PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas Tale and Semi-gloat

Ben Franz
12-22-2009, 8:25 PM
So, there I was, idly paging through the CL tool ads and Behold!

A beautiful golden yellow Powermatic mortiser - looking lonely and deserted in a dark corner of some shop, just pining away for someone to give it a good home. What's that? I don't really NEED a big stationary tool to cut mortises? I don't have ROOM for it? When has any of this ever had anything to do with tool purchases?

I feel for the small cabinet shop owner that sold me this 719T for $500 with rolling base and 3 chisels. The machine is practically new - the only sign of wear was some contact cement overspray on the base and bottom cabinet, easily removed with LT in 15 minutes. The recession has killed off a lot of small trade companies in our area (and everywhere else) and this guy was selling his non-essential machines to stay above water. I was able to resist even looking at an overarm router next to the PM.

I had been looking at benchtop mortisers but when I saw this one for a good price I couldn't walk away. Maybe I should take a page from the horse rescue ranch a couple of miles up the road and designate my shop as a woodworking machinery rescue operation. Might try to slide that past SWMBO - Fat chance! :mad:

Merry Xmas to all of you Creekers and yours.

Carroll Courtney
12-22-2009, 8:44 PM
I have never had a need for one,but at that price I would create one.Dang,nice fine Ben.Cheapest one I ever come across was 800.00,about couple yrs ago and have never seen another.Congrads---Carroll

Greg Wittler
12-22-2009, 9:04 PM
Nice Score, I'm jealous.

Mark Elmer
12-23-2009, 12:14 AM
Ben,

Nice score. Hmmmm, a tool rescue ranch... The wife seems to take in anything with four feet. Many tools I see have four feet. Hmmmmmm....

George Sanders
12-23-2009, 7:19 AM
Don't have room for it? Do like I did and put it on the patio.

Mitchell Andrus
12-23-2009, 11:44 AM
I've had one of those for 7-8 years. It's a great machine, lots of bed travel. Don't over-do the strong arming on the lever though. I sheared the key - keys are soft for a reason I guess. It's not a terror to replace though. I was attempting to get a 1" bit into white oak. Didn't work. Not the machine's fault as it didn't stall. White oak and 1" bits don't play well together as there's just too much hard wood in the way.

Brent Ring
12-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Many congrats to you. BTW - You Suck! ;)