PDA

View Full Version : Gift Project This Year

Jeff Bratt
12-22-2009, 7:43 PM
Always trying to come up with something different, I made lazy susan turntables this year. There were a couple different designs, because I couldn't decide what kind I liked best. The maple and walnut sort-of-southwestern design was fun, the plain maple one subdued yet elegant, and canary wood is amazing.

There are pictures of the fixtures I used to make round things (without using a lathe) at my website (http://home.roadrunner.com/%7Ejeffnann/WoodWorking/JigsAndFixtures/JigsAndFixtures.html#LazySusans). I made and tested the fixtures some time ago to convince myself I could make several more of these. And I already have requests to make some more of these in January...

Happy Holidays everyone!

Andrew Schlosser
12-22-2009, 8:13 PM
those are really cool, especially the star in the middle. most of my stuff is small, so I really appreaciate the thought you put into each of these operations. can't wait to look over your website jig section, particularly the small part jigs. A good jig is safer, easier, and gives you better results!

Matt Armstrong
12-22-2009, 10:55 PM
I really dig those. I like the "plain" looking one the best, but they are all fantastic. You may get better luck posting this over in the projects forum.

Mike Cruz
12-23-2009, 2:15 PM
Very nice! I'm sure they will be well received. So, are you making one for every SMC member, too...? :D

Von Bickley
12-23-2009, 3:12 PM
Jeff,

What size are they?

ROY DICK
12-23-2009, 4:29 PM
I'll take one of each and thanks.
Very nice gifts.

Roy

Jeff Bratt
12-27-2009, 6:25 PM
What size are they?

These are 14+ inches across... of course, they could be made most any size that fits onto the available bearings - from Rockler (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2273) and many other places.

Jeff Bratt
12-27-2009, 6:38 PM
Very nice! I'm sure they will be well received. So, are you making one for every SMC member, too...? :D

I'll take one of each and thanks.
Very nice gifts.

Let's see - would that be the 11,500 active members or all 50,000+? At 1.5 BF per turntable top, I'd need a whole bunch of wood, plus at least one more router bit... maybe if I could figure out how to attach one to a Private Message???