PDA

View Full Version : First Birdhouse Ornaments

Bob Vavricka
12-22-2009, 3:14 PM
I just finished these which completes the Christmas gifts I am going to make. Now to figure out how to wrap them. The ornaments are made from a tutorial I found online by Eugen Schlaak. I got the idea for the bases and stands from Dick Sing's Making Birdhouses book. Interestingly the body of the first one I turned (the one in the center with the red bird) is the shape I like the best so I'm not sure what that says for practice.
Thanks for looking critiques and comments are always welcome.
Bob V.

Mike Golka
12-22-2009, 3:30 PM
Mighty fine look'n flock you have there. Well done

Ron Erickson
12-22-2009, 4:15 PM
You did very good . The stands are nice too. Ron

John Keeton
12-22-2009, 4:52 PM
Bob, all of them are very nice, however, I think I agree with you - except for the one on the far right. That one is a close second. Nonetheless, you did a great job on all of them!!

Terry Murphy
12-22-2009, 6:11 PM
Great looking bird houses! Is the wire just soft brass?
Thank you for shareing,

Terry

David E Keller
12-22-2009, 7:47 PM
I like these birdhouses... The taller, tapered tops are nice, and I think I like them better than the shorter tops I've seen before. I agree with your favorite, but I wonder if it has as much to do with the pretty figure in that piece of wood. Thanks for posting.

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2009, 9:55 PM
Really nice looking birdhouses. Well done.

Bob Vavricka
12-23-2009, 1:01 AM
Great looking bird houses! Is the wire just soft brass?
Thank you for shareing,

Terry
Terry,
I couldn't find any soft brass wire locally, I ordered some wire from an jewelry/art supply but it wasn't going to get here in time. I ended up using some 3/32" bare brazing rod which I bent by hand around a quart can and a spray can to get the shape I wanted. I used some 0000 steel wool to polish up the rod. When I get the wire I ordered I plan to make a form so I can bend the wire faster and be more consistent. Dick Sing's book has a section for making the bases but never talks about the wire.
Bob V.

Michael Short
12-23-2009, 1:04 AM
Great looking birdhouses Bob. I like the design that you have chosen.

Richard Madison
12-23-2009, 1:07 AM
Nice houses Bob. Good looking birds too. Where do you get them?

Bob Vavricka
12-23-2009, 2:18 AM
Nice houses Bob. Good looking birds too. Where do you get them?
Richard, I got the birds at a Michaels store. I knew to look there from others posting here. If I remember right some have bought birds at Hobby Lobby.
Bob V.