PDA

View Full Version : Laserpro Mercury manual needed

Alton Folsom
12-20-2009, 4:07 PM
Have a problem with the laser. Anyone know where I can get a real tech manual instead of the user manual. Need to know how to upgrade the firmware or run diagnostic. Info is sporadically getting to laser. Also any knowledge of tech bulletins, sites for techies. I know it is out there, just cannot find it. Any help?

Richard Rumancik
12-20-2009, 6:14 PM
The only "tech" manual I have seen can be found on the jorlink.com site. It is not very detailed; however it may help a bit. Try here
www.jorlink.com/page.aspx?page_id=49 (http://www.jorlink.com/page.aspx?page_id=49)

I have a pdf to update firmware. If you can't find it, send me a PM and I will send it. It is too large to post here as it has graphics (procedure itself is simple.) It might be in the maint manual.

There is also laserproi.com and laserproNA.com for downloads but you will need a password. If you go to your local distributor (even if you didn't get it from him) you should be assigned a password.

If you need your dealer's name contact the NA (California) office:
URL: http://www.LaserProNA.com
GENERAL: staff@LaserProNA.com
SUPPORT: support@LaserProNA.com
SHIPPING ADDRESS: LaserProNA
17740 Holiday Dr
Morgan Hill, CA 95037
PHONE NUMBER:
1-866-452-9377

If you are having "sporadic" communications problems I would try a new cable to start. Are you using a parallel port cable? You could try serial, at least as a test (it will be slower). Make sure connection is straight from PC to laser - no switchboxes or gadgets.

To start the diagnostics, power up the machine while pressing the START/STOP key and the PAUSE key. It should display "Start hardware check Use function key". This is probably in the maintenance manual.

Chuck Stone
12-20-2009, 9:42 PM
To start the diagnostics, power up the machine while pressing the START/STOP key and the PAUSE key. It should display "Start hardware check Use function key". This is probably in the maintenance manual.

That just hangs up the printer. It locks up and no keys will work. Nothing
will happen till the power is turned off. There's a message about the
firmware booting, but that's where it stops.

This happens with or without the cables attached to the computer, so I
don't think it is related to cables, computer or driver. Also tried it on
different electrical outlets and alone on a circuit.

Oh.. BTW, Alton and I are trying to figure this out. I'm Chuck .. off and
on lurker, but joined up today.

We just thought someone might know of other manuals besides the basic
ones available online. Perhaps I/O checks, logic flowcharts, tech bulletins,
advanced troubleshooting etc. I've done tech support for years and I
understand that there are often manuals that the manufacturer is afraid
to give to the customers. (some people will push any button they find)

The intermittent printing issue is that sometimes the file will get to the
printer but the only keys that will work are the table up/down, Pause
and Resume and perhaps Delete File. Start has no effect. Or sometimes
the X and Y motors will move, but not always. and then later on it might
print. Or not. And I have zero experience with the equipment till this
week (just got it)

Thanks for reading, sorry if it got long winded..

Rodne Gold
12-20-2009, 11:02 PM
Sounds like a motherboard problem to me ...if the machine wont go thru bootup and no motors are malfunctioning
If it's not that , it could be the display thats failing , which is not uncommon on the mercuries..that will give rise to errors you are experiencing as well.
Also check the ribbon cable to the flying head , they often crack a track due to flexing , will also give you boot up and other problems and can be intermittent.

Chuck Stone
12-20-2009, 11:14 PM
There's some good things to check .. and easy, too.
Should be easy enough to check the ribbon cable for continuity, but
I'm nit sure what I'd do if it's a main board. They don't usually
give those away. I wonder what would go wrong on the board?
EEPROMs?

I was able to download new firmware, but no instructions on how to load
it. Sometimes there's a keyed entry and boot sequence for it, sometimes
there's an installer program or hardware to load it. The ReadMe didn't really
say much, so I'm not sure.
Waiting for the weekend to be over so you can fix your machine is no
fun when you just got it and you just want to play.. :p

Richard Rumancik
12-21-2009, 1:22 PM
Alton & Chuck

I don't think I can attach files when sending PMs thru Sawmillcreek.

I don't know if you will be successful loading the new firmware as the machine seems to be crippled in some way. You might mess it up if the old firmware is erased and the new firmware does not load. You may know more than I do in this respect. Use this info at your own risk . . .

Here's the condensed version:

How to upgrade firmware in the Mercury:

1. Power on PC first. Make sure printer spooller is empty, and printer (laser) cable is connected.
2. Power off Mercury. Power ON again while holding RESUME key. It should come up with a "Boot loader" message.
3. Set PC to DOS mode.
4. at c:\> prompt in Dos Window type: copy d:vx-x.dat LPT1/B
It should display progress eg erasing, loading etc. then display new firmware version.

where d: is the drive the new firmware is stored (eg on USB stick D )
LPT1 assumes you are using parallel port1
/B is binary transfer
vx-x is the version of the firmware e.g v1-42 (V1.42 is an old version)

The serial port process is a bit different but I don't have it handy.

You can also try the upgrader.zip method ( I'm attaching it.) It is a little program that does not use the DOS window. Also supports serial port (COM1).

I'm also attaching a DOC file (info re:if you can't get to diagnostic procedure). Look at this first and see if there's anything you haven't tried.

I don't think much technical info is available on-line and probably the detailed info that you need is not in English. When I bought my laser I indicated that supplying schematics was a requirement of the sale - GCC agreed but after delivery, all they would give me is wiring diagrams. The board schematics are not available.

You may have done this already but if not, reseat the RAM, EPROMS, and all connectors on the MB. Maybe even try swapping the memory altogether if you can't get a RAM check from the diagnostics. Just some ideas.

If the EPROMS have gone bad you should be able to get new ones but get some GCC advice first. They may want the old ones back. I don't think much else on the MB is removable.

Alton Folsom
12-21-2009, 2:11 PM
Thanks Richard,
We will try that. Appreciate the help.
Alton

Chuck Stone
12-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Richard.. thanks VERY much. (to everyone!) That's exactly what I was
looking for.
I've re-seated all the plugs, checked voltages, re-seated the RAM but
didn't touch the PROMS yet. Found a cracked plastic connector on the
flying head, but the cable was still seated properly. Not much else I can
check without trying the loader first. Right now the table will move up or
down.. the PAUSE key will release the X and Y motors and RESUME will
send the head back to Home. That's about it.:confused: Booting in diagnostic
mode just hangs, which points me to the EPROMS, but that's just a hunch
on my part.
Hopefully, this will correct a problem in the firmware if that's it. If not, I've
got someone with an EZ Bake oven and burner, but no EPROMS to copy.
I shudder to think what GCC will want for them :eek:

Thanks again for all the help!
C

Rodne Gold
12-21-2009, 11:43 PM
I have had many mercury repairs and owned at least 12 Gcc machines ...it does not sound like an eprom problem to me.
If the machine gets so far in the boot process , then it seems it is not getting one of its signals , like for example it needs a limit signal on the X and Y axis and if it does not get that (there is a tab on each axis that breaks a beam to establish that) then it wont work or boot properly and will give an error message.
If it boots and you lose functions - its most likely something else.
You can try unseating the conector to the display at the display module and reseating it and check its earth is 100%
On diagnostic boot mode , the table does not go up or down , thus if it fails there , it could be an issue where the table has hit a limit switch or the Autofocus is faulty too - check that - wind the table down manually a bit and check continuity in the AF probe cable and check the AF probe is not stuck in the up position.

Chuck Stone
12-22-2009, 7:44 AM
like for example it needs a limit signal on the X and Y axis and if it does not get that (there is a tab on each axis that breaks a beam to establish that) then it wont work or boot properly and will give an error message.

I'm not getting any errors, though. (I wish it would! at least I'd know
where to look..)

If it boots and you lose functions - its most likely something else.

I'm not even sure it is done booting, at this point. I just don't know
enough yet.

You can try unseating the conector to the display at the display module and reseating it and check its earth is 100%
On diagnostic boot mode , the table does not go up or down , thus if it fails there , it could be an issue where the table has hit a limit switch or the Autofocus is faulty too - check that - wind the table down manually a bit and check continuity in the AF probe cable and check the AF probe is not stuck in the up position.

I've re-seated the connector, but I didn't check the ground on it. I'll do
that next.

The Auto focus .. is that a photo interrupter? I never tried to look inside,
it's pretty small and my eyes aren't 20 anymore. :p

Thanks for the suggestions.. more things to check this morning!

Rodne Gold
12-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Autofocus is that sliding pin probe thing that allows you to focus automatically , on the side of the head. Often the pin gets dirty and sticks in the up position. Use a cloth mositened with wd40 or the like to wipe the pin clean and make sure its able to slide in and out its tube. Make sure its wires arent broken (I think it also has a thin ribbon cable , we replaced it with discrete wires - just 2 wires.
You will know its finished booting when the head homes after its initial movement.
I don't have mercuries anymore - just explorers and spirits - so I might be a little rusty.