PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Baseball bat

James Stokes
12-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Has any one engraved an aluminum baseball bat? Are those anodized? I have never tried. I had some one just call me about 1. I told them right off I could not guarentee it. But she is insisting in bringing it by tomorrow. Any one?

Dan Hintz
12-21-2009, 1:38 PM
Some are... sometimes they just paint them with an epoxy (kids bats). $10 says she brings you a silver bat, though ;)

Steven Wallace
12-23-2009, 11:10 PM
So did Dan win his bet or was it colored?

Dave Johnson29
12-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Has any one engraved an aluminum baseball bat? Are those anodized? I have never tried. I had some one just call me about 1. I told them right off I could not guarentee it. But she is insisting in bringing it by tomorrow. Any one?

I labeled a bunch for the local High School. Some were clear coat paint over color and they turned out fine with plenty of speed and not too much power. I bought a painted one from Wallys to practice on.

Some were anodized aluminum and they worked fine as did the anodized Titanium ones. Had my hands shaking a little with the first $400 Titanium one. I used the same settings as aluminum and it seemed to work fine.

I made an adjustable jig to hold then as the curvature of the profile is different on them all it seems. It also gave me a known center line to work from. It was basically two vee-blocks, one fixed and one sliding on a beam.

Having built my laser, I made doors to allow for long objects.

James Stokes
12-24-2009, 5:08 PM
She did not ever bring it by.