PDA

View Full Version : Bench Grinder Recommendations

Paul Steiner
12-22-2009, 10:20 AM
My Birthday I coming up after Christmas and the wife wants something to wrap so I need to go buy myself a bench grinder. Anyone have any recommendations? Lowes has this delta (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=82693-32764-GR450&lpage=none), variable speed with a fine wheel, $140. HD has a Ryobi without variable speed, $70. But I could also go with a grizz or something else. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Matt Meiser
12-22-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm happy with the Wilton 8". Its a high speed and has good power but I'm not a turner and very rarely use it for tools--that's what the Worksharp is for.

Some manufacturers make more than one model of a given size. Get the higher amperage one for more power.

Terry Beadle
12-22-2009, 10:42 AM
I recommend a slow speed grinder ( 1750 rpm ) in 8 inch. I recommend this because it's so much easier to avoid blue steel burning. The stones should be about 36 grit with low temp fry. That will give you the quickest steel removal and lowest temp so temper loss is avoided.

I have not seen any grinder with good stones provided at purchase. There maybe one out there and if so, compare the cost of purchasing good stones vs what they provide.

Happy Birthday!

Kyle Iwamoto
12-22-2009, 11:25 AM
I don't own one, but a lot of turners reccomend the Woodcraft 8" slow speed grinder. It's usually around 100 bucks, on sale sometimes 90 bucks. Eventually, I'll probably pick one up. I also believe you should get a slow speed grinder, to avoid bluing your tools.

Les Heinen
12-22-2009, 2:41 PM
I recently bought the Delta grinder you have linked & so far I am pleased with it. Very smooth running thru all of the speeds and at shut off takes quite a while to stop and with no vibrations. I use it for rough grinding only. The chisels & turning tools are done on my Tormek. For my purposes, I would recommend the Delta.

Matt Stiegler
12-22-2009, 3:51 PM
I don't own one, but a lot of turners reccomend the Woodcraft 8" slow speed grinder. It's usually around 100 bucks, on sale sometimes 90 bucks. Eventually, I'll probably pick one up. I also believe you should get a slow speed grinder, to avoid bluing your tools.

I just bought one of these and it arrived with one of the spindles way out of alignment -- the wheel looked like a spinning taco when I turned it on. Just got the replacement today, but haven't unboxed it yet. Woodcraft handled it very well, but it makes me wonder about the quality control at the factory where they make them.

James Carmichael
12-22-2009, 4:03 PM
+1 for 8", low speed.

Whatever you get, put white wheels on it and use the OEM grey ones for trotline weights.

Jeff Willard
12-22-2009, 4:07 PM
What is it's primary purpose? Grinding carbon steel? Go low speed. HSS (turning gouges)? I think 3400 RPM is just fine.

After being frustrated to the point of tears with any grinder that Delta put their name on (do they even put bearings in them, or just bushings?), I broke down and got a Baldor. Never looked back. They don't come cheap. I parted with about $500 for mine, but at the time, I was selling a lot of turnings, and I felt it was worth it. It comes up to speed quick, has no vibration, and I don't question spindle runout.

Gary Herrmann
12-22-2009, 5:28 PM
I've got the WC slow speed and picked up a used baldor a couple months ago. The baldor is a 7", but I still may swap out the WC with it. The WC is fine, but I can't even tell when the baldor is turned on - it's so smooth. Not sure I'd pay for a new one, but wow. Cast iron everything.

Michael Gibbons
12-22-2009, 6:03 PM
Just bought the Delta 23-725 8" slow speed grinder about 2 weeks ago. Very hard to find one still in stock anywhere since they discontinued them earlier this year. The last place I checked in town had one so of the next day I went. $200. Other places on west coast had them but I would have paid almost as much in shipping since this beast weighs about 80lbs.:eek: Anyhow, unpacked, plugged in and guess what?...it WORKED!!! Comes up to speed in about 2 seconds. Put in 40w track lightbulb per instructions. No major vibration but I'm going to order the Oneway balance jig and new wheels anyways. Then I'm building a riser box so I don't have to bend over so far and mount the Wolverine grinding jig.

Ryan Baker
12-22-2009, 7:16 PM
Stay very far away from the Delta GR450. You've been warned.

Get something 8". If you are grinding turning tools or particularly if you are grinding carbon steel, slow speed can be helpful.

Note: There are a lot of threads about this in the turning forum. You should check there.

Frank Drew
12-22-2009, 8:23 PM
If I had my choice, and money was no object, I'd look for an 8" Baldor slow speed. I wouldn't turn down a 3450 rpm, but you have to be more mindful of using a light touch.

Dave Lehnert
12-22-2009, 10:48 PM
I never would spend this much on a grinder but wonder if anyone has the high end Grizzly unit.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-1-HP-Heavy-Duty-Bench-Grinder/G0596

http://cdn1.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg288/g/g0596.jpg

Cameron Reddy
12-23-2009, 1:25 AM
How about one of these variable speed units from Garrett Wade?
http://www.garrettwade.com/images/500/20A0106.jpg

http://www.garrettwade.com/variable-speed-grinders/p/20A01.06/

Jim Foster
12-23-2009, 9:07 AM
I have a Baldor, I purchased over ten years ago (gosh, prbably 15 yrs ago now). It's a great machine, always a pleasure to turn on.

Paul Steiner
12-23-2009, 9:10 AM
Thanks for the info guys. To help you all out I am planning on using this grinder for a little bit of everything. I have a grinder at work and I have used it for lawnmover blades, resurrecting old chisels, grinding a little bit of everything, and lathe tools. The grinder at home will see the same kinda use but alot more lathe tools. Also what RPM do you all consider slow speed?

Frank Drew
12-23-2009, 9:22 AM
Also what RPM do you all consider slow speed?

Paul, I think 1725 rpm is considered slow speed in a grinder, but I don't know how slow you can to with a variable speed model. 1 rpm? 100 rpm?

Bruce Wrenn
12-23-2009, 10:40 PM
My "go to grinder" is a $29.99 special from Lowes that I have had for almost 30 years now. Big Lots often sells a similar one for $19.99. I built my own low speed after purchasing one from Trendlines many years ago. The bearings in the Trendline unit were trash to start with. Trendlines sent me "open" bearings to replace the bad ones. What were they thinking? So I bought an arbor, and added it to the old motor off my band saw.