PDA

View Full Version : Jet vs Delta TS

Tom Spring
12-22-2009, 1:27 AM
First... I apologize for another TS comparison thread :-)

I'm looking at buying a new TS... right now I'm up in the air between these two saws:
- Delta 36-L352 3 HP 10" UNISAW® with 52" BIESEMEYER® Fence System (I'm looking at it for $2699)

- Jet JTAS-10XL50-1, 10" Left Tilt Arbor XACTA® Table Saw w/ 50" XACTA® Fence II (I'm looking at it for $1499)

Any thoughts/recommendations? I'm a plain hobbyist woodworker but really want a good TS at the heart of my shop... the Jet I'm looking at is obviously cheaper, but I could afford either one (that means my wife says its ok to get what I want :-) ) They're both 3HP/230v, which is what I'm looking for... I don't think the JET has a riving knife set up, which I would also like...

I'm home on leave from a 1 year tour in Korea, so I don't have the time I would normally spend on all the research... I'm just looking for a "gut feeling"... I want to do the TS purchase right, but I also want to strike now while my better half is agreeable... anyone have expereince with either of these saws? Thanks!

Jeremy Treibs
12-22-2009, 1:39 AM
I believe the Xacta saw you list does not have the newly designed riving knife that the Xacta Deluxe has. I have the 5hp Xacta Deluxe and love it.
Here is the link. It is model 708677PK
http://www.jetwilton.com/us/manufacturing/en/product.html?node=458&product=100940

2199 for that Xacta Deluxe with 5hp and 50" rip seems to be the going price. I bought mine about a year and a half ago from Tool King for 1700 (it came with free shipping and 2 Jet 31" parallel clamps). You should goto the Jet Woodworking site and watch the videos for the Deluxe.

I am sure the Unisaw is an amazing saw, but for me I couldnt justify that big of a price difference.

Glen Butler
12-22-2009, 7:47 AM
That Delta seems a rather high price for a 3hp saw. What makes it different or more desireable than say this one?

http://timberlinetools.com/Delta-36-L31X-BC50-X-SERies-Left-Tilt-3HP-UNIsaw-W-p/delta%2036-l31x-bc50.htm

I expect to pay ~2000 give or take a couple hundred by brand for a 3hp table saw.

Do you want to limit yourself to jet or delta?

Mike Black Milford, MI
12-22-2009, 8:25 AM
Tom,
Of the two saws you are comparing, I would pick the Delta Unisaw in a heartbeat. The main reason for my choice is because I would want a riving knife.

If I were to change the Jet saw to this one http://www.jetwilton.com/us/manufacturing/en/product.html?node=458&product=100938 the 3 HP Deluxe Xacta Saw, I would pick this Jet over the Uni only because it better fits my budget.

Good luck with your choice, welcome back and thank you for your service.

Rod Sheridan
12-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Tom, in that price range I'd buy the General 650 with riving knife.

The General saws are normally higher quality than Jet or Delta.

Regards, Rod.

Paul Ryan
12-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Tom,

If I were buying a new saw I would want a riving knife. They are really nice to have rarly need to come off and reduce kickback by a great deal. I dont have much experience with the jet you are talking about. But I have looked over the new uni you have priced out many times. The new uni is a really nice saw. But for $1999 including free shipping you can get a new powermatic pm2000 that includes a riving knife and mobile base. Unless you are really wishing for a delta uni saw, I think the powermatic is the best deal going right now, by far. One thing to take into account is if you are buying the delta from a local store that is worth something. See if someone else local sells powermatic, that shouldn't be tough it is "the gold standard". See if the local store will match the price. The pm2000 is a heck of a saw and for 2k a great deal. But there is always a sawstop that will but you back $3000.

Here is a link to the pm2000 deal.
http://www.cpopowermatic.com/

Brent Ring
12-22-2009, 11:47 AM
I will be shopping for a new TS as well in June and I have narrowed my choices to either the PM2000 or the Sawstop PCS. I have a neighbor who has a Unisaw, and they are great saws, but the fit and finish, riving knife, and integrated mobility of the PM2000 has it for me. The only reason the Sawstop is still in the running is the safety factor. I have been researching and planning for a new table saw for 3+ years.

Sean Nagle
12-22-2009, 12:22 PM
If I were replacing my tablesaw today, my pick would be the PM2000.

Chuck Isaacson
12-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Tom, in that price range I'd buy the General 650 with riving knife.

The General saws are normally higher quality than Jet or Delta.

Regards, Rod.

I second this option. I have a 650 and LOVE IT!!! Couldn't ask for a better saw.

Chuck

Tom Spring
12-24-2009, 2:35 AM
Thanks for all the feedback... the main reason I'm looking at these two saws is that I can get them at local stores... I live in Alaska, so getting saw online and paying for shipping is always pricey... I was looking to get something from a local supplier... I went and looked at the Delta saw today... very nice! I know it's probably a bit overpriced here... but it is Alaska... everything costs more up here!

scott spencer
12-24-2009, 7:36 AM
The Delta is US made and has modern features like a riving knife....great saw. The Jet is an Asian import...nice enough saw, but if you're going with an import, Grizzly offers a lot more bang for the buck IMO.

jack duren
12-24-2009, 7:22 PM
Delta unisaw is a premium cabinet saw. If I had a chance to buy a new saw I'd by a Unisaw.

Pomermatic and General make nice saws but offer nothing more for the extra cost when it comes to cutting wood....

Tony Shea
12-24-2009, 8:38 PM
I would also go with the Unisaw, especially if the wifey is on board. I love the powermatics but think the Unisaw is not far away in way of useability, if that's even a word. I really like the fit and feel of the Unisaw and would buy one in a heartbeat if my budget fit the bill. Get the USA made Delta.

Jacob Mac
12-24-2009, 9:09 PM
I have the Jet you are looking at, and it is a really nice saw. I have no complaints about it at all. With that said, if I were buying new today, I would get a sawstop or a slider.

If the SS is not in the gameplan, I would think the new Unisaw would be a really nice choice. Granted, I have only looked at them at stores, but they seem pretty sweet. However, the new sawstop is in the same price range as the unisaw, and you get great dust collection, a riving knife, and the blade break. Just something to think about.