PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on vector pin table?

donald bugansky
12-22-2009, 2:04 AM
I was looking to purchase a vector pin table for my laser to assist in getting "cleaner" acrylic cuts. Anyone have any recommendations on where to purchase?

I went to the Trotec site and didn't see any info on it.

After looking at Lee DeRaud's cribbage boards, I was thinking about building some sort of vector pin table but if I can buy already made at reasonable cost, I'd just prefer to buy.

Thx - Bugs

Rodne Gold
12-22-2009, 4:59 AM
Donald , get a piece of black anodised ally to fit your table and use blocks of pex/whatever to elevate...the black ally absorbs the beam and protects the table surface and after a while gets sticky , which makes a nice hold down for very thin stuff you cut directly on the table , also will probably sit nice and snug agains the rulers.
Its also good for positioning cos you can run an outline without the object , the black ally will show the outline and you can just position the object on it and go.

Michael Hunter
12-22-2009, 7:39 AM
I just wish that my laser would cut holes in aluminium!

I have "acquired" six fairly big slabs of thick aluminium (black anodised) and a whole bunch of pins 40mm long.
My intention is to drill one slab with pin holes on a 10mm grid and the rest with grids varying from 20 to 50mm. I've done the artwork to engrave the pin positions into the slabs but that is as far as it has got - the thought of drilling hundreds of holes in my cold cold workshop has put the dampeners on this project!

Bob Davis
12-22-2009, 8:10 AM
Or you could just cut some strips of ali around 50mm tall by 305mm (using the material-stop for consistency) and then bend them, keeping the bend square to the plate, so you end up with a couple of L shaped pieces.
Place on laser bed and voila! Cheap, accurate, movable supports.

Randy Digby
12-22-2009, 8:36 AM
I got my 12" x 24" for my Speedy 100 from Trotec. It costs, but sure is nice since it is made for the laser and has locators that align the table perfectly with the point of origin of the main table. The table is a honeycomb vs pin type but either should work fine. I bought the factory model because I had zero time to work with. I had to be producing cut product the day the laser was installed.

Lee DeRaud
12-22-2009, 11:18 AM
After looking at Lee DeRaud's cribbage boards, I was thinking about building some sort of vector pin table but if I can buy already made at reasonable cost, I'd just prefer to buy.FWIW, I just use the standard ULS aluminum honeycomb vector table, and I've never had any of the problems that seem to force people to cobble up their own.

Dave Johnson29
12-22-2009, 12:04 PM
the thought of drilling hundreds of holes in my cold cold workshop has put the dampeners on this project!

Michael,

That sounds like a job for one of my CNC milling machines. Set it and forget it. Leave it to work it's magic in the cold cold shop. It will call my cell phone when it is finished. I love automation. :D:D

Adam Orton
12-22-2009, 1:55 PM
Ummm hello there Sawmill people. I have an Epilog and it has a stainless table. I took a few 3/4 inch flat head screws and glued small magnets on the tops. I just stick them onto the table and move where needed. They are easy to register when using clear acrylic. Oh and if you are going to try this DON'T use strong ceramic magnets just use the cheap black ones as the ceramics will stick and the screw will pop off.

Michael Hunter
12-22-2009, 7:35 PM
Dave

Some people just enjoy making others really really jealous!

Happy Christmas anyway ....

Dave Russell Smith
12-22-2009, 9:52 PM
Michael,

It will call my cell phone when it is finished. I love automation. :D:D

Sounds like my wife lol :eek: :D