PDA

View Full Version : barrel trimmer problems

Gary Simmons
12-22-2009, 10:58 PM
I have been having a difficult time with my barrel trimmer. As I use it, it often cuts into the grain creating splitting, or ruins the pen blank in one form or another. I was thinking it lost its cutting edge, however I wonder how one would sharpen a barrel trimmer.
Does anyone actually sharpen the edges of a trimmer, or just buy new ones.
Additionally is there a better way than using a barrel trimmer on a drill.

thanks.

Kenneth Whiting
12-22-2009, 11:03 PM
I don't know if the trimmer can be sharpened. I do know you can put the blank up to a disk or belt sander and "trim" it down. Just take small amounts until you are there. Since I have the sander out anyway and usually a different bit in the drill, this makes it a little faster process.

Steve Mawson
12-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Never used a barrel trimmer in a drill. Use mine in a ShopSmith. Would think a drill press would work well also. I believe there is a person that just sells the trimmer at the IAP site. Been some time since I looked however.

Rick Vincent
12-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Yes I sharpen mine all the time. Take out the middle bit part..put the cutter on a flat surface
and take a file to the cutter try to stay at the same angle....If you have a small diamond sharpening file it would be better but I have used a standered file alot.

Alan Trout
12-22-2009, 11:45 PM
I sharpen mine with my DMT diamond hones. Works like a champ.

Alan

Sid Matheny
12-22-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm another one that uses diamond hones to sharpen mine.

Sid

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2009, 11:58 PM
I also use my disc sander to trim them down. I set my guide to a perfect 90 with a mechanics sqauare then take it down just a little at a time till I see the brass shine.

Greg Ketell
12-23-2009, 12:13 AM
You can use a block of wood as a "guide" to hold the cutter at the proper angle and then run it across a "diamond plate" or sand paper plate or...

Really, you don't want to grind the top edge at all. You want to "file" the back side of the blade.

If you think the cutter is really bad I recommend sending it to Paul Huffman in OKC and he will return something you could easily use to shave.

Unfortunately he hasn't logged on here for a few years so you have to contact him via IAP.

GK

Brian Effinger
12-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Some blanks work well with the trimmer, and some need to be sanded. Just the nature of the beast. I've found light weight woods, like spalted pecan, need to be sanded, otherwise they tear out.
As for sharpening, I use the little dimond hones too. The red one, I think, which is "fine".

Greg Ketell
12-23-2009, 12:27 AM
If you need to sand a pen blank flat and you have a pen mandrel take a piece of self sticky sand paper and use a hole punch to put one hole in it. Slide it over the mandrel and stick it to the base of the mandrel. Use a bushing to have the tube fit snugly on the mandrel and slide it up against the base holding the blank from spinning while the lathe turns slowly.

Steve Trauthwein
12-23-2009, 9:18 AM
You can sharpen the mill on either edge. You will have a chance of rolling the edge over from the top if you are not carefull. Count the number of strokes and keep them even. Some woods are more likely to crack or split when milling. If the blank is large enough that the whole mill is engaged it will usually not split. Another trick is to use thin super glue on the blank before milling and mill with light pressure.

Good luck, Steve

David Hullum
12-23-2009, 5:45 PM
ya barrel trimmers are like razors for your face keep em sharp and they don't irritate :D

John Terefenko
12-23-2009, 9:36 PM
Some good advice here for sure. Yes as mentioned a diamond hone works well and yes you want to take even strokes on all cutting edges. Yes you can use a drill to use a trimmer in and I do it all the time. On punky woods or heavy grained woods I like to use a bit of thin CA on the edges before trimming. I also use a 6 cutter head so it is less likely to dig into the wood. Daniel over at IAP sells them. As mentioned you can take the cutter head and turn it around on the bit and use some self sticking sandpaper with a hole punched in it as a sander. I do this when sanding the ends after a CA finish. Works well. Good luck.

Gary Simmons
12-24-2009, 7:13 AM
Hey everyone...thanks for the good advise.... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone. Gary Simmons

David Beeler
12-24-2009, 8:29 AM
I second the suggestion of sending the trimmer to Paul Huffman. I sent mine to him last year and was totally amazed at the difference in the way it cuts. Slices like a well honed skew. His IAP ID is Paul In OKC.

Nick Tuzzolino
12-24-2009, 1:27 PM
A few of you mentioned Daniel and Paul and their IAP. What is an IAP?..How ould I go about contacting these gents? Thanks.

John Terefenko
12-24-2009, 1:51 PM
A few of you mentioned Daniel and Paul and their IAP. What is an IAP?..How ould I go about contacting these gents? Thanks.
Nick you have a PM

Alton Folsom
12-24-2009, 6:51 PM
IAP is International Association of Penturners.