PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor

Peter Stahl
10-09-2004, 9:55 PM
I have a Central Tractor Farm & Family air compressor that isn't pumping well. Motor is fine but the compressor doen't pump the tank up. How would I find out the manufacturer and get a rebuild kit for it? Is this possible? Model# is X500-BPC60V. Are they rebuidable?

thanks, Pete

Dennis Peacock
10-09-2004, 10:16 PM
I'm not real sure on those, but I will guess that those are made by Campbell and Hausfield. How old is the compressor?

Peter Stahl
10-09-2004, 10:22 PM
10 to 15 years old.

Charles McKinley
10-10-2004, 10:57 AM
Hi Peter,

I would contact Ingersol Rand first and ask them if they made it then Campbell Hausfield. Sanborn compressor was bought out by Coleman. You have to call a pay per minute line to get a hold of them. Emglo has been bought out by Dewalt but I think they are still selling under the Emglo name also. Devilbliss (sp?) is another company that makes a lot of pumps for others

Look at the compressor head closely. Maybe even take some pitcures. Then go to places that sell the different brand of compressors until you find one that appears close or is an exact match and contact that company first.

I hope this gives you a place to start at least.

Ted Harris
10-10-2004, 5:16 PM
I have a Central Tractor Farm & Family air compressor that isn't pumping well. Motor is fine but the compressor doen't pump the tank up. How would I find out the manufacturer and get a rebuild kit for it? Is this possible? Model# is X500-BPC60V. Are they rebuidable?

thanks, Pete
Well, it is kind of a catch 22 situation. Most companies stop making and stocking rebuild kits after several years. They simply do not support their products. Since we live in a disposable society, they would rather sell you a new one. I encountered this problem when a couple of rubber rope gaskets blew out on mine. Here (http://www.tedharris.com/compressor.htm) is a picture of what happened to mine. When I called Campbell-Hausfeld, they stocked no parts for this particular motor as it is 10 years old, and had not even a clue as to how to get the parts I needed (yeah right, like they don't know where to get rope gasket material!). Their lackadaisical attitude really pissed me off :mad: ...anyway, it is a nice quiet pump and I could not see throwing it away because of a fifty cent part. When I called repair shops, they wanted to sell me another compressor. :eek: Go figure!
After searching around on the internet for what seemed like weeks, I found a company that knew where to get the parts. ;) Turns out that there are companies out there that buy warehouses full of stuff that is not going to be supported anymore. You have to get ahold of someone that knows how to find the parts, and believe me those people are few and far between. Most of them are not interested if they are not making a killing. :(
I had to buy a few extras that I really did not need to meet the minimum, but eventually I would have needed rings and valves anyway. Ended up costing me $50- bucks...only because they had to order from another warehouse, and there was a minimum order required from the other place. I went ahead and replaced them while I had the pump apart. Prior to doing this, I had never worked on a motor or pump. Pumps are quite simple to repair.
My advice to you would be to call Fred @ Phillips Air Compressor in Chicago.
His number is (773)778-1100. He was very helpful and understanding of my dilemma. If he can't get the parts, then ask him where you can get them. My guess is if he can't get them, no one can! Please let me know how it works out...Good luck! :)

Peter Stahl
10-11-2004, 8:17 PM
Thanks for the replys. I sent emails to CH & Devibiss but haven't heard anything yet. Seems to resemble the Husky compressors at the Depot and they are made by CH I believe. If I can't find out who made it then I just disect it anyway. Tanks in really good shape and the motor is only 2 years old so maybe I buy a new pump if all else fails. No hurry so I wait this out a while more.

Pete