PDA

View Full Version : PART II: Oneway balancing kit & Woodcraft 8" grinder

Jamie Straw
12-21-2009, 12:54 AM
Several people have testified, with their hand on a big maple burl, that they have the Oneway balancing kit mounted into the original wheels of the Woodcraft 8" slow-speed grinder. Sadly, I can't see that I'll be able to do the same with the grinder I picked up Saturday. Here's the scoop:

Outside diameter of Oneway flange spindle -- .997"
Inside diameter of wheel's arbor hole (if I were able to get the metal bushing out) -- .847"
What have I done that's so egregious as to deserve this punishment?! Have been a week without being able to grind a tool.:( [yes, I tried free-handing the spindle gouge. Not a good idea:eek: Maybe next year, or next life.]

OK, that was a vent. Frustration is a useless emotion, right? Time to decide between the fancy Geiger's dressing tool and a pair of new wheels.

Kyle Iwamoto
12-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Hmm. Maybe I see a Tormek in your future?

I can't see how you can have problems where other have not... Have you been naughty or nice? :) Sorry to hear of your problems. I can't help as I have a Tormek.

Did you try rotating one of the wheels 90 degrees and see if that changes the vibration? Sometimes that helps.

If that does not, Woodcraft has a very good return policy. Most people have no problems with the grinder IIRC. Maybe you got a lemon.

Gordon Seto
12-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Outside diameter of Oneway flange spindle -- .997"
Inside diameter of wheel's arbor hole (if I were able to get the metal bushing out) -- .847"

Time to decide between the fancy Geiger's dressing tool and a pair of new wheels.

I measured the steel bushings that came out of my ex-Woodcraft grinder. They are nominal 1" diameter. They are imports from China. They might have switched suppliers of the wheels.

Putting lipstick on a pig is still a pig. You can't make a low quality wheel into a good wheel by just truing it up. A dresser won't do any good if the wheel has loop-sided hole or poor uniformity in density. I have the single point dressing tool and love it. But I believe there are more turners who don't have this tool and still have satisfactory sharpening set up. Anchor your dresser against the platform and don't ride with the wheel. You can achieve the same result.

Use a dial indicator to check the run out of the shaft on the grinder. You may want to use some machined flat washers to replace the OEM stamped flanges that came with your grinder.

The WC SS grinders do not have tight quality control. If you take your back for exchange, you may want to plug it in and check it out before leaving the store. That would save you some frustration and gas.

John King
12-21-2009, 12:31 PM
See my post titled Wobble vs Balance under thread "Oneway wheel balancing kit and 8" wheels (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=127600)". - John

Jamie Straw
12-21-2009, 6:12 PM
John at the Seattle Woodcraft was very cooperative and helpful this morning when I called. He informed me that, indeed, the WC slow-speed grinder wheels will not accept the balancing kit from Oneway. I explained my frustration over the mis-information, and asked that they ship me two new wheels, with a break for the shipping. He unhestatingly agreed.

As far as "naughty or nice" -- Santa's decided "nice", a great gift certificate at Amazon from one of my clients. That will help with adding chisels to the armory!:)

Jamie Straw
12-21-2009, 6:22 PM
Hi, Gordon, thanks. I'm holding off on any more purchases other than new wheels. Can't wait for delivery if there's any hope of getting a couple of Christmas presents made, so am settling for the pink wheels from Woodcraft, they'll arrive tomorrow. Will spring for some Norton 3X's in the spring, next shot of income arrives then.

I know the WC slow-speed grinder is a bottom-drawer item, but near as I could tell, it's better designed than the Delta VS grinder. I'll check for run-out. The washers will be replaced by the Oneway flange and rim, so no need for the machined washers, though I may pick up a couple for my 6" grinder some day.

Am going to try John King's shop-made dressing tool, and start looking for a Baldor on Craig's List. Have had really good success there when patient.

jason lambert
12-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Tormek, gave up on my grinder have a bran new one way balancing kit I never installed, never lookd back once I got the tormek edge is better in evey way and I waste much less tool. There new stone is also great with hard tools it sharpins about twice as fast as the old one.

Jamie Straw
12-22-2009, 12:32 AM
Which model Tormek do you have, Jason?