PDA

View Full Version : Finally made a bigger bowl

Sean Hughto
12-22-2009, 9:55 PM
I've got an itch to make some utility bowls - stuff that is likely to be used and appreciated in the kitchen for salads and fruit and such. The snowstorm gave me some shop time over the past few days, and:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2700/4207689382_b6e9d730be_b.jpg

About 4 x 11. Walnut. Finished with walnut oil and beeswax.

Oh, and I made a doughnut chuck this afternoon to finish the bottom. Worked well:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4022/4207689140_94d3c9100a.jpg

Thanks for looking and sharing!

Greg Just
12-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Very nice bowl. Isn't walnut great to turn? Like the rim treatment. I need to make one of those donut chucks very soon.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Sean,

Very pretty bowl.

I like your donut chuck. I even use mine on NEs.

John Keeton
12-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Sean, I love the walnut!!! You really stepped up a couple of notches - great work.

And, the donut chuck looks like a piece of furniture!! Given the work you have done on other projects, I would expect nonething less! That idea may well be superior to the Cole jaws. It was interesting watching Grumbine use his. May have to do that somewhere down the road!

Ron Erickson
12-22-2009, 10:38 PM
I really like this bowl, the rim works great with this size bowl. Ron

Steve Schlumpf
12-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Sean - great looking bowl! Very pleasing form and finish!

Nice work on the donut chuck as well! Always nice to have options when it comes time to finish off the bottom of a turning!

Sean Hughto
12-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Thanks, all! It's so much fun to compare notes with - and receive encouragement from fellow enthusiasts! You guys are the best. Happy Holidays!

Brian Effinger
12-23-2009, 12:17 AM
Beautiful bowl. I really like the rolled over rim, Sean.

Richard Madison
12-23-2009, 12:24 AM
Nice bowl and chuck Sean. Rarely use the Longworth anymore, as the doughnut is so handy.

gary Zimmel
12-23-2009, 12:47 AM
Great looking bowl Sean.

Harvey M. Taylor
12-23-2009, 3:33 AM
John, on the donut chuck I have a suggestion, and that is all it is:I prefer 3 thru bolts instead of four. Reason is:if you have too uneven torque on the opposing bolts, it could cause a slippage of the bowl if spun very fast. Not a problem with three. For whatever it is worth to you. good workmanship on it, by the way. Max

alex carey
12-23-2009, 4:26 AM
beautiful bowl, like the rim on this one. I like your pictures as well, fruit was a nice touch.

Rob Cunningham
12-23-2009, 9:44 AM
Good looking bowl Sean, I like the rolled rim. Nice job on the doughnut chuck too.
What did you use for padding on the doughnut hole?

Doug W Swanson
12-23-2009, 10:11 AM
What did you use for padding on the doughnut hole?

It looks like rubber heater hose used in cars. That is actually a clever idea because it is soft but still gives you good grip.

Very nice looking bowl!

Sean Hughto
12-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the tip, Harvey. I'm just a beginner and relied on the general idea of these chucks I'd picked up here and there to make mine - sort of made up as I went along. Took me longer to go to the hardware store to pick up the nuts and bolts, foam pad, spray adhesive, and hose, than to actually make the thing. I'll probably make more - in different sizes and such, so it's good to know to maybe try three next time.

I will say that right now I can't imagine ever using this at high rpms. I run it slow with the tailstock in place for most of the work. Without the tail stock, I think centering the thing would be a pain, and the rick of it shifting while you worked would be greater too. FWIW, just a newbie's thoughts.

Thanks again.

Sean Hughto
12-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks, Rob (and Doug). Yeah, it's a length of heater hose. Before making my chuck, I searched SMC and came across a post where someone mentioned using hose (so it wasn't my idea). When I was at the hardware store picking up the bolts and stuff, I looked at their array of vinyl and rubber hoses. The latex one felt best, but wasn't big enough. The vinyl seemed too hard. This rubber one seemed just right as far as size and softness. It worked well on the bowl in the pics. We'll see how it holds up.

Sean Hughto
12-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Walnut is indeed a pleasure to turn. This chuck was not green, but not bone dry either, which I think made for a good texture. I took a chance not roughing it, but I won't mind if it gets a bit oval over time. And Thanks!

John Keeton
12-23-2009, 11:25 AM
The latex one felt best, but wasn't big enough. The vinyl seemed too hard. This rubber one seemed just right...This sounds like the beginnings of a fairly tale......hmmmm...oh yeah....Goldilocks!!!:D:D

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Sean that is a great looking bowl and a pleasing form. Donut chuck looks great.

Baxter Smith
12-23-2009, 2:42 PM
Thats a utility bowl with class!

Jim Kountz
12-24-2009, 5:32 AM
Fine job on the bowl and the chuck. Now you can crank em out even better than before!!

Mike Shields
12-27-2009, 4:54 PM
Finished with walnut oil and beeswax.

Why beeswax?

How you you apply it?

Sean Hughto
12-27-2009, 5:42 PM
Well, while I've been told that pretty much all finishes, once cured, are food safe, I kind of like the idea of only putting stuff that I would put in my mouth on projects intended for use with food. Richard Raffan, in his intro DVD, uses beeswax and oil on his bowl and other stuff too. Made sense to me, to help the wood resist liquids and such.

I just hold a chunk of it up to the spinning bowl and then go back with a paper towel to remove excess and let the friction heat it up and blend it in.

David E Keller
12-27-2009, 6:20 PM
Pretty wood. Very nice bowl and form. I love the beeswax finish as it always has a warm look to me.