PDA

View Full Version : Now i need suggestions

Steve Mawson
12-20-2009, 8:07 PM
After you look at the pictures you will probably be able to tell what happened to my first HF. Needless to say it had a nice top which I was quite proud of, can you say too thin about 2 inches down from the top. Anyway I added this hard maple top because the opening was just too large after the top came off. However the inside is hollowed out very nicely. The hole in the top is currently 1 inch. Whole piece is about 12 inches tall. I could open it back up, add some kind of lid or a finial. I am sure some of you have other ideas so your HELP (suggestions) would be appreciated.

Not a Christmas present or under any time frame to complete.

Ron Bontz
12-20-2009, 8:31 PM
For some reason I see a hole just big enough for coins and a nice walnut finial. :)

charlie knighton
12-20-2009, 9:10 PM
Steve,

i hope i can explain what i see, when i first started hollow forms i did the same thing

your tendon for your chuck: it should be chuck,tendon, 1/4" thick waste wood wider 3/8" than your tendon and bottom of hf, then hf

the chuck fits flat against the waste wood but the tendon is not touching the bottom of the chuck

the waste wood helps keep your tools away from your chuck and gives you a little extra wood to use or not when finishing the bottom, sometimes bottom depth gets a little tricky :eek: and does not go as planned

charlie knighton
12-21-2009, 3:17 PM
you may want to put your drive center in headstock and revolving center in tail stock, see if the points meet, if they do not, you need to adjust legs

Wally Dickerman
12-21-2009, 3:55 PM
Steve, you have a very nice form here. A good curve and tucked under at the bottom. I think that 1 inch opening for the flared rim is too small. An opening of perhaps 2 1/2 inches and a nicely rounded curve down into the opening would be my choice. I don't think that a finial works on a flared opening.

Sometimes people get carried away with too small openings for the piece. It's all a matter of balance and good proportions to get good form.

Wally

Ken Hensley
12-22-2009, 5:57 PM
Steve, I agree with wally. Good form, just needs a larger opening to even out the piece.

Ken

charlie knighton
12-22-2009, 8:02 PM
Steve,

my 1st vase, i have it in living room with peppermint candy in it, i have never put it up for sale, that was 1st step on a segment of the learning curve, enjoy your learning curve, it has many twists and turns :D

Richard Madison
12-22-2009, 9:20 PM
Steve,
Can't say I like the big flange top, and would turn it back to a typical hf shape with a small neck. Might increase opening to 1-1/8" or 1-1/4" to make shaping the inside a little easier.