PDA

View Full Version : Small gloat...

Michael Stafford
10-10-2004, 3:18 PM
I was out of town this weekend, just got back so no woodworking to report.

However I have an honest to goodness bargain gloat. Went to visit my brother-in-law and Saturday morning we decided to take his dog for a walk around the block. On the next street some neighbors were having a yard sale so I decided to look.

Nothing of interest except one little beat up box under a table that read "Supernova". I picked it up and looked inside and found what appeared to be a pristine Supernova chuck. The guy came over and asked if I was interested. I said " Yeah, what's the deal?"

He said he used to have a lathe and bought it for his lathe. It came without jaws so he put it on the shelf intending to buy jaws. Never did. When he sold the lathe he had forgotten about it. When his wife decided to have the yard sale he was cleaning out the garage and found it. No one had shown any interest except me.

I asked how much and he said " I paid over $150 for it." I replied " But it is not much good without jaws and I'm not sure if it has the right threaded insert." He said it was an 1 1/4x8.

Finally he said, "How about 10 bucks?" I paid him $10 and now own a new, still in the box Supernova chuck. I have been using a Nova so all my jaws and Cole jaws will fit and the insert fits my lathe. Good deal!!! :D

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-10-2004, 3:58 PM
Dude, that just ain't right. You should have paid that poor guy at least $15.00 for it! :p
Seriously good deal on that chuck Michael. I guess it does pay to take a look at yard sales every now and then, huh? ;)

John Shuk
10-10-2004, 4:32 PM
Did you say "SMALL GLOAT"?! Way to score. Seriously I have that chuck and like it. If you go to KMS tools you can get awesome prices on accessories as well. Man oh man I need to take you to the race track someday.

Steve Clardy
10-10-2004, 5:08 PM
Nice haul at a super price!!!

Kent Cori
10-10-2004, 5:39 PM
Lucky duck, lucky duck, lucky duck! :D How come my neighbors never have anything like that at their garage sales? :confused:

Dick Parr
10-10-2004, 8:29 PM
:p :p :p ;)

Jim Becker
10-10-2004, 8:35 PM
"Thief"!! (Great steal...err...buy, Big Mike!!)