PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Epilog Again....

Bill Cunningham
12-22-2009, 11:15 PM
Tuesday morning, I just finished one job, and was setting up for the next, I hit the focus button and .......nuthing......... No home, no X movement at all... Bunch of work stacked up with everyone needing it 'yesterday'.. I called Tech Support, left a message, and Dan Called me back.. We went over the machine, and the only pungent odours were rising from the X-Motor.. It was deader than the Monty Python Parrot.. By 1 pm today (Wednesday=24hours) and I'm in Canada 3000 miles away. The new X-motor was in the machine and I was off and running again.. (I wonder how long this would have taken to come from China :D).. Being curious, I wanted to know why the motor died such a sudden death. I took it apart, and low and behold one brush had disintigrated and the other looked fine.. According to the records at Epilog, it had been replaced almost 3 years ago when I refit the new x-motor bracket system, so unfortunately it was no longer on any warranty.. Nothing lives forever I guess, and that motor is probably the hardest working part of any laser..

James Jaragosky
12-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Tuesday morning, I just finished one job, and was setting up for the next, I hit the focus button and .......nuthing......... No home, no X movement at all... Bunch of work stacked up with everyone needing it 'yesterday'.. I called Tech Support, left a message, and Dan Called me back.. We went over the machine, and the only pungent odours were rising from the X-Motor.. It was deader than the Monty Python Parrot.. By 1 pm today (Wednesday=24hours) and I'm in Canada 3000 miles away. The new X-motor was in the machine and I was off and running again.. (I wonder how long this would have taken to come from China :D).. Being curious, I wanted to know why the motor died such a sudden death. I took it apart, and low and behold one brush had disintigrated and the other looked fine.. According to the records at Epilog, it had been replaced almost 3 years ago when I refit the new x-motor bracket system, so unfortunately it was no longer on any warranty.. Nothing lives forever I guess, and that motor is probably the hardest working part of any laser..
Why order from china? I can get parts from Ohio now.

Mark Ross
12-23-2009, 9:10 AM

Bill,

I'm glad we have an Epilog 36EXT at work. What happened to you and the support you got is one of those things that some people forget about. Glad to hear it worked out.

Russ Shoe
12-23-2009, 9:55 AM
Good for you Bill, however, we have been waiting in limbo for Epilog to help us with problem for several days now. The last email to Epilog sent on Friday, has been unanswered.....hmmmmmm. (Not mad or upset, just wondering and confused) Crossing our fingers that we have not been lost, forgotten, or ignored. Thank god we got all our christmas jobs done!

Was never going to mention this, its the holiday season, and perhaps they are busy busy.....but with this post, felt compelled to say something, its very frustrating......waiting and waiting.

Scott Shepherd
12-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Call them. Forget the emails. There is no guarantee anyone gets an email once it's since. Would be nice if it were, but it's not. Call them and talk to a person with a name, and then you'll have some accountability.

Peck Sidara
12-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Good for you Bill, however, we have been waiting in limbo for Epilog to help us with problem for several days now. The last email to Epilog sent on Friday, has been unanswered.....hmmmmmm. (Not mad or upset, just wondering and confused) Crossing our fingers that we have not been lost, forgotten, or ignored. Thank god we got all our christmas jobs done!

Was never going to mention this, its the holiday season, and perhaps they are busy busy.....but with this post, felt compelled to say something, its very frustrating......waiting and waiting.

Russ,

I'm certain our tech support group appreciates your patience but waiting this long to get an answer is unacceptable.

I recommend following up with a phone call the following morning or afternoon after an email is sent in. It's possible your email got caught up in a junk folder.

Depending on the nature of the service ticket, it may require additional time to test, diagnose or check with engineering but if anything, tech support should be keeping you in the loop.

Call tech support at 303.215.9171. Ask for Dan, support supervisor to look up your email.

Please follow up with your posting to keep everyone in the loop.

Russ Shoe
12-23-2009, 10:31 AM
didnt mean to stir up anything here, In fact the tech guy requested a photo of the job we were doing, to see what the laser was doing. Sent the photo last week, your right, email sucks lol...dont even know he got the email sent on wed, and then a follow up email on friday.

Being paient here because it seems to be a strange problem, we started thread about it, not many posted, that kinda tells me this is unusual, (and really easy and cheap to fix!!! lol...yeah right)

No harm no foul yet. Just relaxing before the holiday. However, we do have a large job in the mix, marking precision measuring devices, so we will need this fixed soon.

Will keep you posted

(thanks Peck, you have no idea what your presence here does for you and your company, outstanding what you do here, ty)

douglas rubio
12-23-2009, 12:44 PM
is the motor made in china?

Bill Cunningham
12-26-2009, 7:33 PM
Nope, I don't think so.. Pittmans in the U.S.? (http://www.ametektip.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=168&Itemid=99)

But you figure how many times that motor stops and starts (in both directions) during a single job, and multiply that by 3 years of life (or hopefully more).. That's one hardworking little motor compared to it's brother the 'Y' motor..