PDA

View Full Version : Just need to rant i guess

Gene Hobbs
12-21-2009, 4:13 PM
Sorry guys but I am ready to pull my hair out. Here's is what is going on and tell me if i am in the wrong. I own a trophy shop. Well I have a Race track and a racing series wanting a trophy for their champions that is exclusive to another shop, but since I am doing all there plaques and other awards. They told me to call the other guy up and pay retail or what ever it took to get it. So I call the guy, he tells me he can't sell to me because I own a trophy shop. What difference does that make If I was buying it retail from him because the track told me to call him. He said nope the track could call and order them but I could not. Was I in the wrong for getting upset and telling him where to stick his trophy. I know what he wants to do. Try to steal away my client. I am not trying to steal his idea. I just want to make a customer happy. If the shoe was on the other foot I could care less who bought them as long as the money was good.

Thanks for listing (Rant over)

matt heinzel
12-21-2009, 4:19 PM
If you are paying retail, I can't see an issue. He is still making the trophy and still making the money. I could see it being a problem if you called him asked for some sort of artwork that he uses. I guess you could have just bought it without saying you were a trophy shop owner, but I don't know how big of a town you are in. We are an online company, and when we are in a bind for parts we get them from the one local trophy shop. They don't care since we aren't really direct competition since they are local and we are national.

I hope you are able to resolve this. Maybe you can find a better award on your own that they would be happy with.

Gene Hobbs
12-21-2009, 4:47 PM
Right I told him I did not need any engraving or anything I was going to do it myself since I had all the artwork. Also They are located in PA. I am in NC so I don't think I am taking business away from him. Thats ok there is more than one way to skin a cat. I live across from a race track that I also do the trophies for. I will just give him the money and have him order them for me:)

Stephen Beckham
12-21-2009, 6:02 PM
Good rant - I go through a lot where someone is worried about proprietary rights, intellectual rights or just down to $$$ rights. I hate buying retail to re-retail it, so I don't, I'll buy retail and if nothing else charge cost plus shipping and call it even.

The priority is keeping the customer happy, not the other guy, especially if he's from out of town.

So... Where did you tell him he could stick his trophy??? :D

Mike Chance in Iowa
12-21-2009, 11:04 PM
hmmmm..... how to put this nice?

That guy would make an excellent illustration in a proctology textbook.

Darius Ferlas
12-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Don't get mad, get even.
Find someone trusted to buy the stuff for you for and then call the seller thanking him for the business.

Rodne Gold
12-21-2009, 11:24 PM
I can identify with your opposition , it's not all about the money and more about market share.

I import vast stocks and have a policy and that is under no circumstances to supply ANYTHING to my opposition at any price if they are in any remote way a threat to me or might be at any time , potential opposition.

I don't subscribe to the notion that "at least I'm making some money out of the order" but more the notion "I want the WHOLE order and am not going to make life easier for any of my opposition to complete theirs".
I have never relied on others in my locale in the retail trophy trade or asked for favours of em , I see em as my "sworn enemy" and don't see any reason whatsoever to make em or their customers happy at any expense or inconvenience (like going short of stock myself) .
I don't consider myself selfish or hard headed for adopting this strategy , I have 30 staff and many machines to look after and the more of a monopoly I have over the local market the better for me ... I really dont want to feed the ferrets and rats and mice nipping at my heels , it took much money and school fees to find and tie up my suppliers and develop my products and Im not giving anyone the easy way out...
Bear in mind however , that in south Africa there are no national trophy component suppliers - it's mainly the bigger trophy shops that import direct and market their wares off this base , some act as small wholesalers (as we do) but limit supplys to retailers who cos of location etc can not in any way be construed as opposition.

Hilton Lister
12-22-2009, 1:34 AM
I agree with Darius. Just get someone else to purchase it for you. I wouldn't bother letting the seller know, ignorance is bliss and you may need to repeat the experience at some time

Stephen Beckham
12-22-2009, 10:26 AM
hmmmm..... how to put this nice?

That guy would make an excellent illustration in a proctology textbook.

So the Doc's first question might be "What kind of bet did you lose at the race track?"

Stephen Beckham
12-22-2009, 10:38 AM
I don't subscribe to the notion that "at least I'm making some money out of the order" but more the notion "I want the WHOLE order and am not going to make life easier for any of my opposition to complete theirs".

Rodne,
I understand and would probably have the same feelings in a dog-eat-dog competition area. I'm actually just the opposite here. Very fortunate in the fact that there is enough business to support several small shops or one or two larger shops. As it is, there is only three small shops here and we don't partner up, but more along the lines of collaboration. I purposely don't infringe on things they do to give me more time to do the things they don't provide or do. Therefore, we both cover the area and can tell our customers "I don't do that, but he does." Crazy - right?

Well, with the influx of business growing in our area - my frame of mind is I'm retired! I only open the hobby store 4 1/2 days a week (then come in after hours and weekends to keep up - sounds like I really retired right).

You are totally right on the market share - I don't even play when it comes to something I can do that others might want to try.

One other advantage is that we know each other and know each other's practices. So when Johnny-on-the-spot comes in and misquotes a price from the other store to get me to lower mine - I give him the "my price is not set by their price - if you can get it cheaper there, I'll give you directions to his store." I have lost a few customers that way, but honestly, theres more behind them and I don't want to have to quibble over price every time they come back - good riddends...

Anyway - sorry to ramble, I found it really interesting in your stance and might try to find a way to incorporate some ideas...

Gene Hobbs
12-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Guys I was not trying to get the guy to give me a discount price. The track sent me a link to what they wanted and instead of paying two places, more credit card charges, and shipping. They just wanted me to order the trophies and pay for them. So I could just cut one invoice and one charge. Thats ok though because the track called to buy them and he did exactly what I said he was going to do. Try to get the whole order. So they told him to stick his trophies the same place I did and he lost out on a few thousand dollar order because of greed or pride what ever you want to call it. Heck it wasn't like I was going to pull the sticker off and put my own on it. They knew who it was coming from. Oh well good luck to some of you guys who think you don't need anything from the small guy. I don't care how long you have been in bussiness some day that small guy could help you a bit. That is where my customers come from. Guys who treat their customers like crap. My motto is what ever it takes to make my customer happy. That is why I have some of the largest racing series on the east coast and some of the bigger names in racing. To the other guys thanks for the support. If you ever are out of anything or in a bind just shoot me an email. I will help in any way I can.

Thanks