PDA

View Full Version : advise on portible table saws.

Tim Wagner
12-22-2009, 11:39 PM
was thinking of getting this saw. Only thing is I don't know if th top is aluminum or cast iron. what do you guys think? any other suggestions.
needs to be in his price range roughly.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921829000P?vName=Tools&cName=Bench+%26+Stationary+Power+Tools&sName=Table+Saws

Tim.

Dean Karavite
12-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Hey Tim. Finewoodworking just tested a whole bunch of these portable saws and the Bosch won hands down. The Rigid was the best value. They had problems with the throat plate and straightness of the miter slot on the Craftsman. The top is not cast iron on any of them. I have seen the Rigid at Home Depot - it looks interesting and worth checking out.

If you have a membership, here is the link to the article ($14 a year - a deal when you can download 1000's of great tool and shop articles, videos...)
http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuidePDF.aspx?id=33074

I used to own the older Bosch saw and it was very nice. However, I sold it and got a used Delta contractor saw with a mobile base, cast iron table, nice fence out to 31". I paid $250 for it on Craigslist, then beefed it up with about $100 in extras (better pulleys, better belt, zero clearance inserts, built an outfeed table...). Just today dumped another $250 in it with a new motor, but it is simply no comparison to that little Bosch and still cost less than the Bosch does new. I can do so much more and am much happier. As a former portable table saw guy, I would strongly suggest you think about putting the money toward a bigger saw, but of course you may have different needs.

Good luck.

Victor Robinson
12-23-2009, 12:13 AM
was thinking of getting this saw. Only thing is I don't know if th top is aluminum or cast iron. what do you guys think? any other suggestions.
needs to be in his price range roughly.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921829000P?vName=Tools&cName=Bench+%26+Stationary+Power+Tools&sName=Table+Saws

Tim.

In this price range I think you've got to give the Bosch 4100 a very strong look.

dave gruver
12-23-2009, 1:13 AM
I own the Bosch and am happy with it. I dont have any room for a stationery saw, and must use it outside. I realize it is not the same as a "real saw" but it gets the work done for me.

Couple things I have found with this saw:
- the fence does not always lock square, probably the weakest issue of the saw. You need to be careful with it.
- The arbor will only support about 1/2" worth of stacked dado. Any wider and you start riding the outside blade and chippers on the threaded portion. The fit is not tight, and dado bottoms will not be flat. Others may tell you that the saw is not even powerfull enough to run a dado head, but I have cut a lot of slots, and never had an issue
- a crosscut sled really improves accuracy
- upgrade the miter gauge to an Incra or similar
- I bought a used gravity rise cart- great upgrade in terms of my use, and having to roll out/in with each day's work

Overall the saw has helpd me make a number of things for my home, including cabinets, boxes and some outdoor furniture.

Mike Reinholtz
12-23-2009, 1:35 AM
My first table saw was the Bosch 4100, didn't have the fancy gravity rise stand but it worked great for me. As mentioned the fence was the weakest part, I always used a 2' square when I locked it down to make sure it was straight:confused:. My neighbor has a Sears model very similar to the one you reference and while he does like it for small stuff he comes over and used my saw for anything bigger. The biggest dangers are that they are really light and can move when sliding heavier materials on them. If you go with the bench top model, I would strongly suggest you check out Craigslist, they are on there all the time and can be half the price of new. Also if you go with a bench top, try to get a 6" dado blade rather than an 8". The smaller universal motors are very taxed with an 8" (I know my bosch struggled and had to take a couple passes to get to 3/8").

I'm not sure what the material is for the top, I think it's aluminum but can check out his saw tomorrow to verify.

Randal Stevenson
12-23-2009, 2:28 AM
How portable? The top on the one you list (model 21829) is aluminum. It is a sister saw to the BT3100 that is no longer carried at HD. There is a website around it, as me and several other members here, belong to both. I would say it is a good saw (some even say/think great), but it is portable (JMHO) as in move to the garage, roll out to the yard, etc. It is NOT a back of the pickup, carry around to all the sites type, that the Bosch would be.

Michael Schwartz
12-23-2009, 5:04 AM
Another vote for the Bosch if it fits your budget, it is hands down going to be not only more accurate, but better made than the craftsman. A good crosscut sled costs only a few bucks to make and is better so I wouldn't get too attached to the sliding table setup on the craftsman.

Drew Loehr
12-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Buy the Bosch 4100.
I own one and use it everyday.
As for the fence? Mine works great!!!! I have used several other carpenters 4100's ( just about every finish carpenter uses this saw now), some have great fences (like mine) some don't. I just chaulk it up to them not setting it up right, but if people on here have had problems then I have to wonder about the fence. I set mine up when I first bought the saw and have only had to readjust mine one time in 3-4, maybe 5 years now.

Miter gauge stinks, but I have not seen a good one with a portable yet. But then again the miter slots are nothing to write home about anyway.

glenn bradley
12-23-2009, 11:12 AM
+1 look at the Bosch. Almost every maker has one (or more) thing they do extremely well in their arena. The 41XX would be one for Bosch. You may decide otherwise but I would sure give it a look.

P.s. Not much CI in portable tools now-a-days. That's not a bad thing. They are supposed to be portable, there are sacrifices that serve the greater good.

Tim Wagner
12-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Our concern with the Bosch was the small top, but it looks like there are rear and side tables for it and not the craftsman. keep the ideas coming.
We may ocasionaly use it to rip Plywood. but mostly will be used to rip 1X for door trim and base boards.

Tim.

Erik Frederiksen
12-23-2009, 11:02 PM
I just bought the Bosch 4100 with gravity rise stand about 3 months ago, have used it quite a bit since then.

I like the saw very much. No problems with fence. No problems so far with cutting dados.

I bought it because all the reviews and forums I read indicated it was the saw to get in its class and I was not steered badly.