PDA

View Full Version : Getting closer to cutting...

Bob Savage
12-20-2009, 3:43 PM
We got the X3 moved from my dad's shop to my garage without issue. I thought this thing was going to be heavy or something. ;) But seriously, I live on a hill, and have a nice grade even on my driveway, so there were some interesting challenges, but it was a very smooth move.

Now looking at the pictures, you might ask, "Bob, do you have a tiny little garage? Because that machine seems to be taking up quite a bit of room."

Well, apparently Joey and the boys at CAMaster thought I might be cutting some BIG stuff, and it turned out that this is a 4x10!! Good thing I didn't rent the 5x8 trailer...

I've got some other tasks to complete, such as ducting and getting the cyclone installed (having a friend who owns a metal fab shop build me a cyclone stand), so with the holidays here, I figure I won't be cutting until January. Still, I'm looking forward to getting online with Jim and the crew and cutting some air in the meantime, so that once I'm ready, I can start making chips!

Joey Jarrard
12-20-2009, 5:03 PM
Bob there is a area on the back of the machine that the router heads can not reach this is the area that is still black. we did a test cut on your machine and surfaced the table in the shop. The X3 is a 4X8 we always give about 4 extra inches in the 8 foot direction.

I have seen machines in a room that you could not walk around the CNC. your shop does look good and clean (for now).

I am glad you had an uneventful move I will talk to you when you need me.

Bob Savage
12-20-2009, 5:28 PM
Bob there is a area on the back of the machine that the router heads can not reach this is the area that is still black. we did a test cut on your machine and surfaced the table in the shop. The X3 is a 4X8 we always give about 4 extra inches in the 8 foot direction.

I have seen machines in a room that you could not walk around the CNC. your shop does look good and clean (for now).

I am glad you had an uneventful move I will talk to you when you need me.

Hey Joey,

I hope you had a great vacation.

Well, I saw the rails going all way to the end of the table, and assumed it was a 10', but no worries. 8' is what I wanted/ordered!

I'm about to get online and order some bits...

Looking forward to some training! I haven't even plugged the machine in, because I figured we'll do that via crosstalk and a webcam.

By the way, what's the aluminum doohickey for? Is that a probe for setting X/Y/Z?

Catch you soon!

Bob

Michael Schwartz
12-21-2009, 1:34 AM
Well, I saw the rails going all way to the end of the table, and assumed it was a 10', but no worries. 8' is what I wanted/ordered!

By the way, what's the aluminum doohickey for? Is that a probe for setting X/Y/Z?

Catch you soon!

Bob

Congrats!!!

4'X8' Is usually expressed as the maximum nominal cutting area leaving room for tool-paths, ramping, additional tools, etc... Its not literal like you would expect of a 15" planer, or a 12" jointer etc...

If its a flat plate with an alligator clip wired onto it probably is the Z-Zero Plate.

Edit** And one more thing, change your signature

james mcgrew
12-21-2009, 7:01 AM
camaster has a direct plug in and pinout for the aluminum touchplate, this will be used for setting all tools to each other and setting "Z" depth, i have a few tricks for using the home settings i like to use, it is 6:30am or so on the east coast so i will not wake you up but feel free to call and we will get you started. call joey for plug up and lets make some chips!!

get your manual so we can check pins and mark them in the manual, joey may already have all of this, also i like the table placement with the head facing the wall, i will get a pic of mine. eric mimms has an x3 as well

i keep telling joey to put a camaster sticker on the opposite side of the gantry but he never listens to me!!!:D:D:D:p

jim

Bob Savage
12-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Congrats!!!

And one more thing, change your signature

Thank you, and DOH! O.K., sig is change. I removed the newbie part because I'm hoping I can quickly resolve that classification.

camaster has a direct plug in and pinout for the aluminum touchplate, this will be used for setting all tools to each other and setting "Z" depth, i have a few tricks for using the home settings i like to use, it is 6:30am or so on the east coast so i will not wake you up but feel free to call and we will get you started. call joey for plug up and lets make some chips!!

get your manual so we can check pins and mark them in the manual, joey may already have all of this, also i like the table placement with the head facing the wall, i will get a pic of mine. eric mimms has an x3 as well

i keep telling joey to put a camaster sticker on the opposite side of the gantry but he never listens to me!!!:D:D:D:p

jim

Thanks, Jim. Hopefully I'll be able to get some time soon to get hooked up soon. I started work early today, so I may be able to call Joey this afternoon to get powered up.

Where's the manual located... nevermind, I'll check the CAMaster site. Actually, the PC desktop had something called CAMaster on it, which may be a manual. I'll check that when I get home later.

Got some bits ordered...

Other than "cabinet grade" are there any other requirements or advice for picking up my spoil board?

By the way, my dad has a very nice vacuum pump that he no longer uses and said I can "borrow" (probably indefinitely), so once I get up and running, I may need some advice on setting up a vaccum system.

Nicholas Bukky
12-21-2009, 12:26 PM
That sure is a clean shop! Are you planing on doing surgery in there?

I think of my self as a wood doctor, a Grain Surgeon if you will but my shop is no where near that clean!!:D

Looks great can't wait to see you cutting stuff!!!

Nick

Bob Savage
12-21-2009, 12:31 PM
That sure is a clean shop! Are you planing on doing surgery in there?

I think of my self as a wood doctor, a Grain Surgeon if you will but my shop is no where near that clean!!:D

Looks great can't wait to see you cutting stuff!!!

Nick

LOL! I'm just surprised that it took this many posts for somebody to mention it.

I doubt it's going to be that clean for long, but it sure does look pretty for now.

james mcgrew
12-21-2009, 10:44 PM
bob it was a pleasure to see your machine run tonight!!

jim

Bob Savage
12-21-2009, 10:52 PM
bob it was a pleasure to see your machine run tonight!!

jim

Man, you're telling me! Thanks again for the lesson tonight. I'm sitting here watching the machine run that file you put together. I may just create one of my own to watch it do some 3D air cutting. ;-)

Thanks again, Jim, I learned a lot tonight!

Michael Schwartz
12-22-2009, 2:25 AM
should I send you a flat rate box with some MDF Dust to break in your shop floor?

Robert Alexander
12-22-2009, 10:21 AM
LOL! I'm just surprised that it took this many posts for somebody to mention it.

I doubt it's going to be that clean for long, but it sure does look pretty for now.

Caution the following graphic photos are of a CAMaster machine only 3 weeks old. Viewer discretion is advised.

Keith Outten
12-22-2009, 11:16 AM
I knew this was going to happen!

You guys would get your machines setup and start having fun instead of working, well it is just going to have to stop! Get back to work :)

Michael, send him a box or dust and chips or I will :)

Life is good and getting better........

Guy Mathews
12-22-2009, 11:56 AM
should I send you a flat rate box with some MDF Dust to break in your shop floor?

Don't laugh! I shipped my brother Gary 50 pounds of sawdust last year for a Christmas joke. When he got the package he thought I used the sawdust for packing. He was in his backyard scooping it out trying to find a present for about 10 minutes. He finally realized I was screwing with him!!!!

I am going to hell for sure! :D

Bob Savage
12-22-2009, 12:49 PM

Only if it's mixed with magic pixie dust that can create more time for me. Between my job and the business of the season, I'm having difficulty getting the shop ready to make chips.

Caution the following graphic photos are of a CAMaster machine only 3 weeks old. Viewer discretion is advised.

That's a beautiful sight!

I knew this was going to happen!

You guys would get your machines setup and start having fun instead of working, well it is just going to have to stop! Get back to work :)

Michael, send him a box or dust and chips or I will :)

Life is good and getting better........

I don't expect the fun to stop anytime soon! After, this *is* just a hobby for me. :D

He was in his backyard scooping it out trying to find a present for about 10 minutes. He finally realized I was screwing with him!!!!

Now that's hilarious!

Joey Jarrard
12-22-2009, 4:26 PM
Keith how do think I feel, We build them and do not even get to play with them.:D

Keith Outten
12-29-2009, 2:55 PM
Joey,

I don't know how you do it :)

I'm afraid I would have to schedule a little break-in time on every new machine I built if I was in your position :)

Everyone must be traveling for the holidays, isn't anyone cutting this week?
I would be but I have to work on our new server and a major cleanup of my shop office :(

Bryan Cowan
12-29-2009, 3:31 PM
Joey,

I don't know how you do it :)

I'm afraid I would have to schedule a little break-in time on every new machine I built if I was in your position :)

I would be but I have to work on our new server and a major cleanup of my shop office :(

I cut aluminum every day Keith. I did cut my first personalized name puzzle out of birch last week for a Christmas gift for my nephew. I need to get that picture online.

Bob Savage
12-29-2009, 11:22 PM
This thread is more true than ever now! I'm almost done with the ducting, particularly related to getting the CNC hooked up to the cyclone. I should be done tonight, but am out with the family until Thursday, so I expect to chuck up some bits on Thursday and take a stab at making some chips without breaking some bits. ;)

Michael Schwartz
12-30-2009, 1:34 AM
Wasted Piece Wood - Check
Broken Clamp - Check
Mess on the floor - Check

Still have yet to break a bit, still not a member of that club :(

Going into the shop tomorrow. I need tweak the X-Car for square slightly and then I should have some more ambitious projects coming up shortly. Made some plywood blast gates the other day, nested and cut from half sheet of 1/2" plywood.

Bryan Cowan
12-30-2009, 9:02 AM
Still have yet to break a bit, still not a member of that club :(

What's your address? I'll send you half a dozen :D

Robert Alexander
12-30-2009, 12:12 PM

Keith, I am finishing up a big project (among 2 other jobs) for the cub scouts. I used 5 sheets of 1/2" ply for this job. I drew it up in autosketch, and cut it out on the Camaster. I was worried about alignment at first(this was my first big job on the new toy), because in some areas, there would be 3 parts bolted together, so good alignment was needed. Everything fitted together perfect. From the acyrilic mirror inlays on the individual tracks,to the track sections and inside support pieces. This pinewood derby track is 48' long, and can be taken apart and stored in a 20" x 20" x 96" box. I was only able to put 3 sections at a time together in my shop because of it's size.

Joey Jarrard
12-30-2009, 2:03 PM
Not at all what I had thought but it is better. this is cool Robert keep up the great work.

Bob Savage
12-31-2009, 5:32 PM
O.K., I've got the cyclone and ducting in and think I'm ready. I guess it's time to surface my spoilboard.

Nicholas Bukky
12-31-2009, 9:30 PM
Damn Bob it's about time!!!:D

Let's see some cutting!!! WAAAHOOO!

watch out for broken bits;)

Nick

Bob Savage
01-01-2010, 2:15 AM
Damn Bob it's about time!!!:D

Let's see some cutting!!! WAAAHOOO!

watch out for broken bits;)

Nick

Well, one thing is for certain, nobody needs to send me a bucket of MDF chips, because I've got an entire floor full of them now! I'm becoming an expert at leveling my spoilboard, that's for certain. I figure by the time I work through the initial hurdles, my 3/4" board will be about 1/64". :)

It's 10:22 PM PST, there's a party going on next door which is fortunately detracting from the noise of this machine, and I *am* going to cut something tonight. Not sure what, but even if it's simply a shallow grid on my spoilboard for aligning jigs/parts, I'm doing it!

Now, back to the MDF snow...

Bob Savage
01-01-2010, 5:08 AM
1:15 A.M. on January 1st, 2010. I'm 88% through cutting a 24"X32" butterfly. Yes, I said butterfly. I like Butterflies... Uh oh, tool change... now I'm back to the Harbor Freight special, which is making scary noises. Hope the neighbors don't freak... Back soon.

Joey Jarrard
01-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Great for you bob. show that fluterbye as my little girl calls them. :D