PDA

View Full Version : Turducken anyone?

Mitchell Andrus
12-22-2009, 9:40 AM
My wife has decided that making a turducken for Christmas would be too much work. I'm very happy. The thought of a chicken stuffed into a duck, then jammed into a turkey.... Well, a steaming pile of fowl laced with lord only knows how many varieties of bacteria and who knows what undercooked else.

'sides, it'd weigh 24+ pounds... that's de-boned weight. I'd have to suck on it for a couple of months to get rid of it. She's a vegetarian and the kids live in dorms.

Jim Becker
12-22-2009, 11:48 AM
I hear they are absolutely, positively delicious...

Jim Koepke
12-22-2009, 12:23 PM
My wife has decided that making a turducken for Christmas would be too much work.

That ain't nothing.

Up here in the north west there are those who make a great elkdeerhogen.
That is a hog stuffed into a deer stuffed into an elk. A bit further north where you can see Russia, they substitute a moose.

jim

Phyllis Meyer
12-22-2009, 1:02 PM
I thought us cheeseheads ate the craziest things up here in the northwoods. It sounds great, will those kids be home to eat it or is it just for the two of you?

Merry Christmas!
Phyllis:)

Horton Brasses
12-22-2009, 2:10 PM
That ain't nothing.

Up here in the north west there are those who make a great elkdeerhogen.
That is a hog stuffed into a deer stuffed into an elk. A bit further north where you can see Russia, they substitute a moose.

jim

With a brief bit of potential embarrassment I still say:

In the immortal words of Liz Lemon: "I want to eat that."

The turducken sounds pretty darn good too. I have heard of that at least.

Doug W Swanson
12-22-2009, 3:21 PM
I've never had a Turducken but I have heard they are pretty tasty. I work at a grocery store here in Minnesota around Christmas and we sell a few dozen every year.
You might need to invite your whole neighborhood over to finish it off!

Doug

Narayan Nayar
12-22-2009, 4:27 PM
For kicks, I ordered one for Thanksgiving a few years ago. And it was really, really good. Really good. Did I say really good?

You can order them in different sizes. I fed 11 with the one I ordered, but I could have ordered a larger one or a smaller one.

I imagine making one yourself would be a real pain in the *ss unless you're really familiar with those birds and have very good knife skills.

Someday I dream of making an elcopila: An elk stuffed with a cow, stuffed with a pig, stuffed with a lamb. (I don't know if that exists, btw, but a man can dream... :) )

Rob Wright
12-22-2009, 4:42 PM
I keep telling my brother in law that we should do a turkduckengrock -

that's a turkey, duck, pheasant, grouse, woodcock (timberdoodle :) )

- A turducken is pretty good. We made one 2 years ago from game we harvested in the fall and smoked all of them prior - YUMMY!

Myk Rian
12-22-2009, 4:42 PM
I saw the title of this thread and thought it was a game about throwing something at each other. :eek:

ROY DICK
12-22-2009, 5:25 PM
Sounds way too busy for me.

Roy

Jason Roehl
12-22-2009, 5:52 PM
Y'all are making me really, really hungry. :o

Mitchell Andrus
12-22-2009, 6:50 PM
I saw the title of this thread and thought it was a game about throwing something at each other. :eek:

Now THAT'S FUNNY!!!

Mitchell Andrus
12-22-2009, 6:52 PM
Y'all are making me really, really hungry. :o

There's a Hush Puppy recipe in the other food thread. Much easier and just as greasy.

Neal Clayton
12-22-2009, 7:09 PM
hebert's meats (where the turducken originated in LA) now has a facility in tulsa so that they can more quickly/freshly ship turduckens via UPS/Fedex, from what i'm told.

note that some coonass foods do come with warning labels, like so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILviiIs7PMo#t=1m20s

Bruce Page
12-22-2009, 7:16 PM
A bit further north where you can see Russia, they substitute a moose.

jim

Now that's funny!
LOL!

Jason Roehl
12-22-2009, 7:22 PM
There's a Hush Puppy recipe in the other food thread. Much easier and just as greasy.

Taken care of. Wifey made homemade chicken nuggets. I do like hush puppies, though...

Ben Hatcher
12-23-2009, 11:45 AM
I've made 4 or 5 turduckens. They aren't that hard to make. I actually think that there a lot of fun. They do take a lot of time.

I used the recipe from thesalmons.org. The first one was the hardest. I think that it took me something like 20 minutes to bone each bird. Now it only takes 5-10 min each.

There are two kinds of stuffings in the recipe that I make. The total time to prep the ingredients, make the stuffings, bone the birds and assemble the turducken is about 2-3 hours. I get the smallest turkey I can find. That's normally about a 12# turkey. The ducks are all about 5# where I buy them. I cheat and just buy a boneless chicken breast for the center. Cooking time ends up being about 6 - 8 hours depending on how tightly it is stuffed. They are super tasty, and very rich. Since I make it, I get most of the leftovers. This year I had turducken every meal for a week. Yup, it is that good.

Jim Koepke
12-23-2009, 4:38 PM
One of the biggest problems with consuming a Turducken is now bones to put in the stock pot when it comes to making soup.

Have to just do sandwiches and reheating... Darn!

oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

I always count to 11 or 21 before the whew!

jim