when a blade breaks. I opened the cabinet and the blade was fine. I found that I could not put any tension on the upper flywheel. This was around 4:55 PM. I know Laguna is open until 5:00 PM Pacific so I give their service department a call. I spoke to Erik there and he stayed late on the phone to help me trouble-shoot the issue. After about 20 minutes of checking the usual things (tension cable, trying a new blade, etc...) we find out the the upper assembly that tracks the upper blade and holds the spring had broken -- this is a cast-iron assembly. Erik asks me to send some pictures so that he can look into parts the next day (today).

I am thinking that this is 1. going to be very expensive to replace and 2. is going to take months to get the part in from Italy -- afterall, how many of these things actually break? I have never heard of it happening before.

Erik was on the case first thing this morning and by 11:45 AM he and Shawn Buinicky (Laguna's Manufacturing Engineer) had confirmed the problem and located a replacement part. Since I live locally, I was able to go to Laguna and pick everything up. Torben personally got involved as well to ensure that I had everything to fix my machine. I ended up getting an entirely new upper assembly with new springs, ACME threaded rod, etc... to ensure that nothing else was damaged. I brought in the old part and they were amazed at what had happened and it was the first that they had heard of it.

The best part is that they gave me all of the parts for free -- I was amazed. My saw is going on 9 years old and is well outside of any warranty and Laguna was perfectly happy to give me all of the parts I needed to get back up and running -- to me, that is customer service and it is refreshing to see a company stand behind their product, even after so many years. I got everything installed tonight and tested it and so far, it seems to be working fine. A true test comes this weekend when I finish some resawing for my current project.

I am very pleased with the outcome and think that Laguna Tools really came through for me.

I am attaching a couple of pictures of the damaged part if you are interested in seeing the damage -- one is what it looked like at the bottom of the saw and the other one is the part once removed from my machine.

Thanks!

Scot

Joe Jensen
12-23-2009, 1:34 AM
I know that Laguna had a so so reputation a few years ago but I've found them very helpful, especially Erik and Benny in California. Both work hard to deliver on service.

Mike Heidrick
12-23-2009, 2:21 AM
I have been working on several deals this year with Tim Lory and needed tech support once to get some additional parts. The guys at Laguna were right on for me. That kind of personal experience is why I keep going back. When I talk to Tim, he knows me and the machines I have. I know dealers need to be personable to sell machinery right now and he keeps coming through for me and many of the forums I like to visit

Rick Potter
12-23-2009, 2:28 AM
OK, I'm convinced. Will call soon about a slot mortiser.

Rick Potter

Rick Fisher
12-23-2009, 5:38 AM
Scot, that is the Laguna I know.. I like to deal with Benny and have found him to be a really good guy..

I think its really great of you to post a positive experience with a supplier..

I called Benny last week, to order a Drifmaster fence and blade.. As usual, he was great to deal with.. I emailed the actual order, after speaking to him, he responded promptly and I was very happy.. My order is probably sitting in Canada Customs right now :)

Having said that, I bought a used SCM Sander last week.. I emailed SCM in Vancouver last Friday and have still never heard back.. lol..

Give credit where credit is due.. Good for you and good for Laguna..

Rick, I will PM Benny's email address to you.. He actually answers his emails.. Good man to deal with at Laguna.. he will look after you...

Cliff Holmes
12-23-2009, 6:46 AM
I've heard so many horror stories about Laguna lately. I know that happy people tend not to post, but it's troubling to hear nothing but complaints. I'm glad to hear something good for a change. Their stuff *looks* nice, but customer service is tremendously important to me.

Leigh Betsch
12-23-2009, 9:07 AM
I don't know about the customer service but Tim is sure good at selling stuff. 3 Kerf Kings, 1 Re-Saw King, one 1/4 6tpi, set of guides and a Driftmaste fence, since Tim started to post crazy blade deals here!:D I haven't got the fence yet but the guides are a big improvment over my old Euro guides. And this is even on a MM20 not a Laguna.

Scot Ferraro
12-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Leigh,

You are not kidding with the great deals...I bought a Kerf King, Resaw King and a new set of guides. This is on top of the motor replacement I did earlier this year and 5 other non-carbide blades. A DriftMaster is next on my list....

Scot

glenn bradley
12-23-2009, 11:15 AM
It is so great to see some of the makers who had less than stellar CS records getting the message that service is important to we who buy their products. Great story.

Leigh Betsch
12-23-2009, 2:03 PM
I know that it's blasphemy but I am so pleased with the Laguna guides that if my MM20 ever died I would look seriously at a Laguna.

John Shuk
12-23-2009, 4:21 PM
I only wish they had given service similar to that when my saw was still in warranty.

Danny Burns
12-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the post. Nice to know that some things change ...and for the better!

One reason I have not had Laguna at the top of my list is because of the past customer service complaints. Hopefully we will be seeing more such reports!

keith Jones elp
03-23-2010, 9:01 AM
Scott,

I have an LT18 and the exact same thing happened to my saw the first time I put a resaw king blade on. The photo you attached looked just like the one I sent to Laguna.

I did not have such a nice experience with customer service. It took me three customer service people and two months before I got a replacement part that worked. One got sick, the second quite, and the third was some kind of supervisor who never remembered me even though I was talking to him on the phone every day to get the problem solved. I never did get the procedure for the correct installation of the "support sliding part". I requested it three times in writing and verbally over the phone. I found that the customer service people I talked to did not know the saw very well and when I used the names of the parts as printed on Laguna's parts list it confused them.

The "support sliding part" they send me was machined differently that the old one, I measured both and got different measurements, so the "sliding support upper wheel" did not fit in the new part. I returned the broken "support sliding part", the new "support sliding part" and the "sliding support upper wheel", that came with the saw, to laguna and they re-machined the "sliding support upper wheel" to fit the new "support sliding part".

I now have my saw up and running and I know what caused the problem. The "tension blade indicating box" was not adjusted correctly so that the "tension blade spring" became bound before the "tension blade indicating box" indicated the a reading that was close to what the resaw king blade needed. When the "tension blade spring became bound the "tension blade indicating box" quite moving way short of the point indicated for that size of blade. I have since adjusted the "tension blade indicating box" so that it reads "30" just before the spring becomes bound.

I am now in the process of building myself a extensometer to measure how much tension is on the blade. Like they say in all the woodworking articles "... you can not trust the indicator on the bandsaw".

Keith

Ray Leaman
05-11-2015, 11:19 AM
Did you complete the extensometer build and can you share pics and maybe the plan?

Thanks

Keith Hankins
05-11-2015, 8:34 PM
Leigh,

You are not kidding with the great deals...I bought a Kerf King, Resaw King and a new set of guides. This is on top of the motor replacement I did earlier this year and 5 other non-carbide blades. A DriftMaster is next on my list....

Scot

I requested info info on a CMC machine twice and never received a single response I still love their bs blades and will still shop there but it was disappointing

Jebediah Eckert
05-11-2015, 8:49 PM
I just purchased a used 2002 LT16HD and had some questions I couldn't answer. Brian from customer service couldn't have been more helpful and knew EVERYTHING off the top of his head. Ordered some small parts for upgrades and it was smooth and easy. This was my only experience but it was definitely positive.