PDA

View Full Version : Newbie friendly lumber yards?

John Almberg
12-21-2009, 9:21 AM
I'm a newbie boat builder/wood worker who's really enjoying this new hobby. My collection of old hand tools is growing steadily, I've learned how to get chisels *really sharp*, and I've figured out how to tune my band saw.

But the biggest hurdle so far has been finding a good source of wood, and I bet this is a big problem for many newbies.

Experienced wood workers won't learn anything new from me, but I thought the other new builders lurking on the list might find my latest blog post helpful, at least if they live in the New York/New England area:

http://www.unlikelyboatbuilder.com/2009/12/occams-razor.html

Any other recommendations for newbie-friendly lumber yards?

-- John

Michael Peet
12-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Thanks for that. I've been wondering if the 5-hour drive down to Condon would be worthwhile.

Mike

fred woltersdorf
12-21-2009, 1:33 PM
Should have read your blog first.

Richard Wolf
12-21-2009, 4:23 PM
John, there aren't many lumber yards left on Long Island. Robert's Plywood in Deer Park has a very nice selection which you can pick thru. Rozenwieg lumber in the Bronx is not a bad ride with a very large selection. Lastly, J&A lumber in Ronkonkoma used to have a large selection, but has suffered with the economy and it is hit and miss, but worth a try for material you need right away.
Expect to pay premium prices which reflects everything in the New York area.

Richard

Jim Breen (NY)
12-21-2009, 11:32 PM
I second Roberts Ply. Very good to work with, let you take your time to find the lumber you want, and they loaded it right onto my truck. They also carry marine ply.

I'm a newbie and I felt completely at ease there.

John Almberg
12-22-2009, 12:14 PM
John, there aren't many lumber yards left on Long Island. Robert's Plywood in Deer Park has a very nice selection which you can pick thru. Rozenwieg lumber in the Bronx is not a bad ride with a very large selection. Lastly, J&A lumber in Ronkonkoma used to have a large selection, but has suffered with the economy and it is hit and miss, but worth a try for material you need right away.
Expect to pay premium prices which reflects everything in the New York area.

Richard

I agree. Robert's has a huge slab of air-dried white oak I'd love to drag home one of these days. I just couldn't figure out how I'd mill it into the pieces I need.

However, I'm reading a book about that process, right now, so hopefully in the future...

Condon's really did provide the extra hand-holding I needed at the at moment, though, which is why I think they are great for newbies like me.

I'll add your other references to my list. Thanks!

-- John

John Almberg
12-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks for that. I've been wondering if the 5-hour drive down to Condon would be worthwhile.

Mike

Give them a call before you drive down, but they do have a huge selection. And they apparently have another yard a bit further up north.

Obviously, I was impressed (and not a little relieved to finally get the parts for my boat's 'back bone'.)

-- John