PDA

View Full Version : Fine Woodworking Issue #210

Clint Schlosser
12-21-2009, 3:00 PM
I recently received this in the mail. After reading a few other threads about the quality of their magazine subscriptions I thought I would solicit some input on this issue.

This issue seemed a little light on content as compared to other issues I have in my collection. I have a 3 year subscription and I think over the average I will get my money's worth. It felt like a story was missing overall in this latest issue.

Ken Werner
12-21-2009, 3:07 PM
Well, it all depends. I've read every FWW since No. 1. Most are good. Some are "lite." I can usually find something in each issue worth reading. Interestingly, as I've changed over time, different articles gain new relevance. My collection is useful as reference material, and I use it often.

As a fairly new subscriber to Pop WWing, I have to say they seem to be doing a great job of coming up with an interesting variety of articles.

Dave Sepucha
12-21-2009, 3:16 PM
It did seem a little "lite" to me as well compared to other issues, but I still feel it is easily worth the $$.

The article on "Curved Panels Made Easy" was pretty hilarious for me. I found it very interesting and informative, just not exactly what I'd call "easy". Then again, I'm a newbie with a small number of tools, and fewer abilities.

Dave Sepucha
12-23-2009, 11:35 AM
I totally agree. In my (short) time as a subscriber, I have learned a ton from that magazine, and I feel I've been learning how to do things correctly, rather than just quickly. They are the ones who used the term "easy" in the title of the article. I just think its funny how different their definition of the word is from mine.

Clint Schlosser
12-23-2009, 11:42 AM
It is funny you mention the "easy" way to do things as described by FWW. This is one of the strong points of the magazine. It is intended to stretch your abilities and for that I respect the magazine for not always going the easy route.