PDA

View Full Version : What Special Foods Will You Be Having This Christmas!

Phyllis Meyer
12-22-2009, 1:07 PM
I know we did this last year, still fun to hear what goodies everyone will be having!

On Christmas Eve we have the Italian Feast...Lasagna-Mostacholli-Italian Beef Sandwiches-Meatballs-Canolli...We all smell like garlic, now that's Amore'!

Christmas Day...Ham and all the goodies!

Merry Christmas To Everyone!
Phyllis & Family:)

Matt Meiser
12-22-2009, 1:18 PM
We've migrated to having our big family dinner on my side on Christmas Eve due to everyone's travel schedules. Dad makes prime rib (and I've hear rumor of side dishes? :D) Chirstmas Day is at our house so my daughter can play with her new toys. We mix it up but this year its going to be spaghetti which is a favorite for many of us. Then at My MIL's the first weekend after Christmas which is usually ham.

John Pratt
12-22-2009, 2:36 PM
Christmas Eve is BLT Sandwiches (with onion on mine). It been a family tradition for as long as I can remember (at least 40 years). Christmas day is the traditional meal with all the fixings. (NO Yam's or sweet potatos though. They make me gag just thinking about them.

Mitchell Andrus
12-22-2009, 2:51 PM
Capusnitza. I'm sure I didn't spell that correctly.

It's a sauerkraut-based vegetable/kielbasa soup that my grandmother brought over from the old country. Incredible. My Dad now makes it, but only on Christmas eve.

Rod Sheridan
12-22-2009, 3:10 PM
Diann was born and raised in England, my background is French Canadian so Christmas dinner foods are always a mix for us.

From my background we have Tourtiere, a pork/beef pie, and from Diann's side we have homemade Christmas pudding, and fruitcakes, both of which age in the workshop for two years, with the occasional unwrapping and application of brandy.

Regards, Rod.

Bonnie Campbell
12-22-2009, 3:15 PM
No idea what the 'food' will be since I'm invited to friends. I'll be bringing cinnamon rolls, peanut brittle, chocolate chip cookies, molasses caramel popcorn balls and whatever other homemade thing I can come up with.....

Doug W Swanson
12-22-2009, 3:26 PM
For Christmas Eve we normally have just a bunch of Hors Doevres but this year we are going to have a Mexican Fiesta with tacos, burritos, tamales, etc.

For Christmas Day I usually make prime rib:D on the rotisserie but this year we are having turkey instead. :(

Doug

Belinda Barfield
12-22-2009, 3:27 PM
At my mom's the traditional Christmas Eve food is seafood, particularly Oyster Stew.

Christmas dinner is at the SO's family home - usually ham and fixin's.

The night after Christmas is at SO's sister's house and is always fried fish, french fries, fried hushpuppies. (gag!) I'm surprised we don't have fried Twinkies for dessert. :rolleyes:

Rod Sheridan
12-22-2009, 4:55 PM
The night after Christmas is at SO's sister's house and is always fried fish, french fries, fried hushpuppies. (gag!) I'm surprised we don't have fried Twinkies for dessert. :rolleyes:

Oh facetious one, aside from shoes, what are hush puppies?

Regards, Rod.

Shawn Pixley
12-22-2009, 6:38 PM
Christmas Eve - Turkey, Stuffing and Potatoes
Christmas Day - Omelets for Breakfast and Beef stew for Supper
New Year's Eve - Oyster Stew!

I'll cook....

Did I mention that I like to eat?

Mitchell Andrus
12-22-2009, 6:45 PM
what are hush puppies?

Regards, Rod.

The recipe may vary a bit, but they basically a deep fried ball of corn dough sim. to corn bread or a corn muffin. Sometimes spiced a bit to suit local tastes. Very, very good from almost anywhere in the country. I like 'em best when a bit of bacon grease is added to the cooking oil.

Cut/pasted from a Google find:

We ate a lot of cornmeal based foods when I was
growing up because corn meal was cheap. In fact,
we could even take grain to the local mill and
have it ground into flour, meal, livestock feed,
etc. Cornbread or biscuits were almost always
served at any meal I attended at many houses in
the neighborhood. They were usually pretty good
too, although I preferred the lighter tasting
hush puppies. Eaten fresh out of the fryer, they
practically melted in your mouth. Here is my
recipe:

Ingredients:
2 cups yellow corn meal
1 cup plain flour (flour is what gave it the
lighter taste and you can experiment with the
amount you use if you want)
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk (you can also use plain milk in
a pinch, but nothing compares to buttermilk)
3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt. I use Lowreys but just
about any brand will work as you are just looking
for something to spice things up a little
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper blend (again, the idea
is to spice things up a little).
1 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 cup bacon grease. This is another big key to
the flavor. In a pinch you can use other types
of cooking oil, but bacon is my favorite.

You also need some type of cooking oil to deep fry
these in. I usually use Crisco oil although peanut oil
and some of the lower fat oils work well too.

Mix all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add your
eggs, oil, and buttermilk. Stir it all up until
the flavors are thoroughly blended.

Turn your cooker on medium-high heat. When it's
hot you can drop your hush puppies in using a
table spoon. Allow them to brown on all sides.
They should begin floating when done, but if they
don't, don't overcook them.

Serve as a side dish with just about any meal. I
loved eating them with fried catfish or fresh
chopped or pulled pork barbecue. Most of the local
resturants added them as a standard feature when you
bought plate meals.

Jerry Bruette
12-22-2009, 7:44 PM
We're doing a little like Phyllis and having stuffed shells along with some ham. Then finished off with just the right amount of homemade Limoncello for desert.

Happy holidays everyone:)

Jerry

Gene Howe
12-22-2009, 7:52 PM
Christmas eve...Tamales and stuffed Hatch chilis.
Christmas day... Prime rib,mashed potatoes and home made Boston creme pie.

Ben Franz
12-22-2009, 8:34 PM
Are you in New Mexico? Hatch chili can't be topped!

keith ouellette
12-22-2009, 9:25 PM
Seeing the wife is working almost all day long every day around Christmas If we get to eat together it would be at a restaurant.

Don't worry. If we eat out on a major holiday we tip very very good for the poor person stuck working.

One thing I do is get a quart of egg nog. I like gustafasans egg nog but couldn't find it at thanksgiving so I don't know which one I'll pick for Christmas.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE egg nog. I get two quarts a year. one at thanksgiving and one for Christmas. It takes every ounce of will power not to drink it by the gallons. When I was young I used to drink tons of it. Glass after glass (or quart after quart).

Then one day at work, I worked at a grocery store, after a co worker saw me polish of my second quart ( with a donut no doubt) he says to me

"do you have any idea how many calories and fat are in eggnog. Your gonna kill yourself. Your hearts gonna explode before your 30. You just drank enough calories for a whole day and you had one earlier...."

He went on and on. But it got me to thinking. It took a few years because I was the type of person who was 6' 180 pounds no matter how much I ate but i never forgot that lecture. So now its 2 quarts a year. My God I want
some egg nog right now.

You should look at the serving size. Its 1/2cup and its like 240 calories.

1/2 cup. it should be illegal.

Chris S Anderson
12-22-2009, 10:20 PM
My upstairs neighbor makes tamales for Christmas. Very good, and I hope to get one or two. Other than that, my folks and my wife's folks serve the standard fare turkey, beef, potatoes, and a little egg nog to fill the belly.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-22-2009, 10:29 PM
I'll be eating a traditional Christmas dinner at my oldest son's house.

My wife left me Sunday.

Mike Wilkins
12-23-2009, 10:34 AM
My mother-in-law is coming to help me assist my wife after having rotator cuff surgery. There will be a pot of Pinto Beans cooking later this week. I would put money on it.

Chris Damm
12-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Christmas eve is a brunch with smoked honey ham home made coffee cake and french toast. Christmas day is prime rib and lobster tails (it's my birthday so I get to choose!).

Rod Sheridan
12-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Mitchel, thanks for the recipe and the description.

Thanks to the description I realize that I had them in a restaurant Tennessee a few years ago.

Regards, Rod.

Belinda Barfield
12-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Oh facetious one, aside from shoes, what are hush puppies?

Regards, Rod.

LOL . . . you aren't familiar with hush puppies, but you are with fried Twinkies? :D

I'm just getting back around to the Creek, so I'm glad Mitchell answered your question. Our hush puppies have jalapenos chopped up in them. Actually, I love hush puppies, and french fries, and fried fish. I just try not to eat a lot of fried food, and EVERYTHING fried at the same meal. It's just too much! Especially after the Christmas meal where everything is made with real butter, heavy cream, shortening, etc. I'm very thankful we have so much good food, I just wish it didn't like to stick with me for so long. :rolleyes:

Darius Ferlas
12-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Capusnitza. I'm sure I didn't spell that correctly.
Kapuśniak.
yes, it's yummy.

Montgomery Scott
12-23-2009, 3:57 PM
Lazy Boy Redhead Ale. Strong (8.2%) but smooth.

Ted Calver
12-23-2009, 7:04 PM
What a miserable Christmas!! I've been on the Atkins diet for nearly two months. My lovely wife is enjoying every carbohydrate known to mankind--german cookies, liqueor filled chocolates, home made cashew brittle mmmmm...and the highlight of my day is a package of pork rinds :(

Matt Walton
12-23-2009, 7:17 PM
Christmas Eve I am going to make a double batch of Alton Brown's Eggnog recipe.
Christmas day, my mom makes a brined turkey (also AB's recipe), it's so good, and moist! we are also going to have mashed potatoes, sweet potatos, and Pepperidge Farm Dressing, as well as a ham.
We usually get a fruitcake every year from a company we do business with, but this year we got a cinnamon streusel coffee cake, so we will have that Christmas morning.

Mark Berenbrok
12-24-2009, 3:27 AM
We'll be eating at my parents home on Christmas. Mom always makes sauerkraut and spareribs as one of the side dishes. My boys love it. However, Mitchell's capusnitza sounds interesting.

I make eggnog and don't worry. It's only twice a year.