PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: simple plans for table saw miter sled

Doug W Swanson
12-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Hey all,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a plan of an adjustable miter sled for a table saw?

I made one segmented bowl a few weeks ago but when I used my miter saw for cutting the segments I ran into a few problems with it (not being as accurate as I had hoped).

I'd like to start turning some more segmented bowls and this would make things a lot easier.

I thought about buying one but figured I could make my own for much less (then I can buy more tools, right?).

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Doug

Hilel Salomon
12-21-2009, 7:26 AM
Hi,

Having made lots of boxes for the grandkids, I swear by my dubby sled. It can make octagonal, 12 sided, 16 sides boxes in minutes. I don't know what they cost now, as I bought two pairs some years ago after watching the demonstrations at a woodworking show in Charlotte. I figured that the cost was comparable to buying the materials and assembling them myself.

I haven't made segmented boxes, but some time ago, our SC club had a demonstration of making them with a Dubby, and quite a few of our club members asked me for their address.

Here's their website http://www.in-lineindustries.com/

Regards, Hilel.

Kyle Iwamoto
12-21-2009, 10:55 AM
You may get more answers on the general power tools forum. This question has been asked and debated many times. If you need to do other than 90 and 45 degree cuts, I'd suggest the INCRA sled. IMO it's much more cost effective to buy, than create an accurate adjustable sled. I have not bought one yet, but, I will. I'm still fighting with my 89 degree sled.... So much problems, if I had just bought the INCRA, I would be happy right now.

Or you can use a GOOD miter saw. That's how I do it now.

Malcolm Tibbetts
12-21-2009, 4:45 PM
Doug, you're better off building dedicated sleds for each miter. For most segmented work, that would be 22.5, 15, and 11.25 degrees. If you think about it, when building a 16-segment ring, that's 32 angles and a 1/10 degree error adds up to 3.2 degrees of total error. A perfectly set miter angle is a valuable thing - it's a shame to change it. Good luck.