PDA

View Full Version : Neanderthals on DIY

Chris S Anderson
12-22-2009, 10:11 PM
I was watching a repeat of "Cool Tools" on the DIY network, and they had a 10 minute spot on a Lie Nielson showing and all the "neanderthals" that showed up. Everyon had a beard. They spot lighted the dovetail chisels.

I thought it was pretty good. Much was said about wanting to make better things when you have a better tool in your hand.

Scott Wigginton
12-23-2009, 8:06 AM
I saw that last night too, and of course I told my wife if she had any last minute Christmas shopping, that tenon saw would look great beside my dovetail saw :D

Zach England
12-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Can I see this online anywhere?

Zach England
12-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Am I the only Lie Nielsen fan who is under 30, clean-shaven and who does not wear flannel shirts?

Probably not, since I think a lot of people of my generation are dismayed by their parents' lack of traditional skills, as my parents' generation was the first to be born firmly rooted in post-WWII consumer culture.

Obviously both of these statements reflect broad generalizations reliant on inferences that are tenuous at best.

It seems many of my generation romanticize traditional skills, but we have more disposable time and income than the practitioners of those skills in generations of yore. I don't need to make a living with hand tools--god knows I couldn't if I wanted to. I sit in a cubicle all day so when I get home I am not physically exhausted from working with my hands and I relish an opportunity to release some energy.

We raise chickens in our tiny urban backyards. We plant gardens and dry fruit and pretend the organic milk we buy at Whole Foods tastes like the milk that raised our fore bearers. We dust off our grandparents' old tools, sewing machines, etc.

Sorry. Conjecturing over.

Dave Anderson NH
12-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Zach, you might not be the only one under 30, but you are certainly in the minority. If you look at the demographics produced for the potential advertisers in the various woodworking magazines you will note that subscribers are overwhelmingly male, over 45, and well above average in family income. In our own Guild of NH Woodworkers, out of over 500 members only about a dozen are female and less than 10% are under the age of 40. Like many, I suspect strongly that income level, the demands and costs of rasing a family, and a focus on both building a career and increasing income all conspire to produce serious woodworkers who are past the child rearing age.

I was unusual and fortunate that woodworking has always been a family tradition and the tools and instruction were available to me at home from an early age. Most folks don't have that luck. Besides, us old farts rule.

Zach England
12-23-2009, 11:51 AM
I grew up remodeling houses, but was never exposed to woodworking beyond basic trim/finish work. However, I had a good basic foundation in using tools.

I also am not faced with the obligations of a spouse or family. My spare time and disposable income are mine alone. I have the luxury of leading a very selfish existence. I am married to my hobbies, and woodworking is only one of many.

Zach Dillinger
12-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Am I the only Lie Nielsen fan who is under 30, clean-shaven and who does not wear flannel shirts?

Probably not, since I think a lot of people of my generation are dismayed by their parents' lack of traditional skills, as my parents' generation was the first to be born firmly rooted in post-WWII consumer culture.

Obviously both of these statements reflect broad generalizations reliant on inferences that are tenuous at best.

It seems many of my generation romanticize traditional skills, but we have more disposable time and income than the practitioners of those skills in generations of yore. I don't need to make a living with hand tools--god knows I couldn't if I wanted to. I sit in a cubicle all day so when I get home I am not physically exhausted from working with my hands and I relish an opportunity to release some energy.

We raise chickens in our tiny urban backyards. We plant gardens and dry fruit and pretend the organic milk we buy at Whole Foods tastes like the milk that raised our fore bearers. We dust off our grandparents' old tools, sewing machines, etc.

Sorry. Conjecturing over.

Zach,

I'm a fellow clean shaven, under 30 fan of Lie-Nielsen and all things hand tool. Must be a Zach thing...

Zach

Daniel Kennedy
12-23-2009, 11:57 AM
I am still under 30 for now, clean shaven as well. I use hand tools for the vast majority of all that I do. The tailed apprentices do get used from time to time to break down rough stock.

Greg Lucas
12-23-2009, 4:48 PM
Zach, I was under 30 when I started taking woodworking seriously. I've always had hobbies that included building things in one manner or other. The arrival of my two sons put an abrupt halt to any hobby that needed weekend time. Now that they are done with all the sports and activities, I'm back to making sawdust and shavings. I tend to feel the biggest hurdle for those under 30 is having someplace to set up a workshop. No way most are going to give up space in the garage for that bimmer.

Mark Maleski
12-23-2009, 5:19 PM

Most of the guys who I look up to the most for woodworking mentorship are older, bearded, and not afraid of flannel or analogous attire.

Jeff Willard
12-23-2009, 6:46 PM

Time will cure the first malady. If yer lucky :eek:. The other two are up to you. What are you waiting for? BTW, loggers boots are good, too.

James Baker SD
12-23-2009, 7:26 PM
I've seen artist's recreations of Neanderthals in National Geographic and Scientific American and they always have beards. :)

Chris S Anderson
12-23-2009, 7:38 PM
I've seen artist's recreations of Neanderthals in National Geographic and Scientific American and they always have beards. :)

Even the fine ladies. :eek:

Matt Radtke
12-23-2009, 7:53 PM

Yet another, right here. Though I do occasionally wear flannel on the weekend. . .

Scott Wigginton
12-23-2009, 8:21 PM
Got a year till I hit the 30, haven't had a beard in 10 years, most likely to catch me in a T-shirt, shorts, and Birkenstocks than a flannel! :eek: ok, ok, I do swap out the sandals for boots when I'm actually working in the shop :cool:

Of course the only L-N tool I could justify for the price so far has been the dt saw. Here's to hoping Santa's being generous this year :D

Chuck Tringo
12-24-2009, 5:02 AM
Well, I started woodworking before I turned 30, but just began to make the switch from power tool heavy to hand tool heavy woodworking and I will be 35 in 2 months, I have flannels but my job (Army) has kept me in the south (NC) or southwest asia for the last 14 years, so i dont wear them often...oh and uncle sam makes me shave (for 8 more years...)

Matt Evans
12-24-2009, 7:20 AM

Lessee. . .As Meatloaf said, two outta three ain't bad. I am a hair under 30, don't own flannel, but I have a beard.

I also do woodworking for a living, but couldn't afford Lie Nielsen tools, so being a fan doesn't always mean being a LN owner/user. . .

Another take on the reason we are attracted to hand tools is that some of us were born "older" than others. It carries over to other aspects of life as well. I smoke a pipe. I don't watch television. I read. I use a fountain pen. I write letters rather than talk on the phone. I maintain loyalty to suppliers, stores and tool brands because it is an ethics issue. I deal almost exclusively with craftsmen and small business owners rather than large corporations.

But, being in the woodworking business, I have to do things efficiently if I want to put food on the table. That means I have to take some larger jobs that require the use of power tools and modern methods of work. I don't enjoy doing things that way as much, but I also realized a long time ago that you can draw a line anywhere you want on any given issue, but the bottom line isn't going to change. . .And at least this way I still get to build things.

Jacob Mac
12-24-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm 32, and didn't start woodworking until I was a little over 30. I really like using handtools, but given my career and two kids, I have to use powertools if I am going to get anything built. I have too many other things going on to allow me to work exclusively with hand tools.

My kids will be out of the house when I am 42 (hopefully), and I imagine at that point, I will have a lot more time and money. Plus, I should have enough furniture built that I won't be in a position of need. I will probably turn to more hand tools at that point. Until then, I will mix and match depending on my project.

Scott Wigginton
12-24-2009, 1:24 PM
My kids will be out of the house when I am 42 (hopefully), and I imagine at that point, I will have a lot more time and money.

You have girls? If so you are imagining things if you don't realize you'll have less money after they leave than when they were under your roof :rolleyes:

Mine and two and four and I already know how painful college/post college is gonna be!

David Gendron
12-24-2009, 1:47 PM
For my part, I'm 38, and not realy a fan of LN... That said I'm 100% neander and hope to make some kind of living out of it. I said, not a fan of LN, but own a few of there tools, bevel edge chisels, two DT saw that I tryed to sale but no body wants to buy, and a #5 jack plane that work good but not better than other plane I have! I guess they just don't fit me lke they fit so many other woodworkers, and with legitimat reasons!
I don't wear flanel shirt but do wear plads some time. I also have a beard but not all the time. don't watch tv eather!
Seasons greathing to all the woodworkers and ther family!

Jeff Willard
12-25-2009, 8:36 AM
Woo Hoo! Christmas morning, and the new flannel shirts are under the tree! Santa was kind.

Chris S Anderson
12-25-2009, 9:47 AM
Woo Hoo! Christmas morning, and the new flannel shirts are under the tree! Santa was kind.

I, too, got a nice flannel! I had 2 from Eddie Bauer that were 10 years old, but they got ruined when I repainted my house, and went fishing a few too many times, and hot=tarred a roof. They are awesome and last forever...if you don't abust them too much :rolleyes:

Jacob Mac
12-25-2009, 10:03 AM

Nice. I, too, like flannel shirts. We just got about a foot of snow yesterday, and they come in handy when shoveling the driveway. It is always nice to be warm.

Bob Powers
12-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Zach,

I meet some of your qualifications, clean-shaven, no flannel shirts, Lie-Nielsen fan. I miss the age qualification, however, by about 52 years.

Jeff Willard
12-26-2009, 9:17 PM
Nice. I, too, like flannel shirts. We just got about a foot of snow yesterday, and they come in handy when shoveling the driveway. It is always nice to be warm.

I got to shovel the stuff last sat./sun., and keeping warm was the least of my worries. On Monday I became aware of all of the muscles that I under use.

Matt Lau
12-29-2009, 12:24 AM
I'm under 30, clean shaven, and non-flanneled.

Maybe we should form a club?

I prefer to be neander, but I hope to be getting a used Shopsmith to make some handplanes, thickness stock for a guitar, and dimension neck stock.