PDA

View Full Version : Shellac Problems

Bob Winkler
10-10-2004, 3:21 PM
Based on experience of others (i.e Jim Becker), I decided to finish the NYW jewelry box with Garnet shellac. Since I have only ever used pre-mixed, canned shellac, I went to my local Woodcraft and bought a lb. of Behlen garnet shellac flakes, and the Behlen shellac solvent especially made to dissolve flakes.(I forget the name).

After mixing what I thought would be a 1-2 lb cut in a mason jar, I stirred and let it sit overnight. The next morning I was left with a nice red-colored solution, but about a 1/2" of sticky gunk in the bottom of the jar. The tried stirring the gunk, but it won't dissolve.:eek:

Well I used the solution anyway, and am very happy with the color it leaves the cherry. I'll use this as a wash coat, and mix up more later for additional coats. But is this stuff on the bottom typical, or did I miss something?

Bob

Carl Eyman
10-10-2004, 4:20 PM
Bob: Had almost same experience this weekend. I usually use a Waring Blender to mix flakes and solvent. However, yesterday the blender wouldn't work' so I went to my old way of doing things. I used a quart refrigerator drink container with tight top and shook like crazy. Then as I worked around the shop for the next two hours I shook it again - maybe 4 times. This AM There was about half the volume in the container as a slurry. I went to get my strainers and no strainers. (Just cleaned up the shop) So I siphoned off the liquid on top. Worked fine. Tomorrow I'll buy strainers and and salvage the rest.

In your case the jelling is due. imho, to insufficient agitation. If you don't have a blender you can devote to the task you are going to have to emulate Joe your friendly bartender.

Using the blender I get a lot better yield from the flakes than I did with the shaking routine. The more you shake the better.

Jim Guy
10-10-2004, 5:34 PM
Leave it sit for another day or two. Some flakes, at least in my experience, just take a while longer. Although last time I purchase the premix from Homestead Finishing and that stuff is really great.
Jim Guy

Dennis Peacock
10-10-2004, 7:36 PM
I ordered shellac from Homestead Finishing. You put in the Bekhol first, then sprinkle in the flakes. Shake every hour until you go in the house for the night. Come back the next morning and shake some more. By 24 to 32 hours later, you have a fresh batch of shellac ready to use. The trick is to keep shaking it....and remember to use Plumbers Teflon tape on the threads of the jar so the lid won't be "welded" shut from dry shellac on the threads. DAMHIKT!!!! :eek: :D

Jim Becker
10-10-2004, 8:29 PM
The best advise that I've received on mixing shellac from flakes is to crush or grind the flakes up before you try to put it in solution...several of the "pros" I know actually recommend using a cheap electric coffee grinder for this purpose. The more you pulverize the flakes, the easier they will disolve in the alcohol (or Bekhol if you choose to use it). If you leave them as flakes it can take days to fully disolve!! And you don't want that as you will not have the proper cut...or at least the cut you were expecting.

Carl Eyman
10-10-2004, 10:09 PM
After writing the reply above which was essentially the same message the others have delivered, I went down to the shop tonight and mixed up another batch. This time I used the re-incarnated blender to mix 3 oz of Homestead Seedlac granules and 8oz of Behkenol. I left the blendor on for maybe 5 minutes. By the time I left I could see no residue. Tomorrow I'll strain it and know for sure if it all dissolved on the first try.

I do agree with those above that said the flakes should be ground. The blender will do that for you if you put them in dry. Let us know what works for you.

Ray Thompson
10-10-2004, 11:38 PM
Check on Ebay for a magnetic stirrer. Dump the mixture in and walk away for a couple of hours and everything will be disolved. The other is to make a magnetic stirrer from an old computer drive. Take the magnets from one drive and secure to the platters of another "+" on one side and "-" 180 degrees opposite, get/build a small power supply and you have a homemade stirrer. I haven't tried that one yet but I will this winter just for the fun of it.

Ray

Tim Sproul
10-11-2004, 2:28 AM
But is this stuff on the bottom typical, or did I miss something?
One method of "dewaxing" shellac is to do what you did. Put in the flakes and don't mix......let set for a day or few. Decant the top liquid and leave the "wax" at the bottom. Also done by putting the flakes in some cloth bag and putting into the alcohol....and removing the bag after several days of standing.