PDA

View Full Version : What can you tell me about this old brace?

Baxter Smith
12-21-2009, 1:51 PM
You did such a good job with my what is it (hay knife) I went to look for more! Picked this up this summer. Came out of my Uncles Woodshed attic. The farm has been in the family for 7 generations so I am curious as to which of my ancesters might have used it. Any and all info is appreciated!:)

David Gendron
12-21-2009, 2:09 PM
I can't tell you anything other than this is a great looking brace, it look realy well made and it's the first time I see a bit release systam like this one!
Look like a great user to me!

Bill Houghton
12-21-2009, 3:20 PM
It looks like the type of brace that required a notch in the bit shank for the finger visible in the photos to grab. Perhaps one of the tool historians here will weigh in soon.

Garth Keel
12-21-2009, 4:45 PM
Sandy Moss (syndassloot.com) He has an extensive brace collection and may have run across one like yours.

harry strasil
12-21-2009, 5:53 PM
Its a Spring Latch Brace usually used by Coachmakers for quick bit changes.

Jim Holman
12-22-2009, 7:49 PM
I. Wilson "Increase Wilson" made tools in New London, Connecticut from about 1818 through 1865. They are quite plentiful and not especially valuable. They are, however, very nicely made tools and one of the earlier successful US brace patents. A good brace to found a collection with.

Baxter Smith
12-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks Harry and Jim. Using the dates you gave me for manufacture Jim, if purchased new, it probably belonged to my great great great grandfather, Reuben Barrett(1803-1890). He is the man seated in this 1888 photo. He wasn't a coachmaker, just a farmer in Hope, Maine.
Maybe he used it in building some of the barns that are still there. I appreciate the information!

Baxter