PDA

View Full Version : Neander looking better all the time

James Scheffler
12-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Just a rant.... About a month ago, I was ripping some boards to final width on my radial arm saw, which generally has treated me well. I noticed that the edges weren't coming out quite square. Investigating further, I found that the blade was square to the table in crosscut mode but not in rip. Clearly an issue with the table not being adjusted correctly (but I checked and made other various adjustments first just to make sure). If you've ever used an RAS you probably know how this goes.

So at the time I thought, I can either rip them not quite square and fix them with a hand plane, or I can really adjust the saw correctly so everything will come out right in the first place.

Well, this is a hobby and I'm busy, so I really only average 10 or 15 minutes a night to do woodworking. So I ended messing around with this for a month. I ended up fixing a table flatness issue with my No. 6. Finally I got everything back together... and it's still not right. It's better than when I started, and maybe close enough, but it's still not right. :mad: In the meantime, no real woodworking got done.

During all this, I started looking longingly at a Disston rip handsaw that I've had for a while but have never cleaned up or sharpened. Hmmm.... :)

Thanks for the chance to vent!

Jim

Jim Koepke
12-20-2009, 11:01 PM
During all this, I started looking longingly at a Disston rip handsaw that I've had for a while but have never cleaned up or sharpened. Hmmm....

Sharpening an old hand saw is much more satisfying than cussing at a power saw.

jim

David Gendron
12-21-2009, 1:02 AM
That is one reason to go neander... can you imagine all the wood you would of rip with that hand saw!!!

Randal Stevenson
12-21-2009, 2:10 AM
That is one reason to go neander... can you imagine all the wood you would of rip with that hand saw!!!

Enough to save on a gym membership?