PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for etching a picture in wood?

Andy Joe
12-21-2009, 10:49 AM
I have a job to etch a picture of two boys into wood. I got the job off of the customer looking at what i did on marble, Im not at all sure of what i need to do to the pic to get it to come out like it does on marble. I have made a few modifications and gave a test run on sample wood and it looked horrible, i either get the skin to show and everything else to be so dark its no longer a surface etching, or the shirts show up fine but its just a set of floating eyes with a mouth for the head. Im attaching the pic, if anyone can help i would love to hear any advice

Tom Bull
12-21-2009, 10:58 AM
What wood/finish are you engraving? When worse comes to worse you can use Photo Paint to mask areas and adjust the brightness-contrast in specific parts of a photo. Had to do that recently with a wedding photo that didn't have good tonal range.

Andy Joe
12-21-2009, 11:08 AM
useing maple that was been glued together to make a head board. I will trying the masking trick. thanks

Dan Hintz
12-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Also, be aware that you are not going to get nearly the same resolution you did with marble. Figure something in the 200dpi range is about right for a really tight grain wood, possibly closer to 125-150dpi for an open grain...

Frank Corker
12-21-2009, 5:48 PM
Try this attached file and see how it looks. Just do the normal settings for wood and see how you get on. I processed the image through photograv so it might be a little better. I had to darken the clothing on the boy in the dark shirt because that was very blotchy mainly because the picture has been overworked. If you are still having problems you can pm me and I will see if I can do better from the original pictures.

Andy Joe
12-22-2009, 2:54 PM
worked perfect thanks

Frank Corker
12-22-2009, 4:37 PM
......Cool

Dee Gallo
12-22-2009, 9:07 PM
You always are, Frank!

:) dee

Frank Corker
12-23-2009, 11:39 AM
That's nice to hear Andy. I'm glad it did the trick.

Andy Joe
12-23-2009, 12:15 PM
It worked great Franks, thanks a ton. You helped me out alot. Thought you might like to know the guys reaction was to cry when he seen the peice. So im beating you made his day tooo!!!!!