PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman TS advice

Jalin Key
10-10-2004, 8:38 AM
Hello friends, I'm new to the forum and thought I would jump in and get my feet wet with a newbie question.:D

I have a friend who has a craftsman contractor saw model 113.299510. He is wanting me to try and get some info for him. He wants to replace the stock fence, with a delta unifence. Is this possible? How hard is it to install? and where can he get one? I tried talking him into checking out the Vegas, Mules. Bies, and Incras but this is his choice and I'm going to try and gather the info and help him with the install if it is possible. As many details as you could give would be most helpful. Thanks in advance for your help.

Kelly C. Hanna
10-10-2004, 9:18 AM
My buddy just put a Beismeyer on his C'man TS. You can put virtually any saw fence on any saw. Try a google search for "unifence on craftsman" and see what it turns up...ya never know.

Brian Austin
10-10-2004, 9:28 AM
According to Delta's website (http://www.deltawoodworking.com/), the fence fits almost every available table saw. You can download the manual, which gives the specs on bolt patterns by going to the site, click the Tech Support Menu and select Manuals. Type U50 for the model number.

Amazon/Toolcrib is showing a 50" for $314 right now.

Tyler Howell
10-10-2004, 10:29 AM
Welcome Jalin ,

Great to have you in the Creek.

I'm with Kelly. Biesmeyer makes an after market just for the Cman every hole already drilled. Made a world of difference to mine. also tripled the value of the saw which brings us to my rant. It will still be a Cman contractor when you're finished. A good starting place with many a wood worker but I found less than satisfying.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-10-2004, 10:38 AM
Welcome to the 'Creek, Jalin! As I'm sure you know....wide diversity of people here always willing to exchange ideas and opinions. Again......Welcome!

Brian Austin
10-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Welcome Jalin ,

Great to have you in the Creek.

I'm with Kelly. Biesmeyer makes an after market just for the Cman every hole already drilled. Made a world of difference to mine. also tripled the value of the saw which brings us to my rant. It will still be a Cman contractor when you're finished. A good starting place with many a wood worker but I found less than satisfying.

The guy already made a decision on the fence. He's just looking for confirmation.

While I agree the Bies is a better buy (although not as good as my Incra :p ) , the Delta Unifence is a nice product. And yes, a Craftsman is still a Craftsman regardless of which fence is on it. My own Craftsman TS is a better saw today, after a few upgrades, then it was when I purchased it. I made a significant investment already and didn't want to take the loss.

Ted Shrader
10-10-2004, 12:05 PM
Jalin -

Welcome to the Creek. Glad you introduced yourself. A great, freindly place to hang out and exchange ideas.

As for the TS..... A new fence will make it better thAn is was before. The Unifence will bolt up to it. Might have to make an extra hole or two, but that is relatively easy to do. When you get around to it, make sure you have a few C-clamps close by. You can get the rail exactly where you want it prior to drilling any new holes. That will save you reaming out the holes later to get enough play for proper adjustment.

I understand your friend has aleady chosen the Unifence and you tried to point out some other types. Is there some particular feature of the Unifence that is desired rather thAn one of the others? If that is what he wants, thEn you must go with that.

Welcome,
Ted

Jalin Key
10-10-2004, 5:00 PM
Thanks for a the replies and advice guys. The feature that sold him ( and I know nothing about this fence) is some part of the fence that flips down or over, that really helps with very thin stock. I'm gonna tell him to go for it, and order the thing. Thanks again guys!

Brian Austin
10-10-2004, 7:09 PM
The feature that sold him ( and I know nothing about this fence) is some part of the fence that flips down or over, that really helps with very thin stock.

If that's the only reason for the Unifence vs a Biesmeyer or Bies-clone, I'd go with the Bies at that point. The flexibility of a Bies fence and all the neat stuff you can do with one (including making a thin stock auxilary fence with minimal fuss) outweighs the thin stock feature on the Unifence, imnsho.

Check out Jim Tolpin's "Tablesaw Magic" for some interesting jigs and fixtures for a Biesmeyer fence. He's got a whole system that, sadly, I can't use on the Incra nor could your friend on the Unifence.