PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening platform

Chris S Anderson
12-22-2009, 10:15 PM
I sharpen my blades with sandpaper and I need a good flat surface. I went to a granite contractor and spied out some 2sq slabs of granite. I wasn't going for looks, but some were dang pretty. Anyway, I picked up a less expensive slab and checked it with winding sticks to make sure it was flat and I was in the middle of buying it when I noticed that there were small dents that looked like flakes that made the surface pot-marked. The stone was batooba or something like that.

I picked a much flatter slab, though the prices was higher, but it was dang pretty.

Would those pot marks have hindered my sharpening? They were super shallow, but I didn't want to buy a rock and have it not work.

Sam Takeuchi
12-22-2009, 10:38 PM
It wouldn't have hindered sharpening at all if they are small. Blades will simply ride over. In more extreme case, think of diamond plate with grid mesh.

Since you already bought nice fat one, you are set.

James Ogle
12-23-2009, 1:23 AM
I picked up two sink cut-outs from quartz counter tops for a steal this week. I am going to make a new sharpening station early next year. One will have my standard grits on it. The other I will use for heavy work like flattening soles and such.

Joe Rogers
12-23-2009, 11:39 AM
I dumpster dive those granite installers on the weekends. I pulled out enough scraps to put a nice walkway out my back yard. After ,of course, finding some big square chunks for neander tuneups...
I look at it as a community service as after I scrounge there is more room in the dumpster for their refuse. And it saves the landfills.:p
Joe