PDA

View Full Version : Turning green pecan

don crabtree
12-23-2009, 12:23 AM
Turned some green pecan wood yesterday and the frame on my 3520 bed today has a brownish film that i have yet been able to remove.I assume it is from the sap. Any suggestions. I tried rust remover and mineral spirits with limited success.

Richard Madison
12-23-2009, 12:28 AM
If it's a surface film some 0000 steel wool might help. If it's a stain that is into the metal, will be interested to see what others say.

art san jr
12-23-2009, 6:32 AM
I guess I would try 'Rubbing Compound' from the auto repair stores, PEP Boys, Auto Zone. etc. That should do it. Then regular auto wax to protect in the future. But if that's no help try... Paint Thinner or Mineral Spirit in an obscure area before general use on exposed areas. Multiple tries may be necessary.

This is I think a "hurry up" thing to do, here in the south, tree sap eats through the paint work on autos pretty quickly.

HTH. Art.

Nathan Hawkes
12-23-2009, 8:31 AM
I find that WD-40 works just fine. I keep a squeeze bottle full of it (one bought specifically for oil--water bottles won't spray right). next to the lathe. BTW, I've found green pecan to rust the bed less than a lot of other woods--oak is the worst.

Ron Erickson
12-23-2009, 9:18 AM
Wet sand the bed with WD-40 and 600 grit sandpaper it will work. Ron

Chris Haas
12-23-2009, 11:02 AM
i dont know, maybe i'm hard on tools, or maybe just a slob. I turn 99% of my things from green landfill wood, and if i tried to keep my ways from getting stained, i would never turn. now i'm not saying i let my stuff rust, but like we say on the job, never trust someone with all brand new tools.

spend more time turning than cleaning. just my 2 cents.

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2009, 11:33 AM
WD40 and a scotch brite pad will take it right off. Takes a couple of minutes max. Clean it off at the end of the day. I use it all the time because walnut does the same thing to my lathe.