PDA

View Full Version : Finally! Last Christmas Gift

Jim Pritchett
12-21-2009, 2:20 PM
This valet is for my son- in- law. When I told the LOML in Sept., that I wanted to build Christmas gifts for our children, she said I should maybe start today if I expected to finish by Christmas. Looks like she has me pegged! This box is mahogany with bubinga and maple accents. The finish is BLO and aerosol spray shellac. Merry Christmas to all, Jim

John Keeton
12-21-2009, 2:46 PM
Nice work there, Jim! And, just in the nick of time!

John Olson
12-21-2009, 3:32 PM
You tell your wife it takes time to make a work of art. You did put your name and date on it so when a 100 years passes some one on ebay will know who made that.

Chris S Anderson
12-21-2009, 4:00 PM
Beautiful. What is the purpose of the brass peg in the hinge on the back?

Mark Ball
12-21-2009, 5:00 PM
Good eye chris. My guess is a lid stopper.

John Thompson
12-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Very nicely done Jim as I almost missed this with Xmas rush going on around my shack. You did an excellent job with the execution on this one.

Mark Valsi
12-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Jim, I like it !!

I'm a guy who doesn't like to see hinges on the inside of a box. Probably 99% of the time, the back of the box is unseen, but when open, the interior is always seen, ergo, I like my hinges on the back where they are rarely seen, instead of the inside where they are always seen on opening the box.

I like the slip feathers as well, the time and effort and skill on those is outstanding. Good proportions too !!!

Nice job !

Wayne Hendrix
12-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Jim, I like it !!

I'm a guy who doesn't like to see hinges on the inside of a box. Probably 99% of the time, the back of the box is unseen, but when open, the interior is always seen, ergo, I like my hinges on the back where they are rarely seen, instead of the inside where they are always seen on opening the box.

I like the slip feathers as well, the time and effort and skill on those is outstanding. Good proportions too !!!

Nice job !

What are slip feathers?