PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Systems

John J. Price
12-21-2009, 12:32 PM
I normally do not give recomendations, but in this instance I will because this is really the best sharpening system I have found. I have already done the Tomak and the WoodArt systems with mixed results. I was looking for a system which would allow me to achieve razor sharp tools for turning. I found a company The Best Thinghs Corp. on thier web site and called them directly, talked with Lee and asked him for recomendations, he recomended the Robert Sorby Pro Edge sharpening system, said that he uses it and is able to sharpen his gouges and chisels to razor sharpness within minutes. In any event I ordered this system about a month ago and have been using it ever since, it works.....I no longer spend a couple of hours sharpening all of my tools, just a few minutes on the 240 belt and they are razor sharp. This allows me much more time on the lathe.

Mike Spanbauer
12-21-2009, 2:36 PM
Welcome to the forum John. I'd love to see some of your work too if possible. Show us the cut edge you get from the Sorby system please? For 600 plus accessories, it's not cheap, but you went through $1k in systems before the Sorby, so I assume you're a stickler for sharp edges like myself.

Just a heads up though, generally if your first post on a forum is to rave / support a product, you'll be considered a shill for the product. Stick around and participate, you'll find the company warm and receptive.

mike

Jim Koepke
12-21-2009, 3:55 PM
John,

Welcome to the Creek. Jump on in, the water is fine.

I do a little turning so look over here regularly. If you want to see a lot of pixels used to discuss the benefits of one sharpening system compared to another, look in the Neanderthal Haven folder. There are even some linked in the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs sticky at the top of the conference.

My opinion is that we all have different tools, uses and styles that make the product that works for each of us different.

One example is that a hollow grind makes sharpening a straight chisel on a stone a lot easier for many folks. I do not currently own a piece of equipment that will do a hollow grind.

I do think for my use, my Veritas Mk.II Power Sharpening System is great. It has been used to sharpen everything from axes to plane blades from shovels to nails.

Is it the perfect and ultimate sharpening machine?

No.

I sometimes mix scary sharp methods, (sand paper), with oil and water stones.

You mention a touch up with 240 grit. I do not even think I am close to sharp with a plane blade until it has passed the 2500 grit paper. Then it is on to the stones.

240 grit is about 58 microns in size.
2500 grit is about 9 microns in size.
A Norton 8000 water stone grit is listed at 1.2 microns in size.
Hopefully, one day I will be able to purchase an even finer stone than the 8000.

I am sure you have a quality system. Many knife makers use similar systems to put an edge on their knives.

My wife complained about the kitchen knives one time. So they were taken out to the shop and introduced to my water stones. When your wife complains, like mine did, that the kitchen knives are too sharp, you will know you are getting close to a good sharpness.

I like my tomatoes sliced thin. She prefers to use a serrated knife, yuck!

Different strokes for different folks.

jim