PDA

View Full Version : Latest work - Patternmaker's saw

Leif Hanson
10-10-2004, 3:46 PM
Here is what I was using the cantsaw files and rasps for that I mounted in a handle in a recent post:

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com/ww/saws/saws0005.jpg

The top is the cantsaw file, the middle is a my version of a Disston Patternmaker's saw, and the bottom is a 9" long dovetail saw I just made. The teeth on the patternmaker's saw are tough to cut! The are basically a crosscut profile, but have a very deep gullet. I got it pretty close, but I think I'll have to go back and touch it up a bit more.

The patternmaker's saw uses a recycled blade (obviously), and the dovetail saw uses some new .020" thick spring steel I bought.

Thanks for looking!

Leif

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-10-2004, 4:43 PM
Great lookin' saws Leif!

Bruce

Bob Smalser
10-10-2004, 4:45 PM
Love it, Leif.

Tom LaRussa
10-10-2004, 7:06 PM
The top is the cantsaw file, the middle is a my version of a Disston Patternmaker's saw, and the bottom is a 9" long dovetail saw I just made.Nice stuff!

Pardon me if this is a dumb question but, what is a patternmaker's saw used for?

Leif Hanson
10-10-2004, 7:40 PM
Thank's guys -

What are they for?

Here's the blurb from Disston's saw manual - from Disstonian's (http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/gallery.html) page:

The blade of the No. 1 Pattern Maker's Saw is thin -- (.028). This saw is designed for small, accurate work in pattern and cabinet-making. The teeth are shaped to make a fine, exact cut. 15 points to the inch. Blade of Disston Steel with Disston temper, is 7 1/2 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide. Open handle, applewood, varnished edges.
Disston Saw, Tool and File Manual. 1940.

It's for fine work, and is made similar to a dado saw in that the handle doesn't get in the way when sawing on top of a panel. It is shorter in stature to allow it to get into tight places (where a dado saw can't), hence the slightly pointed toe... The teeth are cut with deep gullets to carry more sawdust (less clogging) also.

It's just another version of a saw, really...

Bob Smalser
10-10-2004, 8:03 PM
Picture hogging out all the wood in a negative image of your truck's rear end and you can imagine why patternmakers used a lot of crank-handle gouges, dado saws and core box planes.