PDA

View Full Version : Got the chuck! The first bowl/dish/???

John Keeton
12-22-2009, 9:10 PM
UPS finally brought my Nova G3. Already had the Cole jaws. I really didn't want to destroy a decent piece of wood, and I had some cherry leg stock that was about 5x3.5. I cut off a piece, and resawed it in half to 1.75 or so. And, this is what I got (sorry for the poor focus on the pic in the Cole jaws - forgot to set the macro)

It ain't much!:o And, it sure don't count as a bowl!!:eek:

But, it is the first non-spindle round thing that I have done. Measures 4.75 x 1.

BLO and a quick rub with shellac while on the lathe. Not sure I will do much more with it as it is not exactly heirloom quality!:D

Thanks, again, to everyone for the encouragement, taunting, dares, etc. I do have to admit - it was a bunch of fun. I LOVE the Thompson bowl gouge!

And, thanks again Gary Z. for the medallions! Thought it worked out well in the bottom.

I still have the heat on in the shop, and hope to play with another tomorrow before my daughter and family get it for Christmas!!

David Christopher
12-22-2009, 9:14 PM
John, that looks really good...I think youve been pulling our leg..looks like youve been doing this for awhile

gary Zimmel
12-22-2009, 9:23 PM
You got to love it when a plan come together John....
Sweet looking first bowl.

I'm thinking you can get a couple more done before your daughter gets to your place for Xmas...

Richard Madison
12-22-2009, 9:26 PM
That's a very nice dish John. You are on your way to greatness.

Greg Just
12-22-2009, 9:37 PM
nice job - great looking bowl

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2009, 9:45 PM
For your first that is a beauty. I would put that one on the shelf and compare it a year from now. Well done.

Sean Hughto
12-22-2009, 9:50 PM
Great work, John! Those are sure some smooth curves for a first bowl. I'm impressed.

I like to think we long time flat woodworkers have some natural affinity and experience with wood and applying blades to them. ;-) Shows in your "beginners" effort.

Dan Forman
12-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Mighty fine bowl John! Looks like you are well on your way. With green wood it get REALLY fun.

Dan

charlie knighton
12-22-2009, 10:08 PM
very nice, you are in now

Dahl Troy Perry
12-22-2009, 10:13 PM
John that shure don't look like a first bowl to me they aren't to look that good the first time.:D:D:D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-22-2009, 10:26 PM
John,

You must have been a turner in a former life!

Very, very nice for a first bowl! Very nice!

You done us proud!

Kenneth Whiting
12-22-2009, 10:38 PM
That's a very nice bowl John. Good job for a first.

Steve Mawson
12-22-2009, 11:03 PM
I have to agree with everyone else, very nice. I especially like the way you signed the bottom. Have not seen that before.

Steve Schlumpf
12-22-2009, 11:09 PM
John - very impressive bowl! Love turning Cherry as the wood takes beautiful details, smells great and ages to perfection!

So, how did you like using a chuck for the first time?

Ted Calver
12-22-2009, 11:22 PM
John, You're a natural! As Bernie said, keep that one to look back on--and for M&M's to remind yourself how sweet the vortex is. :)

John Keeton
12-22-2009, 11:35 PM
Thanks guys, for all the nice comments. This thing is so small, when I look at it I don't feel like I have accomplished much. You all are being gracious by calling it a bowl!:o

It was a nice practice piece, and allowed me to try some of the cuts Grumbine did in the DVD - though I struggled with some of them. The cherry is sweet to turn, but I have no sense of smell. When I see you all talk about all the different woods, and how they smell, I know I am missing something. Most of the time I never think about it.

Steve S., the chuck was NEAT!! Really makes a difference in the way one approaches the wood. I am looking forward to trying some different things - but, as you all planned!:D;), I fear I will need some more new toys! I can't get in to the inside of a rounded over bowl. I guess that is technically hollowing. More research is in order!

Steve M., the "signing" on the bottom is actually a maple medallion that has been laser cut and engraved - compliments of Gary Zimmel. Gary had a bunch of them done by George Perzel, and had a few done with my name on them. They work really well in flat work. The sit snuggly in a 1.5" Forstner hole, and are recessed for the penny. On the dish I scooped out for the recess, and cleaned up the edge with a parting tool.

I want to get in some more practice runs before taking on some of the beautiful wood you all sent to me. Thanks, again, for sucking me into this mess!!:D:D:D

Brian Effinger
12-23-2009, 12:13 AM
If the grain runs perpendicular to the lathe, it wasn't turned between centers, and M&M's can't roll out of it, then it is a bowl in my book. And a good looking bowl too. You should be proud.

I knew my taunting about seeing pictures of a bowl would work! ;) :p :D :)

Jon Finch
12-23-2009, 1:19 AM
Looks perfect to me!

Joshua Dinerstein
12-23-2009, 1:45 AM
Very impressive. Nice form and figure. I like it. Keep up the great work!

Remind me to never ever post pictures of my first bowl. :)

Joshua

art san jr
12-23-2009, 6:15 AM
Nice job John. Would never believe that's your first bowl. Impressive !!!!

Art.

mike holden
12-23-2009, 8:35 AM
Nicely done!

Mike

Mauricio Ulloa
12-23-2009, 8:41 AM
Awesome job! You're a natural!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

ROY DICK
12-23-2009, 9:02 AM
John,
That is one fine looking bowl.
Maybe a segmented hollow form is next? Congrats, we all knew you would enjoy this type of turning.

Roy

Tony De Masi
12-23-2009, 9:33 AM
Thanks guys, for all the nice comments. This thing is so small, when I look at it I don't feel like I have accomplished much. You all are being gracious by calling it a bowl!:o

John, I believe you are assuming that something small cannot be either well done or a challenge. I must discourage that kind of thinking here:)

If my first bowl/dish/platter came out that nice I would have kept it instead of putting in the burn pile. Very well done John.

Tiger

Rob Cunningham
12-23-2009, 9:39 AM
Very nice bowl John. Are you sure you are new to this turning stuff?

Ken Hensley
12-23-2009, 10:01 AM
John, as others have said it doesn't look like a first. Great job. I have followed along as the gang has taunted you on and I am glad they have you are a natural. Can't wait to see future peices. Have fun.

Ken

Bill Bolen
12-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Nicly done John. I really like the signature insert. Cool idea. OK,,,,so you have been turning since 197? and were just fooling us right?...Bill...

Terry Murphy
12-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Sure looks like a bowl to me.
Great job!
Thanks for sharing

Terry

Kyle Iwamoto
12-23-2009, 12:24 PM
That can't possibly be a first.... I wish my bowls NOW look that good. :D

Nice!

John Keeton
12-23-2009, 2:30 PM
Thanks again for taking the time to look and comment!!

This bowl/dish/thing was certainly not the first product of my lathe. Since getting the ol' HF back in September, I have done some practice spools, a set of table legs, and several ornaments - but, this is the first bowl like object that I have turned.

I do agree with Sean Hughto that "flat woodworkers have some natural affinity and experience with wood and applying blades to them." And, honestly, I think the spindle work is much easier than doing the bowls. Using the skew and gouges did make the learning curve a bit easier for the bowl gouge - and, the Grumbine video REALLY helps!

Thanks again, guys! I am having a bunch of fun - and, it is all your fault!!!:D

Baxter Smith
12-23-2009, 2:35 PM
Not a bowl? Then think of it as a really nice coaster to hold one heck of a stein while you work on your other turning attributes!;)

Jim Kountz
12-24-2009, 5:34 AM
Ok John Im having a hard time believing you've never done this before!! This looks fantastic, the details and the finish are first rate!! You have a touch thats for sure, cant wait to see what you turn next.

Harvey M. Taylor
12-24-2009, 7:55 AM
Open the chute, cowboy, John is comin'out ridin'the vortex bull.Max