PDA

View Full Version : “Festool-val” at the shop

Jim Becker
10-10-2004, 9:29 PM
Some of you may remember that I had Bob Marino at the shop last November on a Friday afternoon to play with a whole SUV-full of toys. Well, it was such an enjoyable experience that not long ago, I asked him if he'd like to come back to do it again with a small group of woodworkers, both serious
amateurs and small-shop pros. He said, "yes" and today was the day.

Bob brought pretty much "everything", including the not-yet-available-in-the-US OF 1400 EQ Plus router. A special thanks goes out to Christian Oltzscher, Festool CEO, for lending his personal router for the weekend. I'll be writing up a formal review of the same separately, but in a word...I want one. Ok, that was three words, but you get my meaning! Wonderful machine.

At any rate, Bill Grumbine, John Renzetti, Paul Cresti, Robert Tarr, Tom Hummel, Dave Malen and Joanne Adler spent the afternoon at the shop learning about and trying out "black and green nirvana". Some of us already own some Festool and others were new to the tools. All of us benefitted from the time spent and Bob's gracious time and instruction.

But it's not an event without pictures, so here are a bunch for your enjoyment.

Lt-rt: Robert Tarr, Bill Grumbine, Joanne Adler, Dave Malen, Paul Cresti and Bob Marino as things got started with a lesson on guide rails
Bob shows the setup of the MFT as the group looks on. John Renzetti (just behind Robert) and Tom Hummel (back to the camera) have joined the group. I'm on the right next to the aircraft carrier.
Paul gets ready to try his hand with the plung saw while the group looks on.
Bob explains how multiple tools can use the guide system. The new OF 1400 EQ Plus router is sitting on the bench next to the guide
Bob demonstrates the OF 1010 EQ router making stopped dados with precision on the MFT. (lt-rt) John, Bill, Dave, Tom and Joanne look on.

Jim Becker
10-10-2004, 9:35 PM
Pictures Continued...

Bob talks in depth about the OF 1400 EQ Plus router...although I'm not sure where his eyes went! This machine was a big hit with the group.
When you talk about Festool, you can't skip the sanders. Apparently, Bill couldn't skip the opportunity to have a little fun with Robert.
On to the jig saws. That's a 2.25" thick piece of material being cut cleanly and with a vertical blade...we checked it with a square. Nearly everyone tried this out, too.
Mr. Grumbine learns how to eliminate snipe while making passes with Festool's power planer
All in all...a great day. The new router and the great TDK drills caused a bit of drooling and those new to the line were very impressed by the "systematic" approach to dust collection, safety and high quality.

Frank Pellow
10-10-2004, 9:36 PM
Looks like an event that I would like to have attended. Oh well, maybe some day I will have enough Festool stuff to host my own event.

Jim Becker
10-10-2004, 9:43 PM
Looks like an event that I would like to have attended. Oh well, maybe some day I will have enough Festool stuff to host my own event.
Highly recommended, Frank. The best way to get to know and understand these tools is to have them in your hand...and a little "party" can be a fun way to accomplish that! Unfortunately, this is going to cost me (more!) as the TDK drill/driver and OF 1400 EQ Plus router (when it's available) will join me in the shop..."gotta have 'em..."...sheesh!:p :o

Don Abele
10-10-2004, 11:20 PM
Jim, looks like an excellent "party". Does the new router take 1/2" bits or is it like the orginal 1010 and only accepts 1/4" (8mm bits)? The 1010 is an excellent router and isn't priced much higher than most high quality routers (around $300). But the 1/4" limitation is what steered me clear of it.

Be well,

Doc

Christian Aufreiter
10-11-2004, 5:45 AM
Hi Jim,

thanks for the post (and the pics, of course). I bet you spent a great day with nice people and excellent tools around you.
Now if Bob would only get 230 V tools then we could have another Festool party in my shop :D

Don, the OF 1400 accepts 1/2" router bits as far as I know.

Regards,

Christian

Frank Pellow
10-11-2004, 7:42 AM
Jim, looks like an excellent "party". Does the new router take 1/2" bits or is it like the orginal 1010 and only accepts 1/4" (8mm bits)? The 1010 is an excellent router and isn't priced much higher than most high quality routers (around $300). But the 1/4" limitation is what steered me clear of it.

Be well,

Doc
According to what I have heard elswhere, the 1400 does accept a 1/2 inch collet.

Jim Becker
10-11-2004, 8:29 AM
Does the new router take 1/2" bits or is it like the orginal 1010 and only accepts 1/4" (8mm bits)? The 1010 is an excellent router and isn't priced much higher than most high quality routers (around $300). But the 1/4" limitation is what steered me clear of it.
The 1400 "natively" takes 1/2" shank cutters. There is a lot to like about it which will be detailed in an upcoming review. But I also have to say that the 1010 is a very nice machine and the 8mm "limit" isn't all that limiting if you are going to be using it for things like stopped dados, edge work and dovetailing. (The Leigh folks actually recommend 8mm shanks for more strength over 1/4" shank cutters) Of course, you can't just run down to the store for 8mm bits in most places...

Tyler Howell
10-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Now that is my kind of party! Much better things to talk about than politics and the weather!:cool:

Jim Becker
10-11-2004, 10:27 AM
Now that is my kind of party! Much better things to talk about than politics and the weather!
Tyler, we had folks of all political persuasions in attendance and the weather was beautiful! And everyone agreed on the objects at hand..."'want it!"

nic obie
10-11-2004, 2:14 PM
Tyler, we had folks of all political persuasions in attendance and the weather was beautiful! And everyone agreed on the objects at hand..."'want it!"

Couldn't have been all that nice....you had your heater on! ;)

Jim Becker
10-11-2004, 2:17 PM
Couldn't have been all that nice....you had your heater on!
Nic, late in the day...like 5:30p a cold front started to blow through and the temp dropped from about 72ºF to about 64ºF very quickly. But it was a great sunny fall day, otherwise!

nic obie
10-11-2004, 2:20 PM
Just teasing :)

It's beautiful here in CA.

Bill Grumbine
10-11-2004, 3:49 PM
Heaters?!? I thought that was Jim's tanning booth so he could get a tan while he turned! Seriously, it was a beautiful day to be sort of outside. This is my favortie time of the year for crisp sunny days. It did get a bit nippy as the sun went down though.

We had a great time - at least I did. I got to heckle Bob a bit, and he was a very good sport about it. The tools are great, but I already knew that. Still, it was a real treat to get my hands on some stuff that is not yet available and see how it works. I have to start saving some money again!

Thanks again Jim, for hosting this, and thanks to Bob for all his work in demonstrating the tools.

Bill

Jason Roehl
10-11-2004, 8:16 PM
Hey, great pics, Jim. I've been meaning to do a review of both the Rotex and the Deltex (we use them heavily when we refinish floors). But, I do have a correction, mostly because I was very disappointed upon the arrival of my 2 Festools. Being a painter as well, I work with color all the time. These tools are NOT black and green, but rather a very dark blue and green. Black would have been cool. Okay, I'll quite nitpicking now...:D

Paul B. Cresti
10-11-2004, 9:30 PM
Jim,
I thoroughly enjoyed myself and would like to thank Bob very much much for his time and you for hosting. The problem is I just can not stop drooling over the tools. I find myself thinking ...well if I get that job then I definatley need that tool ... and if I get the other one then I need..... man I did not know what I was getting myself into when I bought my first Festool

Jim Becker
10-11-2004, 9:38 PM
..... man I did not know what I was getting myself into when I bought my first Festool
I trust you are also "coveting" that new router...:rolleyes: ;) :D

Joanne Adler
10-11-2004, 10:47 PM
Thanks again, Jim and Bob! What a neat way to spend an afternoon (good cookies, too). I will second Jim's eval of the new 1400 router--I want one! Jim will collate all of our comments into one of his thorough, sterling reviews, but I just have to say the dust collection on this router is amazing! When plugged into the Festool vac, NO dust escapes at all. If you have the opportunity to see these quality tools in action--do so. I see some in my near shop future.

Jim Becker
10-11-2004, 11:01 PM
Here's how the OF 1400 EQ Plus (middle tool) stacks up physically in comparison to the OF 1010 EQ and the OF 2000.

Paul B. Cresti
10-11-2004, 11:14 PM
Joanne,
By the way, the biscotti were my wife's contribution. She is one amazing cook and baker! One thing with us Italian families is there is never a shortage of quantity or quality of food.

Frank Pellow
10-12-2004, 7:09 AM
Here's how the OF 1400 EQ Plus (middle tool) stacks up physically in comparison to the OF 1010 EQ and the OF 2000.

Jim, will the review cover all three routers? I am trying to decide among them.

Jim Becker
10-12-2004, 8:27 AM
By the way, the biscotti were my wife's contribution. She is one amazing cook and baker!
And I'm happy to report I'm still enjoying it..."as we speak"! Thanks for bringing these yummy morsels!

Jim, will the review cover all three routers? I am trying to decide among them.
I don't see any reason why I can't include some commentary on that, although I will not speak about the other two in detail. If you had to buy one...you want the OF 1400 EQ Plus. If you went for two, add the OF 1010 EQ...it's very light in weight and smaller in size, yet packs a punch. Perfect for many situations where a larger router will not work well or at all. It only takes 8mm, 6mm and 1/4" shank cutters, however, if that matters to you. The 1400 will also accomodate 1/2" shanks.